Are master degrees a meme if you want to work in the industry ?

Sure you'll learn some more advanced shit, but if you can find a job in your field right after your bachelor you'll have a 1 to 2 year experience head start over people who go on to pursue a master's degree

Did I get memed for starting a master's degree ?

Other urls found in this thread:

kalzumeus.com/2011/10/28/dont-call-yourself-a-programmer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>bachelors
>higher ed

Isn't a masters degree the graduate degree meant to be used in industry? What memes are you talking about?

That said, don't start a masters degree without at least having worked a couple of years. Masters degree of any flavor are meant as a guaranteed way of climbing up the ladder.

Example: You work a couple of years, get in touch with the higherups in your company. Then you get, for example, an MBA and after you get it you are immediately promoted to a senior position in your same field.

Don't tell you just graduated and then went for the masters? Who are you going to use it with?

>Don't tell you just graduated and then went for the masters?
I might have.

>tfw doing a masters because my resume wasn't strong enough for good phd programs

In my country doing a master's degree is pretty much obligatory. Nobody gives a shit about bachelor's.

>I might have.

Why?

If you go for a grad degree then you are supposed to have someone to impress. Someone who immediately goes to grad school is someone who probably wants to impress their own university and is looking for an academic career researching.

If you plan for industry you can still land a job but you are supposed to get a job first and then see when your company likes you enough to suggest to you the idea of being a senior member of their staff.

>engineering
don't go over masters, bachelor's is ok
>chemistry
at least masters or you'll be doing the chemistry equivalent of janitorial work

this is all I have experience with

for biology, master's degrees are actually better for getting hired than phd's

Bit the same here. A standard engineering degree here is call a civil engeenering degree in 'field', which is allways five years, ie masters. An ingeneer with a three or four year education, ie bachelors, is called a college ingeneer or somthing

This

Would a CompSci student go for a master's or more? Specializing in Information Assurance.

>CompSci
go for an indian passport instead

Explain.

Not him but /g/ memes about Indians getting the jobs in the USA with shit service and shittier programming skills

I see. I knew H1B Visas were a threat to tech jobs for Americans, but is it really that prevalent? What if you're simply better than the Pajeets?

I'm pretty sure it is

You can't, because not only the Pajeets but anyone will work really hard for a shit pay as long as you can live in the US
It gives a real disadvantage to study Comp Sci in USA, especially if you are an American

The only way to get a job if you are American with CS interests is being a EE+CS minor, full CE or being a Mathematican

kalzumeus.com/2011/10/28/dont-call-yourself-a-programmer/
>Quick sidenote: You can absolutely ignore outsourcing as a career threat if you read the rest of this guide.
If you do anything beyond bottom of the barrel web scrape/CRUD shit it don't matter.
Opinions on embedded systems as a master?

>not being full-time engineer part-time master's student master race

This

Suddenly I doubt my decisions.

Ok, you COULD get a job but you would need to do your best on programming

Or you could get a masters but you will work on research, not on muh programming jobs anyone could do, even NEETs.

So the safest course is to go for a Master's right off the bat?

Pretty much

I really don't know what you wanna do, so specialize on that so you become the best out there to get a good job

i feel this feel