Can Medical Anons Help?

>my dad called 911 and complained of a really bad headache and neck pain
>passed out on the ambulance with bleeding in brain
>45 mins later, gets a hole drilled in his head to drain blood and transfer him to ICU
>2 angiograms can't find any aneurysm
>no vasospasms ever happen
>MRI finds no aneurysm, bleed source, or any internal damage from stroking
>has been in a coma for 2 weeks with poor neurological tests and hasn't woken up
>basically complete mismatch between his scans and his behavior
>doctors are tired of treating him and pressuring my mom to pull the plug
Is my dad fucked? Should we pull the plug? The doctors were completely wrong about 5 times and are still baffled about what happened but they have no interest in actually helping him. This is supposed to be one of the top stroke wards in the country. Does anyone know if he would be brain dead from pressure in the brain for that long but with no stroke damage? I'm at the point where I can't trust the doctors anymore.

To clarify the specific type of bleed was a subarachnoid hemorrhage.

Sounds like denial geared against the doctors

Trust me. For the first week, I was on board with the doctors and was saying we should pull the plug well beforehand. Then they were wrong again, and again, and again.

And they're telling us different things. One doctor thinks there is a hope and says there's an opportunity to treat aggressively. Two others say he's fucked and we should pull the plug.

If they drained blood it was at its limits. MRI found nothing.. it is possible no damage was caused, but I'm not really sure. Did they check for possible infections? Something feels off.. good luck user.

They drained a lot of blood and have been continuing to do so. He did not have internal strokes, but I'm wondering if the pressure from all the blood was enough to make him brain dead. The doctors are being super vague about that.

emt here

can tell you that families can be the worst with this. just keep your dad's best interests in mind. if there's no hope of him recovering any quality of life, you'd be doing the right thing by pulling the plug

if there is hope of him recovering then i'd pursue it. you'll ask yourself why you didn't years later. doctors are just doing their job.

If they did some damage don't except them to admit it. Infusions after the drain?
I think the MRI should've shown if there was some damage from the high pressure. Just aasuming though.

The problem is that we're getting mixed signals about whether there's hope or not.

this dude is drunk
go with this

sorry to hear user, hope your old boy is ok

It sadly sometimes happens. There's nothing wrong on the MRI, no edema, no necrosis, yet the patient simply doesn't respond.

As for pressure, the damage it causes, like brain herniation, are readily visible on MRI, so no, pressure probably isn't at play here.

Truth is, the brain does funny things sometimes, and we don't really know why.

that's only if the pathologist is incompetent and hasn't looked at every possible cause.

What has a pathologist to do with patients with normal MRI having neurological problems?

Of course there is going to be a number of possible causes, but if your scans do not pick it up you do not have the data to say exactly why.

there's more to a diagnostic analysis of a patients condition than just MRI scanning. doing a history check and various bloodwork to look for infections that may cause his symptoms while being hidden in a scan is paramount. i just think it's a bit off to propose that there's no real answer because the MRI showed nothing at all. if anything, the fact it didn't show up narrows the search even further.

Ever thought of perhaps transferring your father into a different hospital?

>Should we pull the plug?

How much money are you going to get from him after he dies?

he still has a chance to recover, don't let them pull the plug

>he still has a chance to recover

He'd still just end up dying later on though.

Well, we all do

Don't pull the plug idiot, it isn't your life to decide what to do with it. 2 weeks isn't very long in this situation.
Also, if what you're saying is true, consider getting a third party intervene. That is, a registered nurse, and get some consulations with other professionals, and explain the situations. Demand the records and show these to them.
And you MUST get a lawyer or other legal actor intervene here, too.

What the fuck, how can one even ask whether they should pull their plug on their fucking dad on an anonymous image board?

Plus, there are so many options to explore out there, even if they might be costly (such as Deep Brain Stiumulation, which can jump start your dad's brain, hopefully).
Plus, did they do a detailed diagnosis of exclusion? Did they proceed with doing a detailed differential diagnosis?

If what you're saying is true, it really sounds like a psychogenic seizure (ICD code F44.5) which led the poorly trained doctors do incorrect decisions. As I said before, get a registered nurse and a lawyer, make the doctors release the full records, and consult with a third party neurologist (bring him the records).