CS Cringe

Why are so many CS students so cringey?

This kid just mass mailed this out to the entire class. I seriously feel embarrassed for him.

Thank god I only have 2 more CS classes to take for my computer engineering degree, the other engineering and math students are usually more down to earth.

Post your cringiest CS student stories

>white hat hacking government systems
i can't even wash the cringe and stupid out of my eyes.

That, plus the title, plus his threats to snitch to the prof, plus his """cool-guy""" picture at the end

I'm a cs major and there's not that much cringe in my class but I go to a pretty good school, the closest there is to cringe is talking about memes on facebook group chats (never in real life) and maybe the occasional literal neckbeard (but the neckbeards are generally pretty smart and chill people)

He has a good attitude and connections, he'll probably get a great job and you'll be stuck posting on Veeky Forums for the rest of your life.

Only about 10% of the kids are cringey autists where I'm at (most are fairly normal) but in my other classes (physics, math) there were students that would throw tantrums and yell at the instructor over what they thought a correct answer should be and every time I already knew they were a CS major (has happened about 5-6 times within the last year)

>in CS, 4th year
>all lazy fucks got kicked out during mandatory Physics courses
>everyone around is a decent human being
Did I do something wrong?

>implying Veeky Forums is a bunch of neets

I'm assuming this kid hasn't been through physics yet as he is 18. I only have had to put up with freshmen and sophomores so far. I hope they get better.

No, but it's mostly a bunch of freshmen who only brag about their major and/or university. These people are also mostly American.

No, he's clearly autistic, but no surprise that some other autistic CS major thinks he has "a good attitude". Fucking CS brainlet socially inept monkey.

>TI-83
>TI-BASIC
THAT'S NASTY

Usually these number of these assholes is reduced in 3rd year classes. In pure engineering they usually drop out faster or you leave them behind.
In CE you usually take classes from both CS and Eng. department so you got thrown together with the tards.

>Why are so many CS students so cringey?
Idk. Extremely cringy social outcasts apply for CS. The problem is they aren't socially bad because they spent their time instead on computers (out of interest) it's the other way around: they're retarded so they spend their time on computers. Also the retard level "I have fallen in love with subject X." mostly comes from people who only have a sort of adoration for the subject, but they can't really understand it deep enough though.

Avoid the tard that fixes the problem.

Go to the department head and say his email made you feel "unsafe."

guitarist here
I like how he cropped the picture to try and hide the fact that he's playing a cheap jackson ibanez copy

Being outgoing sometimes involve doing a bunch of corny shit.
Better a kid that takes that sort of risk than an introvert whose only concern is to never look ridiculous.

Literally me and I have no regrets. This is a freshman board, deal with it.

This. It's a freshman world, you're all just living in it.
t. buttmad in seattle

THIS IS SO GENIUS

DO IT OP

Hi, Ethan

Why? There is nothing to gain.

He admitted to being a cyber-terrorist, report him.

This.

Dude has connections. You should befriend him and try and use this to your advantage.

There is everything to gain in taking risks.

In this case no.

lol at anyone here trying to act cool

if you're posting on Veeky Forums you're a phaggot and aren't much better than Ethan whether you admit it or not

Beat me to it
You can tell from the fretboard

You might think this is cringeworthy, but he's probably going to be much more popular than you OP. Maybe you could learn something from this guy.

how about you're both faggots OP
you and your class nemesis
the fact that you posted this here makes you seem like a bitch who longs for approval, same counts for his mass mail but at least he's not hiding behind anonymous

Hi Ethan

I used to tutor in my Community College's CS lab. I had to deal with "CS majors" who literally did not understand the concept of multiplication. Explaining modulus to them was a nightmare.

And don't get me started on the fucking autism of some of the other tutors. They'd debate or give people advice on shit and it was clear they were talking out their ass / parroting what they read on reddit.

I'm just glad I was finally able to transfer out to a real school, even if the way they transfer credits is fucking retarded. I've got a bunch of holes in prerequisites for upper level classes because the CS track at my old school was in C++ and this school uses Java. Also semester units to quarter units. Combine the two and I'm being forced to take a class where the first lecture was literally 30 minutes of the professor dropping spaghetti while reading slides about what an array is in Java.(Yay for having a professor who has spent the last 10 years as a Software Engineer and has never taught a college course before)
I wouldn't mind the easy material and nervous professor except for the fact that he's assigned a shitload of homework.

Jesus fuck. I'm glad I'm not in CS.

Can Ethan be the new Veeky Forums mascot?

Also MOAR CRINGE PLZ

This post is copy pasta. Go fuck yourself OP.

I like him.

He seems to be a nice guy trying to show himself and find companions for a better quality of study process. I can't see anything bad in that. Things he wrote might be stupid but that's not out of malice.
t. math major
p.s. the reason you don't see this with math students is because we're mostly autistic.

>nice guy

Synonyms for 'nice guy':
creep
autist
cuck

Tell me what is good about being a creepy autistic cuck?

OP is mad because ethan gets mad pussy

>so much externalized self-hatred
You're a wonderful person, user

>I only have had to put up with freshmen and sophomores so far. I hope they get better.
Same here, family. It's really depressing being around lazy fucks who don't belong in college. Faggots who aren't interested in their major, who don't study the basic fucking shit that's laid out for them right out in the open, and yet are very vocal about their doing terribly on their exams. If I have to listen to another one of these fuckers brag about how much they didn't study the night before the exam, I am going to crack a fucking skull.

>so much externalized self-hatred

What the fuck? Is this a new meme?

Daaamn Daniel!

That's what it is. The well-adjusted people who tear you apart for your honest mistakes don't laugh at or consume cringe humor

Seconded

You are on the wrong side of things unfortunately

I'm at a community college, none of the cringe people made it past the first semester CS courses.

>implying it isn't

there are a fuckton of "self taught" physicists and mathematicians here.

For an 18yo, this kid isnt that cringey at all. What is pretty cringey is sharing his shit on Veeky Forums for e-points.

Edit: read the last sentences. Wtf.

OP here
*anonymous e-points
And it's mostly the snitching comment that made me cringe, although I am pretty sure I was at least this cringey when I was 18

I'm no CS major (maths/finance/stats/cs), but it was my favourite topic out of all my courses, just get to take it the least. That being said, everybody in that class had the biggest chip on their shoulder, as if they got bullied in school. Tried to emulate jock culture in their nerdy dota way, rather than how most people grow up at uni.

I do better than them at their major in the courses I've taken of it, but I swear I've met so many fuckwits and idiots that take it.

Oh god, I've overheard conversations about this with fucking engineers! Abhorrent.

>Post your cringiest student stories
Because I was using a fake profile picture and name on facebook, a bunch of kids in a 'CS freshers' facebook group got triggered and reported my profile.
Also just recently turned up to a google recruitment event, and they mentioned how they were offering scholarships to people who """"identify"""" as female, and while most people nervously laughed, some people looked really impressed with how progressive it was.

These are a couple of the non-autistic stories. If we're going for autistic stories, I couldn't fit them in a single post.

>there are a fuckton of "self taught" physicists and mathematicians here.

heh sure thing buddy

>majoring in cs
Now that's cringe.

These people are social failures. Put them into a normal program and they will grow up, maybe have one or two ticks because they literally need to relearn so much but become average people. If they have any motivation and genuine interest, they may be hardworking students and change the course after finding out where they want to work. Without the pressure from jocks in high school and their hormone overdose, university is a very valuable experience for them, way more than for others.

In CS their number has reached some critical mass. Instead of seeing how normal people interact, taking them as examples, slowly evolving into normal human beings by working with them in a somewhat organized fashion, they see other retards and think that it is normal to behave like this. Suddenly they watch ponyshit and people don't laugh at you but give you compliments. You leave the house without shoes and nobody calls you out. It's like a feedback loop: enter as an autist, leave as a huge autist.

The worst is of course, that they are not only social retards, they reenact what others do in teenage years instead of accepting that it's too late. Drinking and coming late and refusing to learn and blaming the teacher instead of yourself is now cool. And so after 5-6 semesters, CS courses only have two kind of people left:
- normal people interested in the subject
- literal autists who are extremely good at one subfield
Retards and normies in for the money are all out (unless you go to a shit "SE is CS" school , in that case you still have the people who want an easy webdev job)

>Veeky Forums
>literally the only board where you can't properly call someone out for being a neet
>did it anyways
You madman.

This

He is making a good faith effort to socialize (and gain connections)

He'll be weeded out, soon

OP here giving an update
So basically everyone in the class was talking about his cringeworthy email, and he's now the biggest loser in the class. Though, this was kickstarted by the fact that aside from the email, he's also EXTREMELY VOCAL and will interrupt the professor to give some """""cool""""" facts and historical info about the material.

My favorite: "Yeah, linear algebra is used extensively in computer science, which is amazing since it's so simple to grasp."

Everyone despises him, and the professor had to tell him to hold off on his questions until he finished. My god

Jesus Christ the meme must be fucking real with Computer Science. Almost hard to believe. This is why I'm studying Applied Mathematics for a soft dev job instead of this meme field

Give him a wedgie

All the CS majors I know demolished Physics.

Physics is nothing compared to 80 hour programming projects in 3000 level classes.

This thread is hallelujah mountain, keep updating OP.

>tfw we're living in a society where being outgoing and sincere and not shielding your elf under ten layers of irony and cynicism is considered weird and everyone makes fun of you for it
feels bad man

I hate when my elf isn't under ten layers of irony and cynicism

>guaranteed replies

Oh God, this is the kid who needs to be shut down

I bet this fag wears tighty whities

>have many friends who are CS majors
>i hate computers, and consider myself clueless about them
>i consider myself "good" with computers in the sense that i can troubleshoot most problems in windows or spend 5 hours figuring out how to wigwam the new drivers for some broken shit if i absolutely have to
>i've built my own PCs since my mid-teens, but i hate doing it, and i only learn contemporary hardware standards JUST LONG ENOUGH to build the thing without getting ripped off, and then i forget everything
>tldr: i am not great with computers, but i have to use them, so i try to get along
>figure i'm pretty normal for any 90s kid who likes PC video games
>talk to fuckload of my CS major friends
>they're BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY that i built my own PC
>they're BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY that i can do basic shit
>half of them can't use alt+tab and shit like that
>i swear to god one of them didn't know about keyboard hotkeys for copy+paste
>one of them has an alienware laptop
>all of them buy their computers off-shelf or from super expensive alienware-type things

What the hell man

Gosh, you guys really want to scoff at him but you don't seem to recognize that if you go too far with that shit you set up a highly anti-intellectual climate in your class and lose in quality of your study.

> "Yeah, linear algebra is used extensively in computer science, which is amazing since it's so simple to grasp."
Despite it's not a clever thing to say out loud you shouldn't blame his personality for this or get angry. There is a better way -- don't frustrate, be smarter and make not angry but ironical and clever comments or no comments at all.

>Everyone despises him
This would never happen among actually clever people. Think of it.

Agreed.

t. math major

TO BE HONEST I DON'T DOUBT THIS ( IMPLYING COMPETENT CODING )

This is true, but it has little to do with why the guy in OP is an autist.

There's a difference between being sincere about enjoying CS and sending every stranger in your class 3 paragraphs of bragging about how cool and smart you are

Trying this hard to impress people makes you a blowhard in any society

t. Autistic psued

People who are stupid enough to expose themselves deserve all the bullying they get. There's nothing wrong with weeding out those weaker than us. And there's nothing anti-intellectual about shutting down a retard that serves as a detriment for actual, thought-provoking discussion. You make it seem as if we're dedicating all of our energy into hating this guy. He's like a fly; whenever he gets too courageous and steps out of his place, we just shoo him off. Thankfully our professor understands this and keeps him in check, for the most part.

Jesus, I feel bad for this guy. He's probably lonely, and just wants to make friends with people and thinks that the way you do this is to impress everyone and show off.

He's doing the exact opposite of what you should do, which is to stop focusing on yourself and show genuine interest in other people. People like people that make them feel good about themselves; this will trump everything else. It's really that fucking easy. I wish I knew this "secret" back when I was in high school. I had to be a fucking door-to-door blender salesman to finally figure this shit out.

Of course this doesn't mean you just compliment people. That's another common mistake. People, even normalfags, regardless of what sci may believe, are at least smart enough to pick up on blatant flattery, but there are ways to circumvent being picked up on the radar.

I can speak more on this if anyone's interested.

Do you compliment people to earn their favour? It's a strange way to communicate really even if people like it at first.

>Of course this doesn't mean you just compliment people.

I'm interested. A lot of the time I feel I have to carry the conversation whether its talking about myself, stories or just random shit.

>show genuine interest in other people
Anyone with social connections has more than enough people genuinely interested in them, or convincingly faking it.
The social marketplace requires you sell yourself, frame potential relationships in terms of the other person's self interest.
I have seen people do essentially what this Ethan kid did, only more obnoxiously, and walk away popular instead of laughed at

"stop focusing on yourself and show genuine interest in other people" is just another shameless, just-world copout

>implying
When I get invited to a dinner I ask who I'll be seated next to so I can do research beforehand on their job. Get on my level.

I'm a graduate student in theoretical computer science at a school that has upper-level undergrads take classes with graduates.

Something I've noticed is that the normal computer science majors here (the ones that have to do systems plus theory) are fairly normal socially; we have this separate major called 'math and computer science,' though, that seems to attract the most cringe-worthy bunch.

Just the other day I had the misfortune of sitting near one. He relentlessly raised his hand to answer every single (babby-tier) question the professor was asking. Each time his answer was acknowledged, he would do this autistic rocking in his chair and nod to himself; when his friend (also of this type) raised his hand and gave a slightly erroneous 2deep4u answer (that he'd heard in another class), both of them began to berate the professor saying, "NO IT'S NOT! IT'S NOT WRONG! NO IT'S NOT!"

It's not cringey, it's cute I think. He's just 18 too.

I'm that guy that answers every question in undergrad even if I'm wrong. 90% of the time it's just because I want the lecture to keep moving because I'm sick of hearing
"...and the result is....iiiiiis???IIIIs what everybody????"
The other side of the coin in comp sci is that everyone is too autistic to participate. I know those cunts know but are too lazy to speak up.

But I do agree the people who obnoxiously point out an error are the worst. It's not that much of a skill to say it politely or ask a loaded question that makes the professor look and realize logically that he made a mistake.

>Embassy library now on web.

>feeling bad for a compsci major

>The social marketplace requires you sell yourself, frame potential relationships in terms of the other person's self interest.

Only if you want to be friends purely with sociopaths and autists. The fact that you use the term "social marketplace" is a good marker that you're an autist with few friends (and you're probably "that guy" to those few).

This pic is such bullshit. Look and confidence are 90% earned, and not inherited.

t. someone who had neither but earned both

>the people who obnoxiously point out an error are the worst
This.
It's far from the worst sort of relational aggression, but it is among the most shortsighted and unsubtle. So naturally you'd expect that behavior to get dogpiled by an environment that imagines itself the pinnacle of decency and refinement.
I only pointed out one mistake, and that was because the prof asked me directly.

>90% of the time it's just because I want the lecture to keep moving because I'm sick of hearing
"...and the result is....iiiiiis???IIIIs what everybody????"

Yeah, don't worry pal, some of your classmates think you're a dick, but fuck them. I do this as well, you might want to tell your classmates that you answer shit just to keep the class moving so they know that you're not a faggot. They'll understand.

>"...and the result is....iiiiiis???IIIIs what everybody????"

haha. fucking teaching monkeys

He's not being outgoing and sincere, he's self-aggrandizing and probably an idiot. I've never met a genuinely intelligent and educated person who went around telling everyone how much they know

Relationships are transactional. I don't think recognizing that is autistic.
I have been genuinely interested in others' lives and work before and seen that count for very little. You're making a drastic oversimplification because you find it reassuring

>The fact that you use the term "social marketplace" is a good marker that you're an autist
Or that's he's over 30 and realist about what he expects from life.

>/r/pua

>tfw prof realizes you know stuff so he points at you without volunteering if nobody else answers
>tfw either have to lie and say I don't know or be that fucker answering 50% of the questions by himself

>90% of the time it's just because I want the lecture to keep moving because I'm sick of hearing
>"...and the result is....iiiiiis???IIIIs what everybody????"
Yea for real this shit is so stupid.

Ok, so the key is to allow people to talk about themselves and to compliment themselves.

If you feel you have to carry the conversation, you're talking too much and you should let the other person speak. How to do this without seeming interrogative? Just make statements that assume something about them and allow them to agree (or even better) disagree with your statement and then clarify themselves. People love disagreeing/clarifying when it comes to personal details. You'd be surprised at the type of sensitive stuff people will spout just because they want to disagree with some assumption you made about them.

That's the first step, it'll allow you to actually get to know the other person. Then you direct the conversation toward stuff you both have in common. If you have nothing or very little in common, it's probably just best to move on. There's no sense in getting to know someone you have nothing in common with. But really, everyone has something in common with you. No man is an island.

As for letting them compliment themselves, an easy way is to just make third-person statements and then let them apply those statements to themselves in their mind. A very easy way to do this is to talk about it from the perspective of a friend.
e.g Person tells you he's worked XYZ. You mention your friend who also worked XYZ (or something similar) and how he told you it required (qualities you want to compliment person on).

This doesn't register as a "compliment" but it does make the other person feel good, because in their heads they can agree with you without feeling arrogant.

That's really all there is to it. Just let the other person talk. Don't worry about them realizing that they're doing all the talking either, most people never do.

What you're essentially doing is taking advantage of the misattribution bias (I learned this much later). You're making them feel good, so they associate good feelings with you and conclude that they like you.

>tfw you know he's about to ask a question you dont understand
>room silent
>user mind explaining why
>room remains silent

Couple additional things:

Don't whine or complain. Joking around or griping about a common enemy is well and good, but actual whining makes people feel bad (and yourself feel bad too). Stay positive.

Stay away from sensitive topics initially. People have strong feelings about things like religion, politics, even sports teams, unless its an opinion/belief you share in common, best not to risk offending them.

Occasionally ask for small favors and do favors for them. If they thank you, make sure to say something like "It's cool, I know you'd do the same for me." to let them feel they can reciprocate. Reciprocation is very powerful.

Smile and laugh more. It makes you look more attractive, laughter and smiling is contagious, you'll feel good and make others feel good.

Don't worry so much of what "they" are thinking about you. Most likely they're just thinking about themselves. Let them.

>p.s. the reason you don't see this with math students is because we're mostly autistic.

I wish this was true. Most of the people in my classes are outgoing/well-rounded people, so I have to say hi when we pass and maintain eye-contact in conversations

>Trying this hard to impress people makes you a blowhard in any society

This