Hey, Veeky Forums

Hey, Veeky Forums.

I was wondering, if some ants can break away from the hivemind. What happens if they do if it's possible. I assume rebels get eaten or killed, but I don't even know if it's a documented thing. Just curious about it since google didn't help (probably my fault).

Thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

rt.com/viral/358225-ant-colony-soviet-bunker/
sciencemag.org/news/2015/10/most-worker-ants-are-slackers
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They'll die a meaningless death. Most workers are infertile and have short lifespans; any that escape have no shot of living and reproducing independently from their colony. You could go social science on me and argue that a day of freedom is worth it for the rebel worker, but in the grand scheme of things, Natural selection favors service to the queen which is why even Google can't give examples of successful rebellion.

Not looking for successful attempts, or that social science angle. Just want to know if it's a thing that happens.

there is no such thing as a hivemind user. Ants just follow a relatively simple set of rules, which results in useful collective behavior.

why the fuck is it needed to represent an ant to have blue eyes?

fuck this world.

Here you go.

This is what British people actually believe

2 of them might have a homosexual relationship and infiltrate another camp, and fuck the Queen there

>all this projection
They don't serve the queen, this isn't feudal Europe or modern day England.

Ants each have a function to perform that ensures the organism (the colony as a whole) survives and creates new colonies. But don't mistake this ordered structure for a human hierarchy!

Read the post nigger, I made no reference to England.
>projector accusing others of projecting
Britfag detected. What's it like knowing you are destined to be a lifetime plebeian since birth?

What if you somehow got an ant to stop working but still collect food from the food stores. Would the other ants try to stop it or would they not notice.

It does, but they die fast, usually killed by ants from a rival colony.

rt.com/viral/358225-ant-colony-soviet-bunker/

Extreme example, but note that it's mentioned that no reproduction occurs, it's all just fresh workers dropping down. They all kept performing their basic tasks as if they were still serving the queen until they died.

Sometimes I see workers from the same colony picking up other seemingly healthy workers from above their abdomens and walking around... sometimes the one being held is struggling, other times not. Once I saw one drag another this way and dropped it in water. Any idea what it could be? Do they confuse each other for ants from other colonies sometimes?

what happened to this frog :( ?

There isn't a literal physical connection in their brains to the rest of the nest you dumbass. They aren't borg. They aren't connected in a network.

Ants are individuals, there is no hivemind

The other ants would probably not notice. In fact it is sort of hard for an ant to know it is not stealing food from the food stores

Some ants appear to be consistently lazy and we don't kniw
sciencemag.org/news/2015/10/most-worker-ants-are-slackers

I thought that ants died if they got more than about 50 centimetres from another member of their kingdom?

He was released into a nice pond, unharmed.

There wouldn't be any reason for it and the ant couldn't really know so i doubt it.

You can literally go outside and take one ant from his colony. I'm sure he'll be fine.

been watching videos on ant keeping.
A lone drone would not survive without the hive
> he'll
*she'll

>He was released into a nice pond, unharmed
If you believe that guy, you've watched too much Disney

>using projection incorrectly

hahaha this article is hilarious

>According to the team, this suggests that inactivity isn’t merely a break between tasks, but might be an important part of the ants’ division of labor. Just what part remains unclear, but one theory is that the inactive ants are either too young or too old to work
they are lazy because they can, not because laziness has a purpose

I see. ants are much more similar to humans than I thought

drones are male ants. workers are female

if you're going to use terminology, don't fuck up as badly as you are.

Hitman ants probably

This has been helpful, sorta, which is what I expect from this place. Good job!

I'm actually taking an Animal Behavior course right now as an elective in my senior year, it's pretty interesting. Ants and other eusocial organisms are essentially one big organism, they act as a unified entity. Ants are incredibly simple organisms, basing all of their behavior on chemical/physical signals. A worker ant doesn't "decide" to do be sterile and work for the colony, it's born that way. The sterile worker ant has only one opportunity to contribute to the survival of its colony and it is incapable of doing anything else -- it can't decide to start its own nest elsewhere. Greedy/spiteful behavior is seldom observed in eusocial colonies because there's never really an opportunity for it.

To give you an idea of how robotic worker ants are in nature, look up "ant death circle."

There is no hive mind, individual ants don't think. An ant is a biological clockwork mechanism with a preprogramed set of responses to stimuli and sensors to allow it to detect those stimuli, and manipulators to act on those stimuli. If an ant is separated from her colony she will usually just starve to death, carrying out her one function alone until she dies of malnutrition, the environment, or is killed by a larger creature.

Bees might be a better hive species to look at for rebellions, occasionally workers will try to lay eggs in empty honey combs. If discovered a specific group of bees will destroy the egg, and publicly abuse the offending worker. If she perpetrates multiple infractions the police bees will dismember her and leave her outside of the nest to starve to death. Bees have a very low tolerance for social unrest.