Copper in Drinking Water

Are brass and copper pipes really bad for drinking water? Then what is good?

Other urls found in this thread:

cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/disease/copper.html
purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2014/Q4/drinking-water-odors,-chemicals-above-health-standards-caused-by-green-building-plumbing.html
minnpost.com/second-opinion/2015/06/infections-chlorine-resistant-pool-parasite-are-rise-cdc-says
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC242125/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No they aren't, copper has anti-bacterial properties

There's nothing wrong with copper/brass pipes, galvanized pipes are bad.

PVC pipes are better though

i think copper is fine, an alternative is probably cast iron, but what company would cut into their profits that deeply in doing so

Copper is much longer lasting than the older iron pipes and isn't bad for you when ingested. It's also MUCH easier to work with when installing.

cast iron is less expensive than copper.

>PVC pipes
Enjoy your carcinogens and hormone-like chemicals leaching into your water

can you prove that?

Lead is the best pipe for drinking water. Makes you strong. I'm a water pipe expert and I know this from having seen quite a few water pipes in my time.

Yes

Solid gold pipes are probably the best you could get.

>isn't bad for you when ingested
You only need a trace amount though, significantly more than that is harmful.

cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/disease/copper.html

Did you read that page? There's little risk that can be completely mitigated by running the water for 15 seconds before drinking. If you don't live in a shit hole with poorly treated water like flint MI then you're fine.

>completely mitigated
shill harder, copperfag

Will a water filter completely mitigate the negatives of PVC pipes?

Your plastic pipes are probably not PVC though, I think they use polyethylene combined with other layers.

> Several types of plastic pipes in eco-friendly green buildings in the United States have been found to leach chemicals into drinking water

purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2014/Q4/drinking-water-odors,-chemicals-above-health-standards-caused-by-green-building-plumbing.html

Will a water filter save me?

I think I'll start drinking my own piss.

>The gasoline smelling water was safe to use.

USA! USA! USA!

from the city hook up to your house is probably pvc. PE is still used but it tends to spring leak quicker than pvc so it's not as common any more.

You're right, there's some PVC-type shit upstream which I have no control over. I know it's the whole street's backbone where I live.

They're very bad when they're used to partially replace lead pipes. The lead-copper interface leads to lead ions being leached into the water at a fairly dangerous ppm.
So don't do it half assed

Lead pipes are fine too for drinking water... if the pH is basic. If it's acidic, you get Flint, Michigan.

This was the main problem, because a lot of the old water mains and pipes away from people's houses are still lead and haven't been replaced yet.

To answer the question, OP, absorbing any metal in higher quantities isn't good, but that isn't necessarily the only thing at play.

Nah, solid silver ones. Anti-bacterial.

This
Do you want the bacteria to develop resistance to silver too? Eventually they will, its horrific how many things they can resist. There is even suspected to be strains of plague immune to ozone and chlorine gas, being researched in secret in China

>plague immune to chlorine.
Nothing is immune to chlorine aside from glass. No microbiological being can mutate their cell walls to somenow not dissolve in acidic solutions.

minnpost.com/second-opinion/2015/06/infections-chlorine-resistant-pool-parasite-are-rise-cdc-says

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC242125/

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC242125/
anything can be resistent if you don't give enough dosage. Usually the chlorine levels are 0.5< not to damage the people in the pool, and to eliminate most of the bateria. Make that percentage 20% of chlorine and lets see what happens.

>2k11+5
>Not building your immunity to cancer by using extruded asbestos piping.

will it eliminate the people in the pool?
im genuinely curious

yes it will, but it's irrelevant ;)

Copper pipes are the best, they're worth the most money when people steal them and sell them for scrap

Yes, it is bad.

We consume a lot of excess copper this way. Average westerner diet is already higher in copper and lower in zinc. This has a number of problems especially for men - high copper leads to the body holding onto estrogen and as a result also lowering testosterone. High copper has a proven strong correlation to depression

Zinc picolinate is an easy way to bring some balance back. It will displace the copper since they compete for absorption. It's a supplement. 100mg 2-3x a day for a week, then down to 50mg every few days indefinitely. Consume with a meal and something acidic.

Zinc p is the only form of zinc proven to be bioavailable and to actually change blood concentrations of zinc and displace copper. Others had no effect, except glycinate but it is rare to find. just go with picolinate

I personally only consume bottled spring water now but I know most people aren't willing to make that commitment. It is good though to avoid fluoride which has strong suppressive effects on the thyroid, which controls pretty much everything in the body.

>drinks bottled spring water from plastic bottles
enjoy your xenoestrogens leeching into your water and feminizing you over time