/CG/ - Chemistry General

Welcome to /CG/ - Chem General Vol. 1
Primarily for the purpose of discussing Chemistry, asking Chemistry related questions and showing off Chemsitry related pictures, videos or academic accomplishments.

Other urls found in this thread:

openstax.org/details/chemistry
youtube.com/channel/UCtw4iMTF8jalh1klTY3ah6A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why do I never undestsnd anything in class

why tripfag lad

So in 3 years from now, when this general has 60-70 individual posters a thread I can say I was the first

what was the point of this thread?

Do you like chemistry

>Primarily for the purpose of discussing Chemistry, asking Chemistry related questions and showing off Chemsitry related pictures, videos or academic accomplishments.

Not tricky

So I'm trying to analyze the trend of electron affinities of atoms using the qm model of the atom. I get why the period two elements have a less negative EA than the period three based off of proximity of electrons in the 2p orbital vs the 3p orbital, but then as the principal quantum magnetic number increases the atomic radius increases more so and thus the EA becomes less negative. Except for with the Nitrogen family, as astatine's EA is lower than phosphorus' but germanium is higher than silicon, selenium's is higher than sulfur's and so forth. Why does this occur? And why is it corrected for bismuth, which also coincidentally breaks the half filled p orbital trend in being harder to accept an electron?

Hey guys I need to write a research proposal in the field of nanomaterials or supramolecular chemistry. It's just for an exam I'm not actually going to end up doing it. So currently I'm looking for a problem to solve and I came up with the separation of metals from eachother. Apparently getting to really high purities is pretty difficult since the separation of some metals from eachother is pretty impossible. I was thinking that maybe with some specific nanostructure or supramolecular assembly you could get a high affinity for a specific metal ion but I need to look more into it. Does anybody else maybe have any ideas?

There clearly is something weird going on with the p-block. I'm not a quantum chemist but I think the trends are not supposed to look like that

Where can I buy potassium nitrite in New Zealand?

has anyone here ever made their own drugs?

Industrial food suppliers, E249

considering switching programs from molecular biology to chemistry

should I do it

Makes sense

How long does it take to be able to turn conformers around in your mind with ease?

Yes

Yes

First of all its arsenic. Second of all, not sure. You see a similar effect for the transition metals (just look at d5) so my first thought would be something to do with that but I couldn't tell you what

Structure itself wouldn't give you affinity for an ion but if you could find something with strong affinity you could design a structure that incorporates that and provides improvement.
Honestly it sounds like you're grasping at straws. Read a few nano papers and see if you get any interesting ideas. Remember a lot of science is just babystep improvements.
I read one the other day on nanofibers embedded in a hydrogel that would extend and entrap nanoparticles when heated. Maybe something like that?

Both are shit. Do engineering

Yeah I still have to read a lot more papers, I guess I'll just start looking at ACS Nano and see what I like. It would be nice to have some problem to solve though since that's what the professor suggested. I'm pretty sure he favors fantasy over feasibility since he keeps posting that Einstein quote

>Imagination is more important than knowledge.

which ins

>formula sheets and tables are better than zigzags and curly arrows

Anyone familiar with Paul Weiss?

How feasible is it to buy all that metal framework and tubing etc for a home lab

MDA, DMT, 5-MeO-DALT, methoxetamine.
pic related is a fun proof of concept but there needs to be a reworked approach for better stereocontrol and it'll be far from economically feasible until we build a wall.

I like engineering actually, thing is I can seamlessly switch to chemistry, while switching to eng would be a pita

Why not Chem engineering

>metal

Metal is, by far, the most difficult to acquire component of a clandestine lab. Its distribution is tightly controlled and largely restricted to practicing transition element chemists and industry professionals.
Shulgin, for instance, had to painstakingly prepare the metal you see here himself

why did he need that much metal for? specificly

nah man i mean the pipes or whatever to clamp stuff

Yeah, I know.
You generally have to be a licensed chemical engineer to even be allowed near pipes like that

xDxdxzxDDDDXS!!!!!!

I work part time in my university's stockroom, which consists of me preparing solutions for undergraduate labs and providing chemicals and glassware to research students. I'm pretty much the go-to guy for my boss, and it became pretty apparent why this week.

We had a lab that required 30L of solution throughout the week, but we only had storage for 13, so we had to constantly make more solution every day. I made the initial 13L, and I never touched it after that. On the last day, one of the professors came in complaining about inconsistent numbers, and a weird precipitate. It turns out that one of the people working in the stockroom prepared all of the solutions with tap water, instead of distilled.

We really need to have some sort of test before we let these people in.

what books do i need to read to become like this fellow?

By all means do something you come up with but man those papers are kind of your toolbox. See if theres anything available in the industrial papers on metal purification and dig into it

neet trying to UNJUST here
How do I prepare myself for college chem? I've become very interested in it lately but I don't remember much from my highschool days and I really want to give this a go next year.

Take the requisite math if you haven't already. It's just algebra. Take an Introduction to General Chemistry course.

After that, take a bit more math, then a year of General Chemistry and labs.

If you want to major in chemistry, continue studying math and take Organic Chemistry, and eventually physical chemistry and all that shit.

Chemistry is hard, but the reality is that it's just a lot of work. It's the comfiest science, because you can just sit and read and do problems all day and then go collect your A on exams because you're well prepared.

Starting my first quarter of Organic Chemistry, lads. What should I expect? Everyone keeps telling me that you need to be a goddamn genius to get an A in the class, but I got As in gen. chem, so I feel relatively confident

Don't try to brute force memorize anything like you can do in gen chem. Actually study and learn the mechanisms and nomenclature and you'll be fine.

>tfw I'm ChemEng and can make meth

Get on my level scrub

What hardware is the most cost-effective for computational chemistry on a tight (

how do you learn/get better at biosynthesis?

>It's just algebra.
I know I'm late, but are there textbooks for general chemistry that don't focus (much) on calculus, at least to begin with?

The book recommended by MIT OpenCourseWare for general chemistry had some nasty looking integrals when I flicked through it.

openstax.org/details/chemistry

jesus christ why

his own books are a good start

Finally a decent chemistry thread! I have something I'd like to discuss with you. Working as a tutor for chemistry undergrads, biology undergrads and medfags, I noticed how a lot of people study chemistry the hard way, only memorising stuff without knowing why certain reactions take place or why atoms have the properties they do. The best answer I ever got in a class was "because there's an orbital thingy there" and I've heard way worse , believe me.
My question is, do you think that, at least for undergrads, the theoretical foundations of chemistry should be more emphasised? I live in Germany here and my university offers theoretical chemistry as a compulsory course for the bachelor's degree, however, it is only being taught in sophomore year when people have already gotten through inorganic and organic chemistry 101. From what I heard, some universities don't even teach it at all until people get to their master's degree. Do you think this needs to change? How do we tackle the issue with non-chemistry students? I'm afraid we're raising chemistry brainlets, it's really sad.

>methoxetamine
proofs?

What's the most fascinating branch of chemistry?

I'm not too deep into it because I'm still an undergrad but I love biochemistry and especially molecular virology. The fact that statistical mutation of the genome, together with evolutional pressure has produced non-living pieces of proteins and DNA/RNA that can hijack a cell's metabolism is really impressive.

Did you do this in a research lab or at home?

Read a book, nigger

>Day 13 - My attempts to clone "unidentified hydroxylase" into e. coli have so far proven unsuccessful.

I'm guessing that they were just fresh out of the first year. In those labs, all of your solutions are prepared. Thus, they have never made a solution. The guy who works before me said the labs were out of 3M HCl. We have at least 8L of stock 6M HCl

"Why didn't you take the 6M we have and prepare some?"
"I didn't know how"

How do these people think they were ready for this job?

Definitely, it should be. I've tutored kids in chemistry as well, and they never actually know what's going on. For a lot of people, they fake it 'til they make it. For the kids I tutored, though, they all walked away a lot more comfortable with the material.

doing general chemistry 1
(basically high school shit)
know nothing about chemistry
where do i start?

Not too long. If you have a good imagination that's all there is too it. Then you practice.

you start by getting off Veeky Forums

Easy mode

Do chemical engineering, all the "fun" of chemistry and engineering combined.

Have a look at the sticky of this board. IFyouhav e more specific questions, post em here.

There seem to be a handful of videos about mechanisms in drug synthesis here, examples from Pihkal etc

youtube.com/channel/UCtw4iMTF8jalh1klTY3ah6A

Does anyone know why only some of the LAH reductions in Pihkal are run under a He atmosphere and using AlH3 formed in-situ by adding sulfuric acid to the mixture? It almost seems like there were two experimentalists at one point.

Prove how smart you are and solve #9 you brainlets

Insert it into the Schrödinger equation. We're not spoonfeeding here.

now, I'm not a physics student but is it essentially asking if the linear combination of any two eigenvectors of a linear operator is an eigenvector of that operator? because if it is then this is a trivial question.

[eqn]\hat{H}\psi_{n}(x)=E_{n}\psi_{n}(x)[/eqn]
Substitute [math]\psi_{n}(x)=c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)+c_{2}\psi_{2}(x)[/math]
With [math]\hat{H}\psi_{1}(x)=E_{1}\psi_{1}(x)[/math] and [math]\hat{H}\psi_{2}(x)=E_{2}\psi_{2}(x)[/math]
[eqn]\hat{H}(c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)+c_{2}\psi_{2}(x))=E_{n}(c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)+c_{2}\psi_{2}(x))
\\
\hat{H}c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)+\hat{H}c_{2}\psi_{2}(x)=E_{n}(c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)+c_{2}\psi_{2}(x))
\\
E_{1}c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)+E_{2}c_{2}\psi_{2}(x)=E_{n}(c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)+c_{2}\psi_{2}(x))
\\
E_{1}c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)+E_{2}c_{2}\psi_{2}(x)=E_{n}c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)+E_{n}c_{2}\psi_{2}(x)
\\
E_{1}c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)-E_{n}c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)=E_{n}c_{2}\psi_{2}(x)-E_{2}c_{2}\psi_{2}(x)
\\
c_{1}\psi_{1}(x)(E_{1}-E_{n})=c_{2}\psi_{2}(x)(E_{n}-E_{2})[/eqn]
Since per definition, [math]E_{n}\neq{}E_{1}\neq{}E_{2}[/math], the above equation is not satisfied. Now, tell us, what's happening, brainlet :^)

It essentially is. The solutions would be [math]c_{1}=\sqrt{2}=-c_{2}[/math] and [math]c_{2}=\sqrt{2}=-c_{1}[/math], which is the explanation for the different "signs" within a given wavefunction, as well as the basic for Pauli's Principle.

Biochemfag here. Anybody else having trouble understanding NMR? I mean I get that when you put nuclei with 1/2 spin in a strong magnetic field, some magic shit happens and one spin will have lower energy, but what the fuck is all the rest about? What is going on in a 2D spectrum? What is all this relaxation shit about?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Eigenstates must have the same energy, thus be degenerate. There is no energy degeneracy for 1-D systems in qm (just like our box) so it must be that they are the same eigenstate n=m, and the two coefficients add to 1.

>tfw i'm a ChemEng and can make pipes

ftwfffyfwyfftyfwyftfy

CAN ANYONE tell me why buffering only works for strong bases and weak acids, and not vice-versa?

Had a lecture the other day on paleoclimatology, pretty cool

Prebiotic chemistry is also pretty fascinating

Biochemistry in general is pretty great, biocatalysis especially fascinates me. Every time somebody compares the selectivity and conversion of some enzymatic reaction compared to what we have accomplished using inorganic chemistry its pretty hilarious. Usually not even a fraction of the selectivity is reached.

It's why my synthetic organic chemistry prof tells me we are pretty much hundreds of years behind when compared to mother nature.

But the thing is, the lab work for all these things is pretty boring. Nonetheless I go to lectures on this whenever I can since the conclusions are interesting as fuck

Energetic materials lol

20ml of 0.20 M Sodium acetate is titrated with 0.11 hcl, what is the ph after the addition of 50 ml of hcl?

Kb = 5.6e-10

who cares

Me
Please give me the answer I'll zuck ya dick

Get the amount of H+ in moles in 0.11 M 50 mL HCl

subtract the amount of OH- in moles in 0.20 M Sodium acetate

divide that by 70 mL to get the concentration of H+

take the -log

You can literally buy pipes (of several different metals) at Walmart and Home Depot.

don't need the Kb or Ka

- log10[((0.11M * 0.050L) - (0.20M * 0.020L))/(0.020L + 0.050)]
= 1.7

Is it time to get into immunoglobulines, lads?
uh

>acetic acid
>strong acid
Lad???

Fuck. Ignore everything I wrote, how can I make such a basic error

lmfao

youre right

lmao

are random FDA approved protein-drugs the only economically viable things to produce in e-coli/CHO batches??

and second, will home biomanufacture ever be feasible, i.e. with bentolab??

truth

If I am getting low yields in a synth, could it be because I am using tap water instead of distilled water? Or is distilled water just a meme?

It's 2.8 but I won't tell you why.

why the fuck would you use tap water?

In any case, it depends on the type of reaction you're running, and it depends on what's in your tap water.

lol

Should I go to university for Biochem or Electrical Computer Engineering?

Take a basic course in each and then decide.

What is pH a measure of?

What is the reaction between sodium acetate and HCl - how will this effect the pH?

Then just do math.

>is distilled water just a meme?
.... wut.

Why are you interested in those fields?

>Why are you interested in those fields?
Because I want to know which of the two contributes to society more.

People contribute to society not degrees.

Electrical or Computer Engineering?

If you want to make a difference in the world pick the one that you're more passionate about but also excel at. is good advice

We are doing molecular orbitals and hybridzation in my chemistry course right now.

What are some good, interesting questions to ask my professor? I don't have any right now, but I'm trying to think of some which will make sure I don't have any misunderstanding with material

It is basically the spin of the nucleus changing direction. The direction in which the spin shows is rotating. If you are placing a coil "near" the nucleus, you then induce an electric current of a certain frequency in the wire which is documented by a sensor. In 1H-NMR, you take the frequencies of tetramethylsilane (TMS) as a reference and divide the difference between the frequency for TMS and your measured frequency by the TMS frequency. That gives you your "chemical shift" in ppm (parts per million, 10^(-6)). You can to this with every nucleus that has a spin that's not zero. The most common ones are 1H, and 13C. There are a lot of other ones, though: 15N, 17O, 19F, 29Si, 31P, 195Pt, 205Tl, ... These are called "NMR sensitive nuclei".
The 2D-NMR is for assigning 1H-signals to 13C signals. In the plot you get, a spot means that those nuclei are connected. The amount of bonds they are away depends on the kind of 2D-NMR you're doing. You usually do those for one or two bonds.
Before turning on your big magnet in NMR, the spins of your nuclei are statistically distributed (some up, some down) but overall, it evens out. When turning on the magnet, the spins all show in the same direction (see above). After turning off the magnet again, the spins of the nuclei go back to their statistical distribution of up/down. This process is called "relaxation".

I don't know if I got all of this right, my lecture on NMR was last year. Hope that helps, though.

quick sci!

i got a retarded question

if i have 2 moles of BaOH2, does that mean there are actually 4 moles of OH in solution?

pls no bully

Oh fuck off, how are we supposed to tell you what you don't understand?

It works with weak acids/bases and their conjugates. I don't know where you got the idea that strong bases/acids are involved at all.