Remember this? It turned out to be a huge flop even possible fraud. All the patients are dead, surgeon has been sacked

Remember this? It turned out to be a huge flop even possible fraud. All the patients are dead, surgeon has been sacked.

bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37311038
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Macchiarini

Clever scam 2bh

Why haven't this man's hands been removed and his tongue cut out so he can stop killing with his lies?

Poor patients died horribly, their fake tracheas came loose and they choked to death on plastic and blood. I'm saddened because I was really excited by this, everyone was talking about "solving the organ donor shortage with 3D printed organs"

>"hey guys ENIAC is interesting and all but it's very impractical this computing crap is never going anywhere"
ITT

what really confuses me is the whole "plastic tracheas" thing. I remember reading when this trial was occuring that the tracheae are made of biodegradable materials, and that after the stem cells create a new trachea in the patient, the scaffold would degrade?

Is there evidence it was fraud? Didn't many people including scientists look over his work before the first operation?

It's a really sad happening for science but I don't want to jump to conclusions

I feel even worse for those scientists that reviewed it. Careers gone down the drain.

yeah what an asshole. wasnt he part of the nobel prize commitee?

That sucks.

Nah, one of the big scientists at my uni was embroiled in a huge scam. This Korean guy was completely falsifying ridiculous results, claiming he could induce somatic cells to become totipotent. He was convicted of fraud and went to jail but the guy at my school was just like "oops, looks like I got BAMBOOZLED!!" and just had to go to a few meetings where he shittalked the fraudulent guy. He's still very productive.

That's what you get for trying to play god.

Amen.

haleluya

That's a cool looking fleshlight

Yeah this has been a huge scandal here in Sweden. It's been all over the news. Most of the hospital board and a bunch of other high up people, some of whom are in the national science board and and nobel prize bla bla. The reason was bascially a three part documentary for tv that exposed how everything was a fraud and that the hospital had treatened to fire a bunch of doctors who tried to call out his scam s few years ago also. Very interesting and sad documentary. Felt really sorry for the patients that died. They were so happy that they were going to git gud and then they just ended up slowly choking to death on nectrotic tissue and by not having a thracea

ENIAC wasn't created by a con man...

The guy seemed like a huge narcisist and probably couldn't deal with the fact that his stuff didn't work after it had been so hyped so he just went for it anyway

Could someone explain what the artificial trachea thing was, and why it didn't work?

I remember reading awhile back that the Japs had successfully grown "3d Printed" organs, and I know for a fact some company grows liver tissue for laboratory research (Albeit only tissue, not a whole functioning liver).

Was this a completely plastic trachea? Could they not get the body to accept it? Or what?

it was an artificial trachea
it didnt work cause people died

fucking google it

He basically removed the patients trachea and replaced it with a plastic one thats been dipped in stem cells. Did not work

sounds like my 3rd grade science project
yes, I was molested.

Do experimental treatments EVER work?

Oh my god who cares if a couple people die in the first wave.

You think all our scientific progress in the past was accomplished with 0 human deaths?

Grow a spine, people.

or get one surgically implanted

>Could someone explain what the artificial trachea thing was, and why it didn't work?
Turn off your adblocker, and you will see various advertisements for artificial tracheas here. There's even one for your little sister!

Literally every treatment we have now was an experimental treatment at some point.

>be named Macchiarini
>pull some shit like this

>bedrest was experimental

At some point someone said 'stay in bed and see if you feel better'