/nobel/ prize

It's a week before the Nobel Prize laureates are going to be announced. Who else is hyped?

Prizes that actually matter:

Medicine and Physiology
nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2016/

Chemistry:
nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2016/

Physics:
nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2016/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AEUcmKDaklY
nytimes.com/2014/09/22/us/us-ramping-up-major-renewal-in-nuclear-arms.html
nytimes.com/2016/05/27/science/nuclear-weapons-obama-united-states.html
democracynow.org/2016/4/15/obama_s_trillion_dollar_nuclear_arms
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Prizes that actually matter:
nope
Nobels are just a popularity contest, and are no different than the academy awards

About to win the Nobel priz next week ama

what for?

any favorites for med&physiology?

optogenetics

>Peace prize matters
I dropped it when Obama won

economics, proving that in my opinion 1+1=42

>no math

dropped

I assume crispr will win in medicine and physiology

probably shared between jennifer doudna, emmanuelle charpentier and feng zhang to avoid drama

>spreading the message of nuclear disarmament and getting other nations to decrease their stockpile isn't worthy of a peace prize

youtube.com/watch?v=AEUcmKDaklY

The peace prize had become a farce well before that.

lmao, remember actions speak louder than words.
nytimes.com/2014/09/22/us/us-ramping-up-major-renewal-in-nuclear-arms.html
nytimes.com/2016/05/27/science/nuclear-weapons-obama-united-states.html
democracynow.org/2016/4/15/obama_s_trillion_dollar_nuclear_arms
>President Barack Obama announced a 30-year, $1 trillion program to modernize the U.S. nuclear-weapon arsenal.

Apparently the guys responsible for detecting gravitational waves are pretty confident (one of my lecturers helped out on the project). Honestly, I can't see it though. They only confirmed something that was predicted by Einstein. The prize for the Higgs wasn't given to the guys at CERN, it was given to Peter Higgs himself (and the other guy, whose name escapes me). I feel bad that they've got their hopes up now.

reminder that Nobel is famous for inventing dynamite, which he thought would lead to wars being too terrible to fight. Instead it led to the first era of terror bombing.

He literally made all of his money as an arms dealer. He only established the award because he developed a guilty conscience later in life.

>Muh Obama meme

Look at this pleb, user Ghandi didn't get one. The prize pretty much lost most of it's luster as soon afterwards.

Not that it matters since you probably never had enough knowledge about it's laureates to legitimately care about the peace prize.

>too new to remember Yasser Arafat
>sharing it in 1994
fgt pls

I think it's definitely gonna be gravitational waves. The people who made the first Bose-Einstein condensate also got a Nobel prize, that was also predicted a long time ago.
I might be wrong, but I've heard that the problem with the Higgs discovery was that there were simply too many people involved at CERN, and they could only pick 3.

>Nobels are just a popularity contest

Unfortunately, this is true to some degree, even for the STEM prizes.

Literature and Peace however are pure politics, i.e. trash.

>Ghandi didn't get one
serves that nuke toting pajeet right

Nobel lost all credibility when they gave the peace prize to Obama.

UWA boy?

You already have the Fields medal