Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zUPbZJ1h-yg
youtube.com/watch?v=0tkO_4tGf2E
youtube.com/watch?v=Orlbo9WkZ2E
youtube.com/watch?v=c7JEZW0BpJM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah why not

sure, i'm not pretentious
rap often hold many more references to fine culture/mythology/etc than any given rock/pop song. i'd say good rap requires a lot more intelligence than making a standard rock song going "yeah yeah yeah baby *guitar riff*".

Is rap music Postmodern?

only kanye

What's the literary equivalent of meme rap?

in the same way that kangaroo testicles are oysters of the bush

Intellectual defenses of low-brow art are more pretentious than what is commonly called pretentious.

See pic related.
>You have to read Deleuze and Guattari to understand dance music.

Is Nas (Illmatic) the Shakespeare of the streets?

Shakespeare is the Shakespeare of the streets. Fuck of with your resentment.

Is Jay Z the E A P of NYC?

Yes

Is there an artist in rap comparable to what Shakespeare is to English letters? Maybe it's not a rap artist. Parliament Funkadelic maybe?

someone kill this frog

Most rap is more about flow. There are some great lyricists though. For example:
Lil Wayne
Kool Keith
MF DOOM
Jay Electronica

> rap
> music

B A N G E R A L E R T

I think it can be when it's
youtube.com/watch?v=zUPbZJ1h-yg
and not
youtube.com/watch?v=0tkO_4tGf2E

Aesop Rock is trash. All he does lyrically is shove a bunch of SAT words into boring melodrama. It's a shtick that gets old fast.

>Aesop Rock is trash

>great lyricists
>Lil Wayne

heh

what about

youtube.com/watch?v=Orlbo9WkZ2E

>he fell for the popular=bad meme
Listen to Carter 3, No Ceilings, Sorry for the Wait, etc. Lil Wayne is possibly the best pop music lyricist since Bob Dylan.

Public Enemy

Rhyme asylum is good

/thread

Maybe in America or somewhere, maybe some rap.

Around here though its more like silly teenagers imitating gangsters with zero honesty or artistic merit or ~artsy~ hipsters making references to Moby-Dick, Alain Resnais and Freud. Also leftist gritty depictions of the lives of the lowest of the low, which might be the closest to "street poetry".

I love the fact that it's a "side dick" and ">she" looks like a man

I'm still looking out for an experimental movement in hip-hop.

What do you mean? Groups like dalek exist.

YA

>here
where

Finland, didn't mention 'cause not like most people would understand anything even if they got interested.

youtube.com/watch?v=c7JEZW0BpJM
This is an example of the artsy ones, the video + sound would probably give you the vibe already. As far the lyrics go, the guy basically raps about a lost love through a shitload of cultural references.

>no one talking about Death Grips

Like em or hate em, no one is even close to their lyrical game on albums like niggas on the moon

Any fennoswedish rap? I need a laugh.

Visualizing the realism of life and actuality
Fuck who's "the baddest"; a person's status depends on salary
And my mentality is money-orientated
I'm destined to live the dream for all my peeps who never made it
Cause yeah, we were beginners in the hood as 5 percenters
But something must of got in us cause all of us turned to sinners
Now some resting in peace and some are sitting in San Quentin
Others such as myself are trying to carry on tradition
Keeping the effervescent street ghetto essence inside us
Cause it provides us with the proper insight to guide us
Even though, we know somehow we all gotta go
But as long as we leaving thieving
We'll be leaving with some kind of dough
So, until that day we expire and turn to vapors
Me and my capers will be somewhere else stacking plenty papers
Keeping it real, packing steel, getting high
Cause life's a bitch and then you die

Implying that this wouldn't be considered goat poetry if it were submitted by someone 100 or so years ago (with the nigger ebonics scrubbed out of it).

>with the nigger ebonics scrubbed out of it
What a disgusting thought.

honestly the lyrics aren't even their strong point,
Stefan's flow and delivery and how they tie in with the rest of the music is what makes them truly interesting

Papru can namedrop as many patrician artists and directors as he wants but it doesn't really make him any better. His delivery is dull and monotone and his lyrics aren't particularly interesting.
He is however much better than many Finnish rappers and the fact that he collaborated with Paavoharju lets me know that he is cognizant of the Finnish music scene in a completely different way than the people he associates with.

No. Architecture or maybe even town planning is the poetry of the streets. Rap music is either not poetry or merely poetry, and adding the epiphet "of the streets" had the connotation of it needing to be somehow separated for the quality to somehow stand on par. Great rap needs no epiphet, its quality is on par with any *other* poetry by its own merits, not by some "from the streets" origin or mythos.

BOOM

Rap is African-American folk poetry. It's not really poetry "of the streets".

P-Funk is great but truly serious art it is not.

I'm definitely not there for the lyrics over everything else, but man some of them are just phenomenal. Bottomless Pit has some moments that kicked my ass across the curb, and Up My Sleeves is probably one of the most engaging lyrical performances ive heard in years

TSK TSK TSK

I think he is pretty neat. At least he does make proper concept albums - or at least consistent albums - and doesn't shy away from all that stuff that isn't generally "rap".

Maybe he'll be great if he ever gets to make a solo album with a better theme (nothing wrong with love/breakups, but you know)

>low-brow art
it's one thing to be pretentious user but don't go changing the meaning of words to pretend that you're not

So we've established that Kanye is the Tommy P of rap, right?

>ebonics
t. non linguist