Who was smartest philosopher

who was smartest philosopher

Kant, easily, without any sort of doubt. Kant is both the start and end of modern philosophy. Everyone claiming to follow in his continental tradition has failed him - everyone who came before him could not begin to match his influence on the philosophical discipline.

Immanuel Kant is the most important and profound philosopher in human history.

>'Was'

Is Sam harris

Intersting. And who do you think understood life the best?

Me, when I was fucking your mom. When I came into her sweet pussy and my superior cum moved into her tender uterus, I understand life that point. Life is about the pleasure I get from tearing your mother in half.

You're lying. Ergo you don't know

how would you even quantify such a thing?

>Smartest
I'd be willing to believe one of those mathematicians-turned-philosophers like Wittgenstein or Descartes had the highest IQ. You tend to find a lot of them have some vague tendencies towards believing in something like a God. Liebniz, Spinoza, Wittgenstein and Descartes for instance.

The greatest philosopher is Epicurus however, as he is the one of recognised that happiness is the undeniable and absolute Good in the world - and that all it takes is to look inside yourself to see it.

Nietzsche

Richard Dawkins--author of The God Delusion

why

Whitehead

probably a physicist

i would say Feynman

his later works are an embarrassment

Good post. Include me in the screencap.

Fuck off Veeky Forums

Nietzsche

Me,
DEPBATE ME FAGGOTIES

WHY, IM CURIOUS

Wittgenstein was no mathematicians, her research in mathematics or logic was pretty much zero, although we can be pretty sure that we was proficient at both. The studies in logic with Russell are what we would call today philosophy of logic than logic (since logic today is usually understood as mathematical logic) - in some ways the logic they study was an hybrid, but more philosophical than mathematical.

I agree with your point though. But there are some obvious exceptions like Newton, whose philosophical work is completely forgotten.
An it'd be possible to include Kant among the philosophers you mentioned, it is possible to say that he understood fully the mathematics and sciences of his time, consider that he wrote various treatises in natural philosophy (now science, in particular physics) and wrote metaphysical foundations of natural science to give 'explain' Newton's principia.

You just haven't processed it enough.

Aristotle, obviously.

Diogenes!

y'all be footnotes to Plato nigga

Plato

probably tylo be chillin

spinoza

I'd say Wittgenstein. His work confused all those of their day and he appeared to be thinking on a completely different, latteral train of thought. You could say that was just him being slightly unhinged, but I'd argue it was just how he saw the universe and made sense of it.

That and he managed to make Bertrand Russel pause for thought with his "All philosophical and ethical problems are just a fundamental failing of the application of language" argument.

Who was the most successful in life? I'd say Hegel.

Max Stirner

That's from the LSR project. Didn't know about any English versions. Cool. Laska introduced me to Will Reich.

Yeah either Wittgenstein, Kant or Aristotle.

I think Nietzsche, overall. He's always struck me as the most 'honest' - and I would say that thus far, he has been the last to initiate any sort of 'Copernican Revolution' in philosophy (à la Kant/Hegel/Schopenhauer/etc).

I find that his argument in favour of life affirmation had a key flaw, however. Critical to his argument against nihilism/pessimism, is the idea that we have no vantage point from which to judge life/existence as a whole - and we have too many vested interested to judge these things impartially in any case.

However, in one stroke he equally (and unwittingly) renders any arguments *in favour* of life just as groundless.

Hence the absurdists win.

>hegel
>successful

He was a charlatan who died in disgrace on top of being married

Plato and Socrates.
Second, Kant.
Third, Schopenhauer.

>Plato and Socrates
>Implying there's a difference

>being married
>flaw

Socrate's ideas as relayed by Plato are Socrate's property, and Plato's idea's are Plato's. Yes, it is hard to tell where one ends and the other begins, at times and we know Socrate's didn't write anything. It's still good to make the distinction.

Haven't been to /lit. in months

Glad to see Sam Harris the philosopher is still a meme

It's probably Leibniz.

>understood life the best?

Theist pov (which I subscribe to): Kierkegaard

Non-theist: Schopenhauer had the best grasp of human nature and life from a secular stand point I've seen to date.

>It's probably Leibniz.

From an academic stand point. This is likely true

>Pessimism/Nihilism

>still a meme

>eviscerates and concludes morality
>eviscerates and concludes politics
>eviscerates and concludes noam chomsky

He's an Ubermensch. Don't fucking forget it

me tbqh

We all know what you think on that matter, Arthur.

Sartre

It's an enormous, damning flaw for a philosopher

lmao

He did die in disgrace though after the Prussian state turned on him

Socrates himself was married and had children

Nietzsche?

>Implying Nietzsche didn't think Socrates was suspect

He was one of the first, if not the first philosopher to hold Socrates in a bad light.

this is not a debate

heidegger tbqh
kant btfo

Parmenides. Got it all right on the first go

not them but if i had to answer Id say he captures the self-contradictory nature of many truths, his lack of one systemized "truth" reflects that truth, unknowable. You know?

Marco Aureliuz

>everyone who came before him could not begin to match his influence
Plato, Aristotle. That's 2, right there. Kant was undoubtedly one of the smartest men in history, but I think Aristotle has an edge, because he was starting from less. The west was built on Aristotle.

He didn't really hold him in a bad lig as a person though, in fact there are many paralels between S and N. It's more what Socrates initiated and Hat followed because of him at N seems to react against.

Bertrand Russell

>Will
>Categorial Imperative

Kek, Kant was a cunt. He had the acuity of an orange, was a braggart, and he was hidebound.

He should be epitomized as the retarded, polemical moron he was.

I got a B in the one philosophy class I had

Aristotle was shallow as fuck tho

Indisputable.

Jaden Smith

Dear Lord, what is this shit? Kant was an autistic peon that literally believed that masturbation was wrong. But it isn't.

underrated

>All these German Idealists

Nothing more than Feels vs Enlightenment.

Guess what, the Enlightenment won.

Enlightenment was a mistake

They all dumb faggots, probably can't even raise a cow or make a functioning boomerang

>enlightenment won
Nope, and it was entirely feels-based

they can fuck your fat ugly whore mother, though