Fundamental Forces of Nature

How do they work?

As far as I understand the three quantum forces, if Particle A and Particle B are interacting then A will send out a boson which B will absorb and so B's momentum will be changed causing motion. Now if momentum is equal to mass times velocity then the momentum of a photon should be 0 since its rest mass is 0 and as far as I understand it shouldn't have any other type of mass since mass is an emergent property of confined particles, therefore the overall momentum change for particles undergoing Electromagnetism should be 0 and nothing should move due to that force. Or does the photon being absorbed confine it and add to the mass of the receptor particle and therefore change its momentum?

Also what causes particles to send bosons to each other? How do they know if something is within their range and to interact according to the forces?

Is there a fifth fundamental force?

Other urls found in this thread:

profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/particle-physics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein–Hilbert_action
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/particle-physics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/

goddamn this just confused me even more
it sounds like he's saying "things move because math"

whats not to get.

Black holes can theoretically make virtual particles real.

The following is blatantly not true, and impossible.

All particles move in straight lines at the speed of light. What defines a straight line is gravity. What defines the speed of light is the other forces. There is Spacetime as defined by GR which defines curvature, and Probability Space as defined by the Standard model which defines c for each particle in spacetime.

how

Why is there no Lagrangian for gravity?

Vacuum bubbles are composed of a particle-antiparticle pair of virtual particles. They don'y properly exist and so have some small amount of "borrowed" energy for the time they exist (see the time-energy uncertainty relation for how this works). If one part of this pair happens to find its way across a black hole's even horizon before the recombine, the black hole has to pay the energy to make the remaining particle real and so you get Hawking radiation and evaporating black holes.

i don't see how that makes virtual particles real.

Think of the invisible unicorn problem.
Can something be said to be real if it never interacts with anything? If I say there is an invisible unicorn in a room, that gives off no heat or light, and you can't touch it, is it real?

Virtual Particles are similar, a particle/anti-particle pair that only interact with each other, whose energy is a part of the vacuum energy. As particles they never interact with anything, but their energy can be measured as a pressure of the vacuum.

Now, no particle (photon or otherwise) which falls past the event horizon of a black hole can interact in any way with a particle on the other side of the event horizon. If a particle pair is created just on the event horizon, the particles will not annihilate, one particle will fall into the black hole, and the other is free to travel through space and interact with other things, becoming "real"

yeah but photons are already real. all the particles your talking about are real.
the article is saying that them existing as force carriers is not the case, instead the force carrier is just a generic +/- field disturbance.

maybe im missing something there.

I think considering that there is an indirect way to measure the reality of the virtual particles (their effect on the pressure of the vacuum) then they can be said to be real. I think those things that are real are those with which we have interacted so all the things inside our particle horizon. If the unicorn gives no discernible way to prove its existence through a direct or indirect measurement then it can't be said to be real.

Not disagreeing with you, I just think your analogy is wrong.

Photons are said to be massless but they actually have a very tiny mass, even less than an electron.

Its literally the minimum amount of mass possible for them to be able to move, and it allows them to move at exactly c. And behave as light does.

[citation needed]

These equations look nothing like what i learned for any of these, except for Electromagnetism what the fuck???

Admittedly i never learned the proper equations to describe the weak or strong forces..

Where is E=MC^2?
Where does the mass go in the gravity equation? Why is there an 8 up there. 8 doesn't seem like a number common to equations, because its 2 * 4 so shouldn't there be a factor somewhere to reduce?

WHY IS THERE AN EIGHT IN GRAVITY?
What property of 8-ness does gravity have?
How does the concept of 8-anything relate to gravity which should exert its force in a sphere??? A sphere doesn't have any 8s anywhere in it. 8 belongs to the cube and the square, the fucking even numbers.

Circles and spheres and Pi, do not make 8, someone please explain further

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations

fuck are you talking about 8

Volume of Sphere.

The mass is in the Tuv term, which describes the entire Energy Density (momentum and mass) of a spherical region of space. The other side of the equation describes the curvature of space due to the mass/energy.

Ok now it makes more sense, thanks man i overreacted a little but that helped a lot to remember that the volume of a sphere is 4/3pi * r^2

I learned some stuff today, i appreciate this informative post especially since i was kind of retarded in my post.

Makes sense.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein–Hilbert_action