So hes a meme right? i read up on him, idk even know how hes considered a legit "scientist". Same with Bill Nye...

So hes a meme right? i read up on him, idk even know how hes considered a legit "scientist". Same with Bill Nye. how come the scientific community allows this? they're honest to god frauds

>le same thread

He's basically a science PR guy. And that's OK.

What's stupid about this board is the autistic response when science becomes "pop-sci". The majority of scientists were inspired by "pop-sci" whether it was in the form of inaccurate biology books, sci-fi, or scientific op eds. Scientists embrace people like Tyson and Bill Nye because it normalizes scientific reasoning into the broader culture. This is good because it encourages rational, evidence based though and most importantly funding for the sciences. Your research, whether you're a mathematician or engineer is funded mostly by the public. The public having at least a dilettante's appreciation of science is good for research.

*thought

But Neil and Bill dont discuss anything new... they literally just cry about flat earthers and global warming... just dont see how they're taken seriously.

>le reddit detected, reddits fav scientist under attack, theyre mad!

>flat earthers
okay they should probably just ignore those retards
>climate change

This is an important matter that needs better debate and they are trying to get the public to follow evidence, rather than conspiracy. They may not be approaching the problem appropriately (completely discounting the other camp instead of asking them to provide clear evidence that contradicts prevailing models), but their goal is understandable.

Thirdly, that is not all they do. A lot of their work is explaining difficult scientific concepts in easy to understand terms.

To say they aren't beneficial to have around would be incorrect. As for being taken seriously, the scientific community at large appreciates the outreach they do. You're right, they're not active scientists but they do preach science.

LOL, trying to get public to follow evidence? i didnt expect to find this level of idiocy on here, maybe reddit. theyre political mouth pieces, being there is no smoking gun its humans fault... theyre hacks, just admit my dear friend

Sure thing brainlet.

lemme guess, you came from reddit? voted bernie, love the simpsons, hate CIS white males, and unironically believe in communism?

>NDT
hasn't really contributed much of anything worth much to science. leads a museum? is a major asshole to anyone who isn't a scientist, including other high-profile academic fields. is a beloved public speaker by pop-sci fans. has a good speaking voice, isn't ugly.
>Nye
pretty much exactly the same

Sure thing brainlet. :)

this.

just really baffled as to why no one calls him out on his falseness, maybe its cause hes a nogger?

yep

these faggots imply science communication isnt a huge part of modern science....

its part of our degrees now, fuckwits

>except for math; we know there is no fucking hope for those autists to be socially relatable

what's with /pol/ and their constant construction of retarded strawmen? "oh you agree with agw you must be a nu male BBC loving cuck cuck cuck sjw cuck race realism cuck from reddit"

it's embarrassing and always follows the same formula

So the people who shit on popularizers are denialists nutjobs too?
Mmmh

not from pol, its just so clear hes only famous cause hes black, hes done NOTHING to benefit the actual field of science, in fact he was booted from his research position in school cause he was an idiot. i just dont get why we have to treat blacks like little school kids and give them special privledge

>hes done NOTHING to benefit the actual field of science
m8, he's regularly in Washington raising funds for research institutions, of course he's done a lot for science

have you seen what these are for though? like where the actual money goes? Hint: its not science

Whats with calling people /pol/ then getting buttmad when someone rightfully accuses you of being a dumb mouthbreathing SJWtard ?

Sure thing brainlet. XD

Are you just pretending to be retarded, or do you not see the difference?

Thanks for confirming it :^)

>congress gibs money to research institutes
>"they don't use it for science guayz"

"everyone who proves me wrong is /pol/!" so is this lit in a nutshell now?

>And that's OK.

Not really, in my opinion they don't promote science at all, whenever I see them talk they just present results and a certainty to those results, but they never talk about methods and uncertainty. The effect of this has been to mislead the wider public into believing that science brings certainty (a belief which I suspect the general public already had, but has now been reinforced by these people), what this has allowed is for nefarious elements of society to introduce uncertainty to the "public debate", which means that otherwise good science is now criticised because it isn't certain. This obviously wasn't the intention but it's what's happened. If you want to see a "science PR" guy go watch Bronowski's "The Ascent of Man", in particular the episode "Knowledge or Certainty". If you want to watch people try and make a career as a tv personality, see Tyson or Nye.

/pol/ exists as a containment board for a reason. EVERY other board hates you. Even hiroyuki and mootles wanted pol gone. The problem is that if they got rid of pol the people would just infest other, normal boards, like /int/.

>this level of delusion
Why do you SJWtards can't contain yourselves from crying about pol in every fucking thread ? Do you have to drag your cancerous shitposting ritual in everywhere you go?

If you love containment boards so much, never leave yours

>make /pol/ threads
>talk like /pol/
>act like /pol/
>smells like /pol/
>I'M NOT /pol/ AEYKS DEE

>anything I don't like is /pol/
>my excuse is because I say so

Go be a BLM rapist elsewhere you fucking cancer. Nobody wants you here. Stay in your jailcell and dont post here.

Who are these shitposters that even keep bitching about some hypothetical """pol""" in every thread ?

You should really browse /pol/, friend.
You'll find that it's a place you would like a lot :3

/pol/s enemies are neoliberals(Which include the SJW), BLM activist who support copkillers white-haters, ISIS sympathizers, welfare leeching minorities, etc...

Take your pick.

So minorities who use government assistance are leeches but, what, whites do it aren't? You talk like a fucking retard, get called out for being stupid and cry about how you're "not" /pol/. Why don't you just fuck off back to /pol/ so you can circlejerk in your little echo chamber hugbox?

I used to think SJWs were just as annoying as you but you've proven yourself to be 10x worse.

>So hes a meme right?
Wrong, /pol/ack

While we're still on this topic, whatchu bastards think about Vsauce or Veritasium?

Veritasium has been shit lately. His older videos are amazing at simply explaining scientific concepts (and misconceptions). But now everything he puts out is pretty much him blogging about the philosophy of science and shilling for snatoms.

Vsauce is educational in not only science but a whole range of subjects (I'm only talking about his main channel). He isn't putting out as many videos now but I think the quality of his newer videos are pretty good. Sometimes they are all over the place but that's kind of his style and he puts a lot of work into it which is more than I can say about Veritasium. That dude has a degree in physics yet his career seems to be professional tourist.

When will the /pol/acks go back to /pol/and?

if a science channel has over 50k subscribers it is shit

except pbs spacetime (for now)

I think it's ok that they're really just an outlet for normal people to take some interest in science, if it's something that they wouldn't previously cared about. It becomes annoying/a problem when:
>people pretend they know everything about science because they watched cosmos with NDT (less significant)
>Nye/NDT go on about something not science related (politics/sociology/ect) and people think "we should listen to them because they're the smartest scientists in the world!" Even though Nye only has a bachelor's degree in engineering

oh no hes popular. That must mean that hes bad and I must not like him to sounds cool

i'd support him if he weren't a massive cunt when i met him

>This is an important matter that needs better debate
there are many much more important matters that get way less attention than global warming

and they dont talk about it in a sensible manner which turns it moot

I was actually quite surprised by how decent the PBS Spacetime series is.

Me too. I'm worried that the quality will take a dive within 6 months though as they turn to politicizing their content. People that run these things literally cannot resist their propagandizing urges.

What happened when you met him, user?

my university hired him as a speaker, and my club (our local chapter of SPS) got to have an hour long meeting with him.

he was very dismissive of "soft-sciences," and i only know this because HE brought it up, often.
the talk he gave was just him reading things written down by other people, eg Sagan's Cosmos.

he has a terrible superiority complex, and did nothing to show for it.

So did y'all even get any questions answered?

What about scishow? They seem fairly informative.

Take your spamshit to KEK

I found them to be propaganda "science" though I no longer remember why at this time.

Good posting user, appreciate it. (no sarcasm)

>That dude has a degree in physics yet his career seems to be professional tourist.
He's a qt tho

Science needs outreach to get people interested in science. This leads to a) more scientists (and therefore avoids stagnation), and b) funding, which is always hard.

Degrasse has a PhD in a scientific field
and Bill Nye has a bachelors in a non-scientific field.

Take from that what you will, but they are no where similar in comparison.

>tfw have more peer reviewed publications than bill nye the "science" guy and black "science" man.

Neil "The Grass" Tyson.

>the people would just infest other, normal boards
They do that regardless.

>everyone who hates /pol/ is an SJW
Hot, SPICY meme right here.

They promote a religion, not science or solid rational thought.

How is he a meme? Do you know what a meme is?

For sure, well put. Woke.

The word meme got a new definition in 2016

What would you do if you were a meme?

I get it
I'm also tried of the same topics they talk about
I think they should focus more on new theories or maybe new studies I don't know.

He's mildly competent and black.

That means he gets a free-ride to fame and free promotions within the institutions he works with.
That way the institutions have a public face that "proves" they aren't racist, and it virtue-signals to progressives.

They should focus on more pressing matters like aether or not I can fuck an anime butt in virtual reality within the next decade.

Cringing at the comments saying "bcuz black" fucking whineyass faggots.

Many black scientists are not used as "tokens" for laymen because theyre simply boring people.

Tyson is animated and charismatic.
You autistic whiney bitches should take that into consideration.

>inb4 sjw

Of course his skin colour has something to do with it, probably alot, but to suggest that this alone has made him his reputation is fucking retarded.

Most of the asimov panels are on youtube you faggot

eh, whatever, at least it's better than Christianity and Islam

>if you're passionate about something, it's just like a religion
I wish protestant apologists would stop using the "everything is a religion" meme argument, this is really embarassing.

So basically its the same attitude that Veeky Forums posters consider themselves above.

All this salt

A man can dream

their new vid on 'harmful speech' is a big clue to their retarded mentality, crying and prostrating himself because he had to say the word faggot, boo fucking hoo sheltered fags

The dude writes the episodes himself

I'll confirm this. Have had multiple similar experiences. Guy is a pro try hard. Funny thing is that he rubs SJW types the wrong way, so that might be why he refuses to address certain 'issues' in public.

I'll generally agree that he is, overall, a good thing for science despite being completely insufferable in person.