Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

So my girlfriend and I are converting to Catholicism this weekend. Are there any Catholic authors you could recommend, or novels with Catholic themes?

We recently read Mouchette together by George Bernanos. Any other suggestions would be great!

He rapes his sister, Mouchette.

If you enjoyed Mouchette by Bernanos you should read Under the Sun of Satan and Diary of a Country Priest, they're much better and they deal more directly with catholicism.

watch the Bresson movies too if you want, they're all pretty Catholic

Is this some kind of quirky date idea?

No we both decided it was best for our mental and spiritual health. We met in a psychiatric ward last year and since then have spent our time recuperating and attempting to find a sense of stability and security (both psychological and financial) in our life and lives. In this time we traveled a great deal and began reading the bible together to pass the time on long train journeys. We both experienced a sense of awe when reading it and having done further research and having agreed to marry, we are now converting to Catholicism before the act.

not really, jansenist shit with cringe worthy non-acting

His first film, Angels of Sin is quite mainstream and orthodox.

That's a sweet story, the only problem is Catholics don't actually read the Bible.

I will need to remake the list and add 20 or so works, but here.
Silence by Shusaku Endo should be nice.

Feser on Aquinas.
MacIntyre on Nietzsche (After Virtue)
Hans urs von Balthasar for aesthetics
Anything by G.K. Chesterton

Whose Justice? Which Rationality? is significantly better than After Virtue.

Is it now? I'll check it out.

Yes. It's more or less the same thing, but with answers to objections as well as being more elaborate. I'm still going through it, but the central theses is much clearer and everything feels much more focused. He was already a Catholic by then and a thomist as well so his metaphysics is firmer.

>No we both decided it was best for our mental and spiritual health. We met in a psychiatric ward last year and since then have spent our time recuperating and attempting to find a sense of stability and security (both psychological and financial) in our life and lives. In this time we traveled a great deal and began reading the bible together to pass the time on long train journeys. We both experienced a sense of awe when reading it and having done further research and having agreed to marry, we are now converting to Catholicism before the act.

People with mental health and financial issues should not engage in Catholicism or Evangelicalism . Find a local liberal sect that is active in charity or become Unitarians and read a book by a boglehead type for investing. Catholicism chews you up and spits you out in regards to the concepts regarding sin tainting the soul, and people who are bad with money become worse after finding God.

t. member of a 115 person Catholic Irish family with 95% mental illness rate

Read Huysmans, Barbey d'Aurevilly, Léon Bloy, Victor Hugo.

I've found my OCD and anxiety alleviate tremendously in Catholic faith. Obviously it won't be the same for everyone and depends on your circumstances and frame of mind, but the faith in God and the idea of the objective frame of reference removes the power from the obsessive thoughts. The Catholic acknowledgment of "scrupulosity" and the well-known methods for engaging with it are useful too. I don't feel I have to succumb to my own fears as their own "highest authority" anymore.

Kill yourself.

Anything Chesterton, particularly Orthodoxy and The Everlasting Man. Chesterton has saved me from losing my faith many times. His thought is unlike anything else and intellectually valid, and not just some writer who "found Jesus."

Lewis, Chesterton, Waugh, Graham Greene, Tolkien, Spark, O'Connor, Walker Percy...

Morte d'urban by j.f. powers