youtube.com/watch?v=DgJohh7yv1A
m.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcLyAi-zb8
youtube.com/watch?v=6V8_Xvaz7xE
dn.se/kultur-noje/sa-skapas-poppiga-hitlatar/
youtube.com/watch?v=oKivQGH2QoY
youtube.com/watch?v=mUY_zpPeab0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pretend you already are.

Spend all of your time posting on Veeky Forums, and asking strangers on the internet what's cool.

You don't become a patrician. You either are one or not. Trying to become one is a wasted effort and only gets you to the complete opposite of that goal.

You stop caring about it and try to analyze why you like certain things. A man who enjoys and critiques Katy Perry's music can easily be more of a patrician than someone who listens to swans.

Nice point user. Stop asking "what is good?" and start asking "what makes this good?".

Warning, though: if the answer is "ideology" or "power" or (worst of all) "preference," then you're on the wrong track.

>soundtracks for the blind
>patrician
'No'.

The only thing wrong with those "answers" is that they don't open the door for further discussion and analysis.

>A man who enjoys and critiques Katy Perry's
Our society and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex.

Can you explain how my statement relates. Anyways, the music theory behind pop music is not simple or dumbed down.

Best answer by far

I rather hang out with somebody who can explain why they like a katy perry song
then some autist who just quotes scaruffi and anthony fantano aka /mu/

>the music theory behind pop music is not simple or dumbed down
Pop music compsers literally go out their way to make their songs only use few chords that also happen to be easy to play on a guitar to get free advertizing from teenage girl's youtube covers.

youtube.com/watch?v=DgJohh7yv1A
first step of becoming a patrician is intuitively knowing that burning world is the best swans album

second step of becoming the ultimate patrician is not worrying about what's patrician because literally no one gives a shit

The Burning World is a fucking joke

>imblying analysis is required to know that 'roar' is a top ten of decade song

>the music theory behind pop music is not simple or dumbed down.
It is very easy to play pop music with one year of experience with the instrument. But this isn't exclusive of pop music, and applies to most metal and rock as well.
The general exception is classical music. There's also a few exceptions in every genre, but it's not exactly mainstream pop.

I have some sort of highbrow interest in those three. Just read/listen/watch whatever you like until you get tired of it.
Since I started to take music lessons my interest in music have changed, a lot. I think writing and learning may improve the way you see books and music.
Films is a separate matter. I don't know how can a person study cinema by themselves. Still, watch whatever you want, the average person should be able to take only a certain amount of action/comedy and other shitty films that we see so often.

By dedicating all of your time to the various arts, becoming a knowledgeable elitist, and alienating friends and relatives in the process

>How to be the ultimate patrician?

You have to like the same things as me.

You have to be very rich in the first place. See some of the most influential members of the now defunct Sufu: they traveled the world to meet other members, to go to art fairs, fashion weeks etc. All of this and they still had a good grasp at philosophy, sociology and the Humanities in general.

"the now defunct Sufu:"
What ? can you provide a link or wiki on whatever that is.

It is.

No, it's garbage.
Get some taste, fucking pleb.

Superfuture. Along with StyleZeitgeist (millionaires dressing in dark clothes) and Styleforum (old men masturbating to leather boots), they made up for the three biggest fashion forums on the internet. Sufu was created in 2004 iirc.

You're just being contrarian.

Well, i'm sure the patrician would listen to Classical music. No debate here.

minimal techno is more patircian than classical music 2bh

>if you aren't a /mu/drone then you must be a contrarian!!!1!

Folk music is aight. m.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcLyAi-zb8

I don't go to /mu/, friend, I like it because I like it.

>"toast in the toaster"

Wanna know how to be the ultimate patrician? Stop trying to be "patrician" and live your life naturally the way you want to. Also don't listen to Swans.

You have to be born into a wealthy enough family where you get special political privileges.

>I like it because I like it
Then how is it patrician? Your taste is like any other's, misinformed.

>how to be the ultimate patrician?
dig deeper

the only problem in this is that you will probably lack time to be equally """""patrician""""" in these 3 mediums

Then what makes for a patrician album?

One of these is correct.

Gonna be seeing a Swans show in a month. Pretty excited.

>Not knowing this is the best album of all time.

it's pretty much there but are you sure that F#A#Infinity isn't superior?

my negros

F#A#Infinity is superior in every way.
SFTB is good too.

Post rock is the epitome of boring music. It's still just rock, but without the fun part.

lol spooked asshole

Kys

you're a creep with nothing to say

But New zero Kanada is better than both

For starters, don't consult an internet imageboard for advice on how to be great

New zero Kanada is the equivalent of some of Yeats' poems.

LYSF/FA are like Ulysses.

Move on from /mu/core and Veeky Forumscore tastes. People who champion mainstream cult like Swans or Velvet Underground are no better than Taylor Swift and Led Zeppelin fans.

>liking crescendocore

The field recordings and monotony ruin this one for me desu

Learn the theory and actively analyze the art you consume.

Also, music didn't start in 1960, you should listen to classical and jazz.

Find what you like, examine why you like it (so that you could tell someone if asked), then find more things you like
That's the basic lowdown, then there's understanding the medium and such, which people usually do associate with being patrician.
Can't tell you much about the others, but with music you should research the influences of artists and the characteristics of genres.
Theory might help you understand things, but it's not something you should focus on.
Theoretical and technical wankery in music is the domain of the pseudointellectual.

>worst album of GYBE
>the best of all time
kys

try listening to each album more than once, oh and it helps to reach you're own conclusions instead of /mu/ and pitch4k

true patricians listen to traditional pop

am I on /mu/?

Edgy titles aside, I enjoyed To Be Kind and The Seer more than anything else of theirs. And yeah I've done the whole "force feed myself a band's earlier and more inaccessible material until I 'enjoy' it more than what everyone is listening to by said band" countless times, but I'm pretty darn sure that those are my two favorite Swans albums.

It's all about creating an aesthetic.

If you want to read Kierkegaard and listen to Don Giovanni then that's cool, but if you want to read The Doors of Perception and listen to the Grateful Dead then that's cool too. Just go hard in whatever you do and really dig deep and become an expect of sorts in whatever area you chose.

I came on lit to avoid this trash

TRUE patricians listen to ironic 60s pop sung by a classical singer and a traditional pop singer.

youtube.com/watch?v=6V8_Xvaz7xE

Probably

Stop caring what others think.

All the mu and tv crossover shit on this board makes me nauseous.

So you're saying that lit members should browse only lit and not have interests in /tv/ and /mu/ or any other boards.

nah this is like trying to be eclectic. true patricians achieve a balance between eclecticism and accessibility so they don't slip into self-parody

By that logic, you might as well say it's patrician to unironically like Taylor Swift

Thanks for your useless contribution.

>movies
Not art.
>music
Popular music its not Art. Theres already Art, duh.

Why do we have those meme threads everyday?!

*already Art Music

They're quite an experience. Saw them in DC few weeks back.

>movies is not art
nice

>he couldn't handle the forrestman

Btw are you saying my grandfather is self parody?

/thread

jesus fucking christ

>Well, i'm sure the patrician would listen to Classical music.
The patrician would listen to the best examples of all genres.

1. Spend a lot of time reading/watching/listening.
2. Spend plenty of time thinking about what you read/watch/listen.
3. Read about what you read/watch/listen.
4. Try to not imitate the taste or opinions of someone else, this will probably end up as you being a follower rather than a patrician. If you feel like you're always falling back on what someone else said, challenge yourself to say it better.

These steps might make you a fine connoisseur.

[Citation Needed]

dn.se/kultur-noje/sa-skapas-poppiga-hitlatar/
>When we wrote One Direction's songs we purposely made them so simple that my friends' children could record their own versions that they posted on youtube. Just listen. 98 percent of the songd revolve around the chords C, G, A minor and F. It creates an unconscious sense of regognition.

>expending effort to critique katy perry
shiggidy diggidy

That's classical music

Patricians listening to classical is only a meme in the eyes of plebs because it's seen as a traditionally upper class activity.
True patricians realize that notated music is outdated and that music made to record can have more musical depth than a sheet music piece.

>he doesn't love taytay

>being this demonstrably ignorant of classical music

The overwhelming majority of 'genres' that have occurred in history all fall under the broken umbrella of 'classical' and it's much less homogenous than you'd like to think. People in Bach's age would find all music from 1930-2016 as homogenous as you guys would for early Baroque to Mozart

>People in Bach's age would find all music from 1930-2016 as homogenous as you guys would for early Baroque to Mozart
>from chart pop to harsh noise
I see what you're saying, but they definitely wouldn't.

Listen to King Crimson

Agreed. Longtime Swans fan reporting, not too huge on SftB personally. Out of their Post Rock era shit I vastly prefer The Seer

>Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada not their best release
>Yanqui UXO not their best album
ISHYGDDT

Word up my nigga, BBF3 is their most emotionally rich track imo. That moment after he says "I think that that's pretty god damn sad, that they don't recognize their own country is a third world, third rate, third class slum," when all music quiets and the violin and cello drop in is the most beautiful moment in music I Can think of.

youtube.com/watch?v=oKivQGH2QoY

/mu/fags go home

>analyzing things
The mark of a true plebeian

>>Yanqui UXO not their best album
emBARRASSING

Soundtracks isn't good only because it's 'assembled', but even then it's still so much better than the fucking seer lmao. it's easily the worst of the new albums, rope included (actually rope is pretty good, too bad it's produced like shit)

youtube.com/watch?v=mUY_zpPeab0

Taste is cultivated. So by reading a lor, watching a lot, and viewing a lot of art. The more you do it, the deeper you get into it.

But it takes time, it takes years. I've been watching films seriously for 8 years now. It's not done overnight, you have to remember that.

This.

only a pleb would call erudite music "Classical"

true patrician music coming through
everything else posted itt is pedestrian

If you can provide arguments, as apposed to some one who likes "high culture" music and cannot, yes you are more patrician