What's the saddest book you've read?

What's the saddest book you've read?

King Lear

I've never been saddened by fiction.

My diary desu.

I haven't read many sad books but the chapter about Kate Gompert's psychotic depression in Infinite Jest was really fucking depressing.

Flowers for Algernon

The cartoon is wrong because the dog still has three times as many legs as the boy.

Also having one legs would guarantee neetbucks and free sympathy for life.

Novel or short story?

Tess of the d'urbervilles

WE3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely
Say what you will about this being a comic and therefor "not literature"
Nothing is more depressing to me than plight that cannot be properly explained

I don't care how low brow its considered, this novel ravaged my emotions for years

The Castle. The end made me sad...because it's not there, goddamit!

All Quiet on the Western Front.
Jesus, the last pages were brutal.

Have you read the brief interview about the one armed chap?

many parts of 2666 are extremely melancholic but especially the part about archimboldi just really got across how at the mercy of history most individuals are and how strange and sad life really is

this was the saddest movie i have ever seen. anne cried for an hour the first time we watched it. we treasure our pups.

novel, there's a short story?

Apparently. I just looked it up before. I think I'll read the novel.

this

yet another perk of being handicapped

'sagood one

you are either not very well read, have reading comprehension problems, or emotional problems

>Riemurasia

mein gott

Winter of our discontent.

The Giving Tree

Is there a word for the feeling one gets when they think about that book and how the conventional wisdom it contains is basically dead now?

I refuse to watch this. I love doggos too much.

The Crossing - Cormac McCarthy

disgrace by coetzee made me very sad among other things

The Long Walk

I've seen it in a few bookshelf threads. King does a good job of building up these characters until they're completely relate able and 3-dimensional, and then he just brutally kills them off one by one

Also the walk represents life. The kids get into it not really knowing what it's about, they make friends and acquaintances, and then everyone around the main character starts dying

King's not a great writer but The Long Walk and The Stand kinda redeem him with all the character work

Stoner kicked me hard in the feels, only book that has ever made me truly cry

hard?

These two are pretty sad. Flowers is pretty lowbrow, but it is sad nonetheless.

There is one from Kundera that is also pretty sad, I guess it is The Joke.

>no dee co mish we3
Fuck man that simplistic style of speaking got to me. I love that story, def made me tear up. All Star Superman also gets to me but for happier reasons.

I legit bawled for 20 minutes when I saw it in high school. Not even ashamed to admit it, I'd just lost my golden retriever.

This

Bits from Dostoyevsky's works, like the stuff about Ivan or Kirillov

How has no one said The Metamorphosis?

Also, just read Bartleby the Scrivener. It left me feeling very odd; it has a very unsettling melancholy and incertitude to it. I'd definitely recommend it if you haven't read it.

Doggos are pretty adroit at affecting feels. They are pure, have good decorum, and they're likely to not err.

Despite the fact they're pretty much obsolete, they have such largess.

They do not have tirades, they are not reticent, and they do not pontificate. Excellent creatures.

The ambiguous ending makes the whole thing even more sad.

I got a weird feeling of melancholic nostalgia when I first read that book. Don't really know how else to describe it or where it came from, but it's definitely something that stuck with me.

chances are you haven't read that many books so you shouldn't value this opinion highly.

Fuck you

>How has no one said The Metamorphosis?

Because that's not supposed to be sad, but comic instead.

>guarantee neetbucks
Dude the comic clearly takes place in America, and if you think being crippled means you have to stop toiling for the Jews, I got news for ya

Johnny Got His Gun
It's more disturbing than sad, nonetheless it had me emotional.

Cried when his dad died, cried when his crazy son got killed, cried when he stroked out.

The Bridge to Terabithia - we had to read this in elementary school and I cried.

I'm the sad book man

the virgin suicides. we are all like the boys in that book.

the remains of the day. don't hesitate!

mason and dixon

never let me go

rhein once and future king

Love You Forever.

>chapter about depression
>depressing

I try not to read novels I know will make me depressed so I haven't read much lately that would fit, but when I was a kid, I read Dewey the Library Cat and it fucking wrecked me.

I haven't finished it yet, but it's definitely this.

I haven't really felt these feelings from Veeky Forums before.

Thr part in the savage detectives when Ulises Lima goes to Israel and lives for a little while with his unrequiered love and her boyfriend and spends his nights crying in the living couch

Try his other books. They are even worse.
Three comrades is my favorite.

It was pretty soul-crushing, even though there are books that feel distinctly sadder and feature more fucked up shit happening to characters (Hamlet, The House of Mirth, Johnny Got His Gun, etc...). Idk something about the senseless grinding away at a man and his death-grip on his life and his passion despite the fact that he's constantly being hurt or oppressed by forces central to his life.

Agreed, that shit was just brutally fucking depressing.
Word up the ending is so fucked up m8

i have to second this
The Metamorphosis was dark af

it's the ultimate cuck fetish book

probably because the protagonist turned more and more to a dick at the end.

I think in all of his books his character development is pretty impressive tbpfwy