Why do people on this board read philosophy (especially ancient)?

Why do people on this board read philosophy (especially ancient)?

You do know 99% of philosophers were 100% wrong and are incompatible with science?

You made this thread 2-3 days ago.

Search the archive.

I'll save you the trouble, though:
>TL;DR you're a retard

Science hold up a mirror to a mirror.

Agreed. Just look at r/academicphilosophy. It is a mess!

if you think phylosophy and science study the same field, or contradict each other, you're far to dumb to opiniate on either matter

Science is a good for describing the world, but can never answer 'why' things happen. But I've already taken the bait, it seems

Ancient philosophy gives us the bases for scientific deduction; without the process of dialectics developed initially by ancient Poo-In-Loo scholars the modern scientific method would not have emerged.

All theory of knowledge is philosophy until you can actually physically pinpoint the firing of the neuron that triggers a person to call OP a faggot.

>science

Let's run it down:
> Plato: autistic writing that led to nothing
> Nietzsche: shitposter and also made the horrible Nazis possible with fellow shitposter Schopenhauer
> Descartes: absolute idiot with his mind and body seperation!
> Aristotle: almost right, sadly not enough right
> Kant: verbose and autistic writing that led to nothing
> Wittgenstein: odd bird that is ignored by linguistics
> Marx: his idea failed (see Soviet Union)
The list goes on and on.

>xD

sage and report

>can't argue against him

face it. Most philosophy is pure bunk.

sage

>philosophers who were wrong
>Heidegger

Pick one.

Why did you just caricaturise every single person you described, often even stating outright lies (Nietzche)
Why did you just write a buzzword post as if you were on /v/, /b/ or /pol/, when this is a slow board that doesn't respond to posts of that low quality except me because I'm bored?
Your actions aee a philosophical thinking that doesn't lend itself to the scientific method I think :^)

aww. You're cute. I wish I could tuck you into bed and breast-feed you.

So what did they achieve? Reporting is not the way to solve disagreement buddy. We are talking of their contribution to modern science.

They contributed very few to modern science. Ok, they didn't know better back in the day. But, that does mean they are irrelevant today!

You know what is funny? Modern science actually finds more things that are right in so called folklore than in philosophy. Prove me wrong.

Sorry what is science gonna say about your life except the fact that you need to survive long enough to have children and continue the line, which you probably won't be able to do since you're a total faggot?
Not every aspect of life depends on science, in fact there are many that don't.
You reek of someone who hasn't even read what he's criticising

not at all, people are just way too stupid to understand it nowadays (and in the past too), nietzsches writing makes so much sense but you're too brainwashed into thinking because the nazis leaned on his philosophy, the philosophy is bad.
This is so retarded because you judge the argumentation by its result (not even closely directly related result) which you think is bad because of your current knowledge. The argumentation (=philosophy) is there to change your current morals and your current depiction of the "truth"
while many are too lazy and to superficial to really care about these important facts there are other arguments made that aren't too deep for the vast, vast majority.

For example Schoppenhauer condems the not-using (because it's offending) of the word "weib" (term for woman) because the meaning comes not from the word but what the word describes and we see that very same issue today.

And I think americans are way too superficial to understand anything deeper than what they can show off with. That's why this thread exists and why the whole civilized world is turning into a leftist, stupid shithole

forgot to add, most philosophy is really shit
but not kant, schoppenhauer, nietzsche nor aristotles

oh and how exactly would the antichrist not be relevant today? lol

i was with you until you brought up language policing and dem ebul leftists

Science is an evil enterprise, its a ultimate goal is to kill man and achieve some form of pure functionalism... once you abandon vitalism life no longer exists you're just left with mere descriptive laws exempt from any form of progress
Science has very little utility beyond destroying leisure time and bringing death... we would be better off if it was defunded

take for example faggot, what is offensive about that? it is used as an insult but not because the word has some kind of magic insulting sound to it, you can only insult someone with the word faggot because of its meaning, claiming the other person is feminim and weak (or something along the lines, whatever the person thinks a faggot is)
change the word and it will be used as an insult at the moment people realise it means exactly the same.

>but not kant, schoppenhauer, nietzsche nor aristotles

They're all completely wrong.

STEMlords displaying thier mighty brains once again, debunking all philosophical thought in a since Veeky Forums thread.

I shall immediately burn all my books that have metaphysical or ethical implications, and bow at the altar of Science™, Empiricism™, and Rationalism™.

Except I am not STEM but studying psychology.

and how? teach me great philosopher
categorical imperativ is "wrong" in my opinion and I don't agree with Schoppenhauer the whole conception of "pity" (that's probably the word in english)

Of course you can disagree on some points but they can't possibly be completly wrong lol, they're trying to take the completly logical way
it just shows your ignorance and I bet you've probably read half a book of them.

>claims all philosophy is WRONG and POINTLESS whole providing no basis of an argument other than 'dude scientism lmao'
>not even a STEMlord, but studies pseudoscience, which is a perfect example of underdetermination

>when you read MacIntyre and realize science and rationality are just offshoots of an incoherent amalgamation of philosophical traditions

>pseudoscience
Tell that to Mr. Kahneman.

And that's bad Feng Shui.

This board gets sillier every day.

Influence of the Pynchmeister

You just got pynch'd kiddo!

Assuming that this isn't bait.
>Epistomology being the entire basis for the scientific method.
>Analytic philosophy being the mathematical-logical groundwork on which all scientific operations are built.
>Diamat
>Existentialism.

German philosophy is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of millions of people.

political philosophy guides how we view the state: what is the ideal citizen? what is justice? what should our laws be? is capital punishment ethical? should we be dumping this oil in the water? is democracy a better system than an oligarchy? a republic? a despot? was plato right in that a philosopher king should rule?

it used to be that science fell under the wing of natural philosophy. the two are linked and even have some crossover of ideas and concepts. they are both necessary because they cover two sides of the same, essential coin. lovers of wisdom

>The German rejection of German philosophy is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of millions of people.

Fixed that for you. The Nazis and their fore-runners were actively anti-philosophical in a "feels > reals" way. Look up Hegel's disputes with JF Fries and the German student fraternities.

Science is a metaphysical faith, in the same sense of almost every other religion/philosophy/etc throughout history, in that it holds 'truth' to be the highest good/ideal - even though there is no good reason to assume that truth is necessarily better than untruth.

Probably because 'truth' helps to invent medicines and cars and jets and spaceships and...

Funny because not even physicists believe that. Scientific realism is a philosophical position, same as instrumentalism and so on. Philosophical problems don't go away just because science makes progress; if they did we wouldn't be grappling with the same questions. They're complementary, not opposites.

You seem to be mistaking technology and science.

Even still, so what?

wow this really made me think

wew chap

he's probably the worst

But philosophers create the memes.

Scientists just shitpost with them.

You don't need philosophy to live.

>> Plato: autistic writing that led to nothing

Plato is right and Realism is correct.

Have a (You)

stemfag here, for other stemfags who are like undergrads or autists who just play with pipettes, y'all need to appreciate the fact our profession is grounded first and foremost in a specific metaphysical position (i.e., the universe is consistently causal) and a philosophical toolkit (inductive reasoning)

It's not just "ayy lmao science > philosophy"

You need oxygen, food and water to live, nothing else

What does this have to do with philosophy or literature

There's a meme in society of some kind of entrepreneurial post-capitalist industrial-scientific "productivity" thing, and they are expressing the meme because they are demi-conscious memebuoys floating on a slurry sea of currents you can only see if you zoom out.

It's exhausting even trying to give an answer to this question. You need to like phenomenologically bracket every single word and write a book explaining that they aren't even people. They aren't even conscious. They aren't even having "opinions". STEM people are like robots with human skin stretched over them. To say "they are dismissive of the humanities" is implicitly to admit I think there's a "they". STEM people don't even fucking exist. They are a statistical gaseous nebula of random particles wafting across continents and periodically expressing junk they picked up along the way. Why would you even talk to them?

Talking to a STEMfag is literally like being some kind of Buddha, ascending reality, then coming back down and talking to bees who were dudes in past lives. I'm sure these bee niggas can be saved or whatever, but let's just wait until they're back in human form. Don't walk around going "BEES, STOP BUZZING, PUT DOWN THAT POLLEN, LISTEN TO ME ABOUT HOW EVERY CONCEPTUAL CATEGORY YOU HAVE FOR EVEN THINKING OF THINGS WAS SHAPED FOR YOU BY AN UNCONSCIOUS SLUDGE OF MEMETIC POLYALLOY THAT FLOWS IN PREDICTABLE CURRENTS FROM YEAR TO YEAR THROUGH THE HIVE IN WHICH YOU WERE CONCEIVED"

Western philosopy ends with foucault, discuss