Mercury pollution in the US

Why is there so much Mercury in our water?

Even worse, it appears to be of a type of Mercury that is far more toxic than normal, Methylmercury. When its combined with meth like this, its almost twice as toxic as normal Mercury... We all know where meth comes from, but where does the Mercury come from? And who is combining them like this to such destructive effect? Its hard to believe there are any eco-terrorists out there, so its likely an industry of some sort, but what industry could use Methylmercury?

Other urls found in this thread:

medicinenet.com/paranoia/symptoms.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My bet is on an industry connected with seas, rivers, lakes etc because the Methylation happens underwater.

As we all know, once Mercury enters the body, it can never be removed and accumulates constantly causing increasing mental retardation and other serious problems. Its best to ingest as little of it as possible to avoid toxicity, though it seems hard to avoid Mercury if its in the water, air, and soil all at once.

And this isn't even scratching the surface on water pollution, the water in the US is also polluted with organic chloride chemicals, petroleum byproducts, organophosphates, radionucleiotides, ammonia, urea, sludge and sewer waste, pharmaceuticals, biomedical waste like sharps, faeces, and toxic microorganisms and parasites. Its some of the most dangerous, filthy water on the planet.

Industrial scale chemistry creates a whole lot of toxic waste, or it could be just leakage from stored materials.

There were about 4 million adherents of Judaism in the U.S. as of 2001, approximately 1.4% of the US population. According to the Jewish Agency, for the year 2007 Israel is home to 5.4 million Jews (40.9% of the world's Jewish population), while the United States contained 5.3 million (40.2%).

I don't think there are enough Jews in the United States to really influence things that much. And to suggest that they have a conspiracy to poison our water with Mercury seems outlandish and stupid.

Mercury is so dangerous, you have to wear a hazmat suit and full protection to handle even a small amount of the chemical. What is it even good for? Don't we have safer replacements for thermometers these days? All the Mercury on Earth should be rounded up and sent into the Sun or poured into a safe place where it cannot leech out and foul our waters.

I would be worried about this but I live in Canada

>What is it even good for?
Isn't it a necessary component in manufacturing or synthesizing chemicals and materials that don't contain mercury?

Canada has voted to ban Mercury-containing products and the production of Mercury in their country, so good for you!

Mercury has a variety of health effects, and if any of these sound familiar and you've been exposed to Mercury, it might also be the cause of these health effects.

First of all, mercury is used in fluorescent lighting, which is very common and ubiquitous. The modern world could not function without these lights and there are no suitable replacement for their bright white light of high lifetime and reliability (and low electricity consumption)

Also Sodium Hydroxide, NaOH, an EXTREMELY important basic chemical for many industries, is produced in a reaction cell with an electrolysis reaction (the Chloro-akali process) that requires mercury, basically a brine solution sits mixed with Mercury in a reaction vessel and then electrolysis is conducted which separates the Chlorine from NaCl in the brine, and a mixture of gases leave the reaction vessel. First of all this produces crucial Chlorine, and also the free Na reacts with the water to produce NaOH, caustic soda. The mercury in this process is in a CLOSED LOOP and is recycled, so none of it should be polluting ANY environment, but no industry is perfect.

Organomercury compounds are very interesting and important in chemistry, they are the only simple metals that can directly react with aromatic rings for instance.

It is also used in dental fillings, known as amalgams. Ever had a tooth filled? You have mercury in your mouth now sucka

Embrace the toxics because every modern convenience you have literally depends on them.

>combined with meth
>We all know where meth comes from
>who is combining them like this

the jewish owners of the US have been spreading these accumulating toxins all over the country for a long time.

Same reason they want to bring in brown foreigners.

go back to /pol/ pls

Considering that the majority of the deposits is around the Mississippi and it's surrounding river valleys and tributaties, I'm going to say industrial and agricultural runoff

>tfw in the 1980s you could eat whatever you wanted
>tfw in the 1990s consumption advisories starts
>tfw in the 2010s you could only eat 1 fish a week
>tfw can now no longer eat fish anywhere I live because of so much mercury

>The modern world could not function without these lights and there are no suitable replacement for their bright white light of high lifetime and reliability (and low electricity consumption)

LEDs are a thing now, you know that right? At most, they have lead-based solder on their PCB.

>Mercury in a reaction vessel

It doesn't require it, it is just more efficient.

>aromatic rings

The world could do without those.

>amalgams

Which is why gold fillings, ceramic fillings, composite fillings, and gold crowns exist.

Try harder, Mac McFarland.

Nigga aromatic rings are ridiculously common in living organisms

Because you idiots crack open the ground and spread it throughout every water vein and source possible.

Fucking morons.

My knowledge of US geography is incredibly poor, but isn't that pretty much a map of coal extraction?

>As we all know, once Mercury enters the body, it can never be removed
Incorrect. It's readily excreted by thhe kidneys and it a lesser extent, the lymphatic system. Some of it will become bound up in tissues, or enter in a form that cannot be removed by the body, in which case DMSA etc can be used for removal.

Not downplaying mercury toxicity at all, but there are solutions.

Composite fillings are endocrine disruptors. Estrogenic, etc.

Long term bruxism caused my fillings to fall out years ago.

White people are the cause of most destruction of natural habitats of the world. If industrialization did not happen we would still have alot of drinking water.
Small pox wouldn't happen either.

Name one example of an aromatic ring that occurs in our bodies?

Last time i checked these rings are toxic because the body can only break down straight chains and they build up in our DNA causing who knows what.

Typical shill at it again.

Benzene.
Purine.
Quinoline, sometimes.
[...]

For fuck's sake. Why do you think incomplete combustion generates benzene etc. Come on user.

>All the Mercury on Earth should be rounded up and sent into the Sun
>you have to wear a hazmat suit and full protection to handle even a small amount of the chemical

you're mistaking dimethyl mercury for normal old mercury

normal mercury doesn't penetrate the skin layer so a respirator is pretty much all you need to handle it

dimethyl mercury on the other hand goes right through your skin, gloves, and is transported directly into cells

acenaphthene
acenaphthylene
anthracene
benz[a]anthracene
benzo[a]pyrene
benzo[e]pyrene
benzo[b]fluoranthene
benzo[g,h,i]perylene
benzo[j]fluoranthene
benzo[k]fluoranthene
chrysene
dibenz[a,h]anthracene
fluoranthene
fluorene
indeno[1,2,3-c,d]pyrene
phenanthrene
pyrene

>Typical shill at it again.
medicinenet.com/paranoia/symptoms.htm

Processed food my friend. It's got all the nutrients without the nasty natural shit.

>Processed food my friend. It's got all the nutrients
Lol.

Fucking estrogen

>Typical shill
The shill gambit needs to be a bannable offense on Veeky Forums

>Mercury in our water
two words: mine tailings

>Lack of regulation on dangerous chemicals
>Surprised when you get fucked in the ass

Hence the ever increasing numbers of 'non-specific gender' humans in societies where tablet contraception is rife.

>you can actually be called a shill for basic chemical compounds
The shill même was a mistake

>when combined with meth

Someone failed Ochem

Not sure if you were seriously implying that, but methylmercury has nothing to do with Meth, but with a Methyl group (CH3-) attached to the mercury. Yes, it is infamously toxic, and yes, there are industry processes where it somehow forms. But it is also formed by bacteria out of naturally occuring mercury, and you will always get mercury into wastewaters.
The part about accumulation is very true.
Pure unoxidized mercury as a metal is not that toxic unless inhaled, actually. The chem profs teaching at my uni claim it could be swallowed with no greater effect (does not dissolve in acids or bases and isn't metabolized; of course no one ought to try that out).
The part about NaOH is not the whole truth. There are other procedures not involving Hg (the amalgam process does, the mebrane and diaphragm process don't; look up chlorine alkali electrolysis for that)
Fun fact, arsenic is also metabolized to arsenobetaine in some fish, people argue about if it has any kind of toxicity or might actually even have a higher LD50 than NaCl, or table salt.
>More efficient
It is actually inefficient electricity-wise. The advantage compared to others is that the products are the cleanest and purest.
>There is no need for aromatic rings.
Good riddance to tryptophane, histidine, phenylalanine and tyrosine it is. Also aspirine.

(You)

bumping this dumpster fire of a thread