What are the best horror short stories?

What are the best horror short stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pNIxW8VP378
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What is some good horror literature in general? I've largely avoided horror lit. What's good?

The Wendigo by Blackwood

Check out William Gay's Twilight

Most of Lovecraft's works. Start with Dagon and The Rats in the Walls.
Also the Lovecraftian collections "Black Wings" have some good stuff in them, though some are really disappointing.

>Blackwood
The Willows is great.

King actually has a few good ones. I liked The Man in the Black Suit. It was inspired by Hawthorne's Young Goodman Brown which is another great short story.

Pickman's Model by HP Lovecraft

Full Dark No Stars was a really good anthology of his.

Old Stephen King

Zombie is an interesting novella, insp. by Dahmer.

" The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door..."

turn of the screw

pit and the pendulum

fall of house of usher

grimms fairy tales

I've been meaning to read The Horror Stories of Robert E Howard

But I haven't yet

The Withered Arm by Thomas Hardy
Our Temporary Supervisor by Ligotti

Snow, glass, apples. The great God pan.

Nearly everything Ligottis done. Ramsey Campbell's stuff. Most of Lovecraft.

I'm reading that collection Everything is Eventual. It's actually kind of neat. Black Suit was nice and had a very southern gothic feel to it, almost like a Flannery O'Connor story. Everything You Love Will be Carried Away is a good one, felt like a Carver story.

Worms of the Earth is Howard's best story.

>based cat name
My favorite Lovecraft story is probably Colour Out of Space or Shadows Over Innsmouth

Here's one:

The last man on earth went to take a shit. The toilet seat was warm.

in;b4 women.

The last man ever was alone on a toilet. He farted. Did anybody hear it?

Your life is a short horror story

2spoopy

His pet dog

Kafka's The Vulture isn"t really "horror", but pretty dark (link to a prettt neat animated video adaptation at the bottom):

A vulture was hacking at my feet. It had already torn my boots and stockings to shreds, now it was hacking at the feet themselves. Again and again it struck at them, then circled several times restlessly round me, then returned to continue its work. A gentleman passed by, looked on for a while, then asked me why I suffered the vulture.

"I'm helpless," I said. "When it came and began to attack me, I of course tried to drive it away, even to strangle it, but these animals are very strong, it was about to spring at my face, but I preferred to sacrifice my feet. Now they are almost torn to bits."

"Fancy letting yourself be tortured like this!" said the gentleman. "One shot and that's the end of the vulture."

"Really ?" I said. "And would you do that?"

"With pleasure," said the gentleman, "I've only got to go home and get my gun. Could you wait another half hour?"

"I'm not sure about that," said I, and stood for a moment rigid with pain. Then I said: "Do try it in any case, please."

"Very well," said the gentleman, "I'll be as quick as I can."

During this conversation the vulture had been calmly listening, letting its eye rove between me and the gentleman. Now I realized that it had understood everything; it took wing, leaned far back to gain impetus, and then, like a javelin thrower, thrust its beak through my mouth, deep into me. Falling back, I was relieved to feel him drowning irretrievably in my blood, which was filling every depth, flooding every shore.

youtu.be/pNIxW8VP378

considering his fantasy stories could get pretty scary, I can't wait to see how the man handled horror stories.