Help Veeky Forums

I have to choose five of my favorite books for a college application, what should I choose?

inb4 >"choose your five favorite books"
I know, but if I can find one that I haven't read that would fit better I would like to put it in

The trick is not to choose any dead white males, and make at least 3 of them females. And make sure to have maybe 1 or 2 plebby genre novels.

is it worth the spaghetti when they ask you about the one they haven't read?

put in john green and "my diary"

Mein Kampf
Min Kamp
Zweites Buch
The Difficult Second Book
Infinite Jest

Pick your 3 absolute favorites. Then add 2 more to show a diversity in taste. Save these for females and/or non-whites.

john green
the quran
3 random female writers

Pick any 5:

1.The Screwtape Letters, byC.S.Lewis

2.The Stand, by Stephen King

3.Red Dragon, by Thomas Harris

4.The Thin Red Line, by James Jones

5.Fear of Flying, by Erica Jong

6.The Silence of the Lambs, by Thomas Harris

7.Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein

8.Fuzz, by Ed McBain

9.Alligator, by Shelley Katz

10.The Sum of All Fears, by Tom Clancy

You should probably choose five of your favorite books.

The Quran
[pic related]
The Fault in our Stars
The Second Sex
Harry Potter

P L E B
P
L
E
B

pick three of your favourite books, plus a jane austen novel, plus Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

Ulysses
Gravity's Rainbow
Infinite Jest
Moby Dick

Put your 5 favorite books. This isn't going to make a difference, just fyi. Trust me, they aren't going to look up a book they haven't heard of.

tell them you haven't read five books, but you welcome the opportunity

>but if I can find one that I haven't read that would fit better I would like to put it in
They are going to ask you about the books probably

OP, they're not judging you by what you've read, but how cogently you can speak about what you've read. Some sperg who puts down The Iliad, The Odyssey, Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow, and Ulysses, but can't say anything coherent about them, is going to get tossed on the trash heap, while someone who lists five John Green novels, but can make some sort of argument about them, is going to get in.

And, for the purposes of disclosure, I wrote on Hesse's Steppenwolf for my entrance essays.

Replace whale-fucking with The Recognitions

Achebe went to uni and had a good education. Basically he is privileged af

this. do this.

But Steppenwolf is a good book, what are you implying?

This guy right here

OP here. I'm not asked to explain the books at all, I don't think they are asking me anything about them, so it can really be anything. are any of these okay?

>1984
>a brave new world
>the things they carried
>the trial
>catch 22

Choose some SJW shit, most of the adcoms are niggers/women so they'll eat it up

Don't say The Trial. If you're gonna do Kafka, at least pick one of his finished works, like The Metamorphosis.

Within those three, pick a traditional classic favorite, a genre favorite and your real favorite.

>at least pick one of his finished works
There's no need to pick based on that criteria. And The Trial is way more straightforward in content than the Metamorphosis.

Although for some reason a lot of college students think the apple gets stuck in Gregor's heart, I assume a bad sparksnotes went around a few years back or something.

>>If you're gonna do Kafka, at least pick one of his finished works, like The Metamorphosis.
>>If you're gonna do Kafka, at least pick his one work that every high school student is assigend, so they'll know ylu aren't interesting at all, have no mind of your own, and bring nothing out of the ordinary to their school.

Ftfy.

OP: if you're going to go Kafka, go Amerika.

Kafka was never assigned in my school. I don't know what you mean.

Also, OP:

The rest of your list has the same issue as I pointed out in my above post. I would suggest you pick one or two that aren't too far out there, but that they don't see on every other application. Maybe something like One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, or Babbit by Sinclair Lewis. Then pick one or maybe even two that they see rarely, if ever, something like a lesser known work of a "classic" author, so it is still at least somehow familiar to them. Something like Steinbeck's Travels with Charley would do well here. You should probably have a couple that are typical high school curriculum, though, so they know you do read those, too.

>1984 and ABNW

How redditt can you get?

The Aeneid- Virgil
To The Lighthouse- Woolf
Tales of Belkin- Pushkin
Complete Emily Dickinson
Complete Borges

Seriously? Even the remedial English kids were and still are made to read at least a portion of Metamorphosis at the school where I graduated (a mediocre-tier public high school in the American south). From conversations I've had, it seemed like this was the norm across the states, and I know he's widely read in Europe. Where are you from?

I'd say pick one ancient work, maybe some Ovid or a lesser known work by Virgil. Only if you've actually read it mind.
Then something medieval or early modern that you like a lot. Gulliver's Travels or something along those lines.
Then 3 of your favourite books that are interesting and fairly unique choices, with one of them being from 1970ish or later.

>Banality of Evil
>Archaeology of Knowledge
>Orientalism
>Dialectic of Enlightenment
>The Anglo-American Cyclopaedia
And then you add that you have never read any of these.
And getting to is your main reason to attend their college.

Animorphs 1-5

> contains racial and gender diversity and carries on, much more eruditely I might add, with the kinds of themes Kafka was dealing with in the metamorphosis.

Lolita

put it five times

Keep removing letters like

Lolita
Lolit
Loli
lol
lo

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
If on a winters night a traveler
Meditations by Aurelius
The fault in our stars
The Waste Land

What do you plan on studying dips hit? Then turn it into how if these are your five favorite books and how their combination chose you to pick this mager.

MFA general thread (US) which one and why?

> most pay for everything so basically worst outcome is 2 years free to write
> best outcome cushy and fulfilling job teaching

Give me your thoughts

Sorry lads, see you at the thread I mean to make

So basically a black writer, an asian writer, a woman writer, 1,000 years of solitude, and then a book you actually like. GL user

Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead
Anthem
We the Living

,,, and Lolita

whats MFA?

The Michener Center (UT Austin) is probably the best program. Tons of money and 3 years. Acceptance rate: 0.5%. Good luck!

One of the five should be The White Hotel by D.M. Thomas.

The Invisible man by Ellison is also probably a good choice

Will literally anyone at your school care what books you listed on your application? I can't see why they would.

Maybe don't put 1984 AND ABNW. Just one.

I hate that you're completely right. Lie, OP, lie because your college career depends on it.

It's just called Brave New World you fucking geeks.

Every single one of those is required high school reading. Have you read anything in the last few years that was too edgy/sexy/modern/etc. to be "reading list" material?
Some Nabokov? Vonnegut, even?

Collections will set off alarm bells, two books in translation is probably too many, and To the Lighthouse is the one Woolf book that is assigned as high school reading in AP lit and the like.

Ulysses, to show that you appreciate prose and the art of the modern literature.
Faust, to show your classy side and display your love of theatre.
Thus Spoke Zarathustra, because you are an intellectual who embodies the Ubermensch.
1984, displaying your ability to immediately understand the hubris of the government and the immoral direction they're leading us.
Harry Potter, because you're still a child at heart, able to escape to the world of wizards and warlocks, and have fun.

Now this one could work. If your app were being read by an English prof they would think you were a literary genius.

Don't put any fucking Nietzsche for fuck's sake. Nothing says "future school shooter" more.

Notre Dame has a program that is 1) funded by Nicholas Sparks's vast wealth and, 2) is taught by avant-garde post-postmodernists.

*tips fedora*

Pick the first 5 books off of any Veeky Forums top 100 books chart.
Except Infinite Jest

Not him but I'm from Texas and we never read him or even acknowledged that Kafka existed, where are you from?

The Old Testament
The New Testament
Mein Kampf
Denying the Holocaust for Dummies
Gramsci's Prison Letters

Machiavelli's The Prince

Mein Kampf
The Anarchist's Cookbook
The Turner Diaries
The Satanic Bible
120 Days of Sodom

you should put my five favourite books because i'm a pretty cool guy with great taste:
>kazuo ishiguro - the unconsoled
>laszlo krasznahorkai - war & war
>hermann melville - moby-dick
>virginia woolf - the waves
>dezso kosztolanyi - skylark

a game of thrones
a clash of kings
a storm of swords
a feast for crows
a dance with dragons

Finnegan's Wake
Phenomenology of Spirit
Lolita
Infinite Jest
The Fault in Our Stars

Thank me Later.

>lolita
don't be surprised if your interviewer turns out to be chris hansen...

Complete Works of X always does the trick.

Steppenwolf is my favourite book tho

For me:

The Joy of Life - Emile Zola
Ladies' Paradise - Emile Zola
Fortune of the Rougons - Emile Zola
Germinal - Emile Zola
The Kill - Emile Zola

:^)

Of course, this is the only option:

1. Ulysses
2. Gravity's Rainbow
3. Infinite Jest
4. The Tunnel
5. The Recognitions

This OP, this
It's all about diverse, individual taste without being too alien. I'd go for something like
The Idiot by Dostojevskij
The World of Yesterday by Zweig
Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck
The Handmaids Tale by Atwood
Emma by Austen
Thoughts?

The Sun Also Rises
Lolita
Meditations (Aurelius)
A Clockwork Orange
Oh, the Places you'll go

>if I can find one that I haven't read that would fit better I would like to put it in

I would not accept you into my college, bro. You are so stupid that you think someone who read book X is better than someone who is honest, someone who isn't insecure about the books he has or hasn't read.

kek

>Mein Kampf
>Corpus Hermeticum
>Holy Bible
>Political Theology: Four Chapters on the Concept of Sovereignty
>Morphic Resonance: The Nature of Formative Causation

Pick 5 Pynchon books and use the Pynchmeister copy pasta as your essay.

Who said anything about translations :^)

Gravity's Rainbow
Infinite Jest
Life of Pi
Merchant of Venice
Pet Semetary

boom, you're in

Replace The Recognitions with The Corrections and it's perfect

The Iliad
The Odyssey
The Aeneid
War and Peace
Green Eggs and Ham

Mein Kampf
The Protocols of the Elders of Zion
The Anarchist Cookbook
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Eat, Pray, Love

Eastern Yuropoor here, do you americucks really have to do this in order not to come off as muhracist, or otherwise not well rounded? Why should a reader's preference towards literature written by and focusing on women and ethnic minorities, as opposed to that written by "dead white males" determine whether they're decent hiring material?

It's our college system mate. If you thought the fact that college education is more expensive than a house was bullshit, then get ready to get blown away.
Literally all college is unless you go to graduates school, go to some sort of engineering and technology specialty academy, or focus your degrees in Physics, Chemistry, or Mathematics; college is literally nothing more than SJW style Liberal indoctrination. They teach you nothing that you don't already know, and all they do is promote all of those "Privilege" bullshit systems. If someone is woman, black, Arab, gay, or transgender, then they are more important. If you are white and publicly disagree with someone on that list, then they drop your contract.

Pic sorta related, the acceptance rate for African American minorities versus whites.

replace The Idiot by Dostoevski with The Savage Detectives by Bolano

I know that U.S. colleges, as if their cost weren't enough of a nuisance, had become dens of degenerate ideology, but your observation regarding STEM-oriented schools gives me an odd feeling of satisfaction. I intend on studying chemical engineering anyway, so if I were americuck, I probably wouldn't have to put up with most of the SJW bullcrap. Not to mention it gives you an actual job.

Still, this didn't answer my question of whether employers actually benefit or take pride in the fact that their potential wagecucks are also ideological cucks and admit this through their book picks.

>a Florida man who says
Self report
>he is a first year premed student
And it's absolutely nothing anyway.

To top that off your chart is actually a fake made up one and you have never been near college. I imagine you're salty that a bleach feeding retard can get in but not yourself.

>have to choose five of my favorite books for a college application

where do applications need this shit?

I've got you, OP.

>The Color Purple - nigger points
>Mrs. Dalloway - stronk womynz points
>Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence - even niggerer nigger points
>And the Band Played On - faggot points
>The God Delusion - euphoria points

Congrats on your college acceptance.

They're exaggerating. I don't know why. It's true some teachers will push mediocre books because the author is not a white man, but no one ever dares to shit on the canon unless they're fringe cases who tend not to hold any power.

Ruh Adam
Bozkurtların Ölümü
Bozkurtların Dirilişi
Vitamin Z
Dalkavuklar Gecesi

Be a patrician, you fucking trollop.

Ada
Mason & Dixon
Underworld
Invitation to a Beheading
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Would Harry Potter really be accepted?