/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Taboo Edition GRI

What is your favourite taboo sff books?

Did you ever get a boner from reading fiction?

Does rape, or incest scenes in sff mark a huge red flag?

What's the last sff book that contained taboo writings?

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.mobilism.org/search.php?keywords=gene wolfe&sr=topics&sf=titleonly
amazon.com/Book-New-Sun-complete-vol/dp/1568658079/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470415507&sr=8-1&keywords=the book of the new sun complete gene wolfe
amazon.com/Shadow-Claw-First-Half-Book/dp/0312890176
amazon.com/Sword-Citadel-Second-Half-Book/dp/0312890184/
amazon.co.uk/Book-New-Sun-Citadel-MASTERWORKS/dp/1857987004/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470416108&sr=8-4&keywords=book of the new sun
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sanderson and rothfuss are the best fantasy authors of the 21st century

Across the Nightingale Floor is the first book in the Tales of the Otori series.

I read it ages ago but remember liking at least the first couple books in the series.

Do I think GRI is a /sffg/ meme?
Do I want to think that?

I bought Railsea the other day when I was really tired.

Requesting less famous gene wolfe stuff if anyone has it on Mega or something

>forgetting based Cline

You were answered in the previous thread, the answer remains the same.

There is no Gene Wolfe bibliography on the torrents.

Hey guys, I'm new to reading and I think this would be the best place to ask about books that are similar to the Fallout games (more like 1,2 and new vegas) I would really like to read a book with the same feel and atmosphere as the game.

The Stand by Stephen King

Canticle For Leibowitz

You won't post a link, but you'll go to the trouble of posting your smug non-response twice.

The Road by Corncnob
Canticle for Leibowitz
Lucifer's Hammer
Deus Irae

Never played the game but, metro 2033, and roadside picnic. If I recall fallout is post nuke winter right? Those books right up your alley.

>sffg is two persons alone
>the one asking, and the one answering

forum.mobilism.org/search.php?keywords=gene wolfe&sr=topics&sf=titleonly

Are you happy now? Are you content? That was literally one of the first google results for "gene wolfe ebooks", by the way.

>fallout is post nuke winter
More Mad Max irradiated desert
Honestly the best I can think of is the Dark Tower series, but I've only read the first two books.

Not exactly. I never used Mobilism before hence it didn't appear on it, I looked on torrents, libgen and bookzz, they didn't have it. I wouldn't have asked otherwise.

Thanks, some of them sound really good

Metro 2033 had a different feeling (I only played the game)
I saw that roadside picnic is a major inspiration for STALKER games. Not exactly what I asked, but a really great rec, this book is right what I would love. Thank you all!

Also thanks. Sadly the only short story collection they had were strories from an old hotel.
I'd really like to read his non fiction in the book of days.

People are always asking me what my favorite X is, cheap smalltalk or something. Questions like this are difficult because I can't not take them seriously. Eventually I will pick an X, just to have a canned response. It doesn't end there however, the initial choice may be flippant to some degree, but once made has to be true. This can cause me to go a bit overboard, X IS my favorite after all.
This in no way extends to soliciting ancient lesbians for carnal gratification.

Please Like and Subscribe

Yeah that one is on piratebay but it lacks many core works like Island Of Doctor Death.

.... what?

Can anyone recommend any good fantasy or sci-fi with a focus on like religion/theology, kinda like A Canticle For Leibowitz?

It doesn't have to be a real religion, just something with well developed religious systems

Which part confuses you?

Dhalgren made me pretty uncomfortable. I stopped reading after the THIRD sex scene within 100 pages. I don't care if your book has sex, but three times is a little much.

Oh come on... literally everyone has atleast one of these

The Sparrow and A Case of Conscience are both good Jesuits in Space books. The Doomsday book is incredible and features a tine traveler in 14th century England with with a very central role for the church (no spoilers). Ted Dekker's Circle trilogy is straight up christian. Also Robert J. Sawyer's Calculating God reads like his theological thinking, fictionalized.

I'm confused - literally none of Sanderson's original worlds follow the stereoptyical fantasy map like that. That's one of his hooks, the creative worldbuilding.

>three times
lel delany a shit, and dhalgren a shit too. Lucky you didn't read it out. It's FAR more then 3 scenes.

I don't know what your thoughts on Sanderson are, but all his works revolve around divinity to some extent, the man is literally obsessed with the idea of humans as gods (whether masquerading as them, trying to become one, etc.).

*Warbreaker is about a god that doesn't believe in his own religion

*Elantris is about the gods suddenly turning into zombies

*Mistborn (all of them) are about religion in a lot of ways, particularly the third book (Hero of Ages) which largely revolves around some characters trying to mantle godhood, and a sort of priest trying to discredit every religion he used to research

*The Stormlight Archive's divinity connection is more tangential, but it's kind of about a world where god died

*Legion is about someone using a camera to prove god

Probably more examples that I'm forgetting.

Maybe worth a shot if you're into that sort of fantasy.

About to buy Book of the new sun by Gene Wolfe
Can anyone tell me if link related is the complete version of it, it says it contains "the second two volumes of a four volume novel"

amazon.com/Book-New-Sun-complete-vol/dp/1568658079/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470415507&sr=8-1&keywords=the book of the new sun complete gene wolfe

Can't find anything with a complete collection on Amazon

That edition is terrible, just buy these two. They're cheaper too
amazon.com/Shadow-Claw-First-Half-Book/dp/0312890176
amazon.com/Sword-Citadel-Second-Half-Book/dp/0312890184/

How does the edition I linked you have 950 pages, and claims to only have the last 2 volumes(Citadel and The sword of Lichtor)
While the 2 you linked me have only 840 pages but are supposedly the whole book?
I dont get it

amazon.co.uk/Book-New-Sun-Citadel-MASTERWORKS/dp/1857987004/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470416108&sr=8-4&keywords=book of the new sun

Then you got this one which is supposedly just one book but has 650 pages..

Is this the first book you're gonna read? Font, intros and so on. Don't stress it.

is completed Conan chronicles worth a purchase?
i don't see it on the recommended list but, anyone read it?

I read a few of these years ago, but I think I lost interest around the third book.

Thanks! I'll definitely check those out.

Ive read quite a lot of Sanderson actually so I definitely get what you mean.

Ireally liked the church or w/e in the stormlight archives all these different cadres worshipping the same god but through different ways and conflicting with one another; I suppose I should say it's books with an interesting focus on unique, developed organised religion like that that I'm looking for

Howard's Conan is great. A free man, from the times before Dark Lordism squelched the genre

where do you start with borges?

Have you considered actual theology?
If not, Book of the New Sun and Wizard Knight, after all Wolfe is the best religious writer in science fiction.
Not terribly important with him, but Fictions or Aleph.

Conan and Solomon King are great if you can handle 30s purple prose.

>You will never clean Vin's soles with your tongue

All the people on my friends list rated the Gunslinger a 4+, even ones who I've seen as really tough raters in general.

I didn't hate it by any means but I mean, I don't really feel there's much there to blow you away either. Its kinda too short to do so and its easily one of the least self-supported(?) books I've seen (as in most of the shit really doesn't make any sense at the time of reading it, although I'm sure the picture will become clear with the next books). Also its one of those books where its rather easy to tell from the writing that it was done really early in the author's career

It was entertaining enough and I liked the MC but hell even as short as it was I felt like the plot plodded on a couple occasions.

Whenever my personal rating is so different from the norm I have to wonder if I'm crazy or overharsh. Just me, or overrated?

You need to rate the Gunslinger at least 4 stars or you won't have enough stars to cut out to describe the relative quality of the later books

Who are you?

Sounds like they have shit taste, book 1 is pretty bad.

Bill, Connor, I am disappointed.

you can't get more taboo than bakker...to bad there's no real discussion going on around these parts.

Shouldve been here when TGO just caem out, now save your autism for Unholy Consult next year.

>I wish I had a way with girls, like Mat and Perrin do
>I wish I had a way with girls, like Rand and Mat do
>I wish I had a way with girls, like Perrin and Rand do
Never fails to make me smile

>Mat having a way with girls
>married to Tuon

Wew Lad

I've read a couple things by Samuel Delaney, but I don't recall them living up to his naughty reputation.

If there wasn't rape, pedophillia, and poo poo eating, it wasn't one of his "naughty" stories

Are you comparing it to the other novels are you saying the whole series is rotten?

Learn not to be so fucking retarded user

What?

Rand somehow ended up with 3 wives so I'd say he had the best handle on women.

You would probably enjoy a lot of Paolo Bacigalupi's short fiction, Pump Six is a great anthology.

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan has a really robust religious system written into the book that really impacts the characters, and it's a fantastic book to boot.

Hopefully this is the right thread. I remember reading a collection of science fiction short stories as a kid, and I can't find it now. I don't remember anything about it other than 1 story:
>crazy scientist dude makes a robot
>it's self replicating and makes more robots
>they're self replicating and make more
>there's a war of sorts where the robots are turning all mechanical things into more robots
>somehow the humans win at the end

Sorry if it's a bit vague, I've done some Google searches and can't find anything. Help with a title would be appreciated.

A shame about what happened to the rest of the series

About what year did you read it and do you know if it was old at the time?

Tower Lord was pretty great too, but yeah Queen of Fire was an upset.

Sometime around 2004, it was very old already though, it was just sitting around in a family friends beach house.

The more PoVs he added, the worse it got

A shame, I really enjoyed blood song

>The more PoVs he added, the worse it got
How many fantasy series does this accurately describe?

Too many

Why is it that an epic fantasy like the bible can keep a massive but cohesive narrative in one book but others can't?

Whoa sick reddit humor. I bet you got a lot of upvotes for that on /r/fantasy.

>cohesive

nah man, nah

>old testament god
>terrible but fair and benevolent, worthy of love ,respect and worship
>new testament god
>Sadistic, cruel and hateful of humanity, worthy of nothing more than fear, loathing and despair
The bible is anything but cohesive since it can't even get it's main character right.

Think you got those swapped senpai

>Old Testament God
>Literally got so pissed at humans he flooded out everyone but his chosen few
>Benevolent

I'm waiting for the twist which explains why all the mistings and mistborn are paranoid psychopaths to be that they're all being driven insane by heavy metal poisoning

If you've actually read the bible from cover to cover than you'll understand how Jesus is pure evil while the jewish god is pure love. Remember how all the supposed 'evils' which the old testament god committed were just physical, e.g death and destruction. Contrast that to the new testament god who has necessarily committed all of the above but with the added bonus of having ALL of those souls being tortured in his personal rape dungeon.
And where did their souls end up? Under the christian god they've been screaming in excruciating pain for thousands of years. The christian god is the real scoundrel here.

Do I want someone to respond to this post?

That's okay, the other two books aren't very good. One's an okay prequel, the other is a sequel that goes out of it's way to point out how miserable everyone's lives ended up. Whole series is frankly a massive downer, like the author completely misunderstood the whole bittersweet ending theme that is so common in Japanese stories.

>Allomancy having anything to do with psychopathology

>>old testament god
>>terrible but fair and benevolent, worthy of love ,respect and worship

Yeah if you're a Jew.

The OT God performed terrorist attacks on Egypt until his demands were met, just like ISIS. Actually I think even a fucking mudslime would have had second thoughts about killing that many totally innocent newborns. I'll take Jesus's God over that asshole any day.

No you don't, you already know the answers.

senpaitachi, should i read the mistborn sequels (the wax and wayne things)?
the original trilogy was alright

Yeh they're good. Best character, too.

Hyperion & Fall Of cover religion a bit.

>kat and piratebay down

The hell? What's the next biggest thing?

piratebay.se works fine for me in spaghettiland.

While I'm at it I will also complain that our sff scene sucks massive donkey balls aside from a few e-publishing independent houses.

Booksee
libgen
Bookzz
Audiobook bay

kat is already back up

Its a pretty solid new series. I was hesitant to pick them up, but its been a fun ride so far.

>tfw started reading Island Of Doctor Death to take a break from WoT book 11 and now I can't go back to WoT because I remembered the concept that books can be good, which took me eleven WoT books to forget

Just now trying to get into scifi, picked up a copy of Dune. Think it's a good entry point?

Doesn't really matter what book you start with.
Anyhow it's more fantasy than scifi and I thought it was pretty bad overall.

dune is good, idk about entry points or things like that

Kek.

I love Wheel of Time, but this reminds me of WoT more than anything else.

Why are WoT covers so garbage tier?

They look like they were done in the 30s, like fucking Conan covers, was this intended?