Is it possible for a plant to grow inside your body in principle?

Is it possible for a plant to grow inside your body in principle?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eNTuHEnjjrM
newscientist.com/article/dn21353-zoologger-unique-life-form-is-half-plant-half-animal/
youtube.com/watch?v=utMH0kibzl0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Make your argument you retarded ape

What, are you doing research for a pulp sci-fi novella?

>no fresh water
>no sunlight
I mean yeah maybe it could sprout but your body would immediately destroy it

Yes. The main character, Dave, finds out he has a plant growing in his groin which causes pain. However this plant also makes him super smart and likeable. It's a metaphor for modern hypocrisy.

Might I suggest a title?

Philip Kale Dick.

The human immune system would make quick work of plant matter. A seed implanted into tissue of some kind would promptly be broken down and shipped off.

you need to stop

Kinda off-topic, but I remember reading a manga years ago, in which a psychopath planted flowers into brains of living victims. Can't remember it's name tho. Does anyone else remember it?

Yes, it can sprout and begin to root into human tissues where it'll readily cause problems. Unlike what others have said, your immune system would have major difficulties dealing with a root structure, even that of a thin sapling.

There have been documented cases of this happening when people swallow seeds, certain pollens, etc. Usually it starts in the lungs.

It is possible for one to sprout. Maybe if it was implanted just beneath the skin it could grow. Your immune system should handle it though.

youtube.com/watch?v=eNTuHEnjjrM

Now that i think about it, Plants must have the worst "build" for evolution and life, they are completely immobile and have no defenses really against anything eating their bodies. They just grow and wait until they inevitably are eaten by something, without any way to fend for themselves or continue life they are just basically a sitting duck without the ability to move... Inb4 poisonous plants, none of them are particularly successful and all of their consumers have evolved immunity to the poisons lel

Now this one is really interesting:
newscientist.com/article/dn21353-zoologger-unique-life-form-is-half-plant-half-animal/

>none of them are particularly successful and all of their consumers have evolved immunity to the poisons
Complete nonsense. You're only able to have this myopic opinion because you're a mammal and are used to thinking about "higher" life. The systems developed by various plants to ward off insects, bacterial, and fungi are still very effective and well used. You're looking through a lens into the past and asking yourself "gosh, why don't methylxanthines, nicotine, kavalactones, etc kill me off!" Because they're from a different time and suited for a different world, which still exists.

There are plenty of plants that are too poisonous for most organisms to be capable of developing systems to counteract. These dynamics also bring about the development of mutualistic relationships, which while fragile, are very effective.

Did you forget that plant seeds can survive an animal's digestion system and end up in their feces? So when animals eat fruit and the like, they are eating a part of the plant that evolved to be eaten.

Those animals think they are getting useful sources of nutrients and sugars, and the plant is just waiting for its progeny to wake up in a pile of animal dung, surrounded by all the available nitrogen, phosphorous etc that they could want, ready to sprout and start life anew.

Unless you're a termite or certain other types of insects, eating plants poses no threat whatsoever to them and they even welcome their consumption

How would it obtain nitrogen? Plant roots can absorb preformed amino acids?

They usually want their seeds to be eaten. Plants are the ultimate team players and are happy (inasmuch as any being without a nervous system can be happy) to die if it means the continuation of their species.

I like that positive sentiment, good post.
That makes me feel happier about plants, i grew up thinking they were evil at one point but now thanks to my experiences and good people like this i'm convinced. Plants are our friends.

Not to mention, plants are very quiet, and are hard to completely ban and grow a lot of stuff that is real good to smoke amirite

the parasitic plant takes over your nervous system and makes you drink liquid N2

Now that is abuse of nature, plants do not exist just so that you can get high off of them, you are literally burning up their lives in a consumable for an hour of pleasure. How can you do that to your "friends", just smoke them right up

No that's actually one of the things that makes plants interesting, not bad. Plants have a degree of developmental plasticity that you see literally nowhere else in nature.

Imagine if you neutered a dog and then came back the next morning to find that it grew six extra pairs of testes to compensate. Or if a toddler could grow an extra four feet of height over its lifespan just because it's parents put the snacks on top of the fridge instead of the counter. That's the kind of wild bullshit plants get up to.

Plus there's all sorts of weird biology. Plants are the carnival sideshow of biology.

Yeah, look up exploding trees

hey brainlet, what eats rhizopera and avicennia mangrove leaves?

protip: nothing, one insect does but it does negligible damage, and sesarmid crabs do but only after the leaves are dead and on the ground - even then they need to be partially broken down by bacterial communities before the crab can even get a go at it

>secondary metabolites ftw

*teleports behind you*
heh, dont feel too bad, kid

I take it you are not familiar with "Mare Internum".

Cancer

like peas

youtube.com/watch?v=utMH0kibzl0

You're just pissed that he's right.

Oh gosh user, it's raining! You're going to get wet! Better clench up your sphincter and run around hurriedly acting like it matters! Look, you can take cover under that tree over there. It'll be nice and out of the rain...

the cancer is your lack of ecological or botanical knowledge yet willingness to comment

kys

Stay mad, puny chordate

Depends on where in the body. I know a girl who had an earache caused by grass sprouting in her ear.

google tree man

My friend's father is a urologist.

He claims to have once needed to remove a potato that had taken root in a woman's vagina before.

He's not a liar but he could have just been shitting us.

you mean taking the piss

ayyy