Study music thread

There was a thread about study music that I didn't get to finish reading and it left the archive.

So, study music thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YCM-hG5GjlY
youtube.com/watch?v=oDpZCMTmzO4
youtube.com/watch?v=B9PYSutYc-A
youtube.com/watch?v=3oL5QKNDT8g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tell me about chords and arpeggios, I'm trying to learn how to improvise. How exactly recognize chord progressions?

I prefer to study to relaxing music.

youtube.com/watch?v=YCM-hG5GjlY

>learn how to improvise
bad news: you're not a musician
A musician just learn techniques and uses them accordingly to what he wants to express, you just dont "learn to improvise", even the term its a complete joke, trust me, stop wasting your time, you wasnt born a musician, now fuck off, leave and never come back, u nasty faggot.

This, literally.
Asking such a nonsensical question exposes you as a fraud, if you enjoy playing an instrument go and do it, but fuck NEVER consider you a musician, that's something you have or not, fuck you fake ass fraud.

People like you is cancer to the music community.

literally what the fuck you talking about

also, stop samefagging

>literally what the fuck you talking about
lol, I wonder if thats just bait

no
>he uses the term "samefagging" guys!! he knows what he's doing!! watch out guys!!!!

what

A chord: two or more tones played simutaneously.

An arpeggio: a sequence of tones which belong to a chord.

A chord progression is just a sequence of chords.

Music styles are often defined by what chord progressions are allowed in the composition.

He's not wrong. The ability to improvise just happens when you've been playing for years, and developed a large enough "trick bag" to piece together things you know and apply them to new scenarios. Just keep practicing and learning a lot of songs.

read aggain ass faggot: "lol, I wonder if thats just bait"

There's 4 posters here, so youre obviously samefagging.

Finally someone intelligent, thanks user.

I was just confused about how many notes I should play in an arpeggio and how to recognize different chords from a sequence of notes, no need to be rude

>how many notes I should play in an arpeggio
You must play exactly 4.
Really... what? Play whatever you want, wtf?

>how to recognize different chords from a sequence of notes
Play more.

how exactly do you recognize chord changes?

You can play as many notes as you want.
When you listen for chords, you want to find what key it's in first, usually by listening to the bass notes. Then you can figure what chords exist in that key.

Jingle bells is an example you can easily hear a change in.
Jingle bells, jingle bells....
Then a chord change
Oh what fun it is to ride....

You can play the melody with simple chords or you can arpeggiate the notes of the chord for something different.

Of course, folk music will be a lot easier to do this for than say, jazz starting out.

Play more.

Stop asking for tricks, there are none.

Any youtube links?

nujabes is great for study.

youtube.com/watch?v=oDpZCMTmzO4

I'm not asking for any shortcuts, I just want to get familiar with some concepts

You'll get familiar with them only by playing. Any time not spent in front of a keyboard is awfully inefficient practice.

I'm trying to get into playing gypsy jazz, how should I "approach" it? I tried playing some tunes by ear, but I've read that that's not a very good practice in learning it

I've given you your answer and you still don't want to hear it. You won't make it.

All you answered was vague shit like "dude just play lmao"

Did some "pretentious "musician"" steal your wife /up stage you/ stole your job or something? I don't get why you're being triggered by some cunt who's trying to learn some music theory aka. (learning the wrong way)

If you're not learning theory while sitting in front of a keyboard you're doing it the wrong way.

I've been practicing at least an hour a day for 7 years now, and my band has opened for national acts before. I'm telling him from experience, mental masturbation is a waste of time. Shut up and play more.

Jazz is lots of intuition and improvisation. You build intuition by listening to lots of music and playing lots of music. You don't have to be a musician to realize that.

Holy shit you moron. Play music and listen to the styles you want to emulate. Transcribe the improv of your favorite musicians by ear. Learn the major, minor, Aeolian, and harmonic major scales for every single key backwards and forward until you can play them on command.

This is all there is to it. Play a shit ton, and listen a shit ton.

Why did you faggots ruin this thread with /mu/ faggotry?
I was really hoping for tracks to listen to.

Fuck this board

Ayo I'm trying to transcript a song. But I can't hear it well enough to play it in the piano. It sounds like 3 instruments at the same time.

What kind of method do you guys have for transcripting?

>Transcribe the improv of your favorite musicians by ear.
This is the most important.

>Learn the major, minor, Aeolian, and harmonic major scales for every single key backwards and forward until you can play them on command.
This is the second most important. I'd suggest learning about ALL the modes, learning to play all of them, learning to recognize them. The blues scale/pentatonic scales can also be useful, but don't use them as a crutch. Once you have that, learn the 2-5-1s in major, then in minor. All the while transcribing (if you can't transcribe full solos at first, start by transcibing individual licks).

Sorry these guys aren't very helpful user. Clearly not musicians. A good place to start is to sit behind a keyboard and play through your scales and learn your modes. Listen to and learn (repetition) the quality of the scales and what notes effect that quality. (Hint: the third and seventh are quality tones, they determine what you are play is a major, minor, dominant). After you've gotten comfortable with scales and modes and know them like the back of your hand, move on to chords and build chords based of of those scales. Your appeggios are root third fifth and seventh. You can add extensions such as the 9th 11th and 13th (or the 2nd 4th and 6th scale degree, but in chord short hand you wouldn't write C2, you would write C9 [C E G Bb D] D is the 9th, F is the 11th and A is the 13th)
Build your chords (with extensions) based on certain modes.
Major based on Lydian (#4)
Dominant chords based on Mixalydian (b7)
And Minor chords based on the Dorian mode (b3, b7)
I'll give a brief explanation why using the Major scale in the next post.

Buy/download the real book

Learn to play a song in there, fully learn it first

Then listen to it, and try to copy what they actually do on the recording. Don't copy it note by note, but try to get the feeling of the song and then do like the same thing but in your own way

(in other words, just b urself)

Let's say you want a Cmaj13
If you were to build this chord based on the C major scale you would get a dissonance between the 3rd and the 11th. Why? Consider a C major scale:
C D E F G A B C
Your chord is C E G B D F A.
The E and the F are a half step apart giving the chord an odd crunch dissonance within the major chord. However if you build the chord off of a C Lydian scale you have these notes to choose from:
C D E #F G A B C
Your new chord based on C Lydian is C E G D #F A.
Now play that in comparison to the previous Cmaj13 with the natural 11th. Listen to how the quality of the chord changes and how much more of a pleasant sound it is. That's what you'll find more often than not in music therefore it is assumed that any Major13th chords will have the #11 (#4) implied in it.
Taking what you learned about major scales, can you figure out where the dissonance (half step between notes) occurs when building a Dominant chord/Minor chord off of a major/minor chord vs a mixolydian/Dorian mode? (Hint: look at the differences between the minor scale and the Dorian mode, what pitches are altered?)

Briefly on implications. I'd you see C9, the 7th scale degree is implied.
C11, the 7th and 9th are implied
C13, as we saw also imply the 7th, 9th, and 11th.

Then you can move onto chord voicings.

Remember that the 3rd and the 7th are quality tones. You can build a C7 using 3 notes. The least important note in that chord is the 5th/G. C E G Bb (note if this were Cmaj7 the chord would be C E G B(natural), this is important to differentiate between major major 7ths and dominant chords)
So you could voice C7; C E B, or B E C, or E B C, or whatever you please in which ever octave. Then move onto yo extensions. C9 is C E (no G) B D. Voice that in a million different ways and keep exploring qualities, tendencies, pick out notes in chords and listen to intervals. All the while you do all of this, you sing all of this in your head and get used to what pitches sound like in relation to one another. For exple, if someone were to play a dominant chord, I know it's a dominant chords because there is a Tritone between the third and the seventh scale degree that is not present in a major or minor chord, so that helps me identify what chord it is and whatever extensions I hear I relate to the other notes I'm hearing, like a Tritone between the root and the #11, helps me identify that extension in a major/minor chord because I know a #11 is a #4/b5 tritone and I can hear the quality tones (3rd and 7th) in the chord and identify whether or not it is minor or major.

It takes a of didicated time. The myth is that you aren't born with it. In reality, anyone can, you just have to put in the time. I've been playing music since the age of 3. I'm 23 now and have only scratched the surface bro. As far as theory goes, you can learn all that online. Aural skills comes from time put in.

With improv, transcribe and emulate. Note certains groupings of notes or motifs and learn that in every key. Same with everything I've mentioned above. It's a lot of work man and a lot of people don't understand/severely underestimate this shit. But you can do it if you choose to dive in. In the words of the great Johnny Vidocavitch, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

>tfw brainlets will never transcript it without dominating quantum scales

youtube.com/watch?v=B9PYSutYc-A

feels good

thank you senpai

that's very nice sounding

youtube.com/watch?v=3oL5QKNDT8g