What are some books that make you smarter?

What are some books that make you smarter?

I tired of reading fiction and simply being entertained. You can learn real things from reading fiction, but not anything of much worth. It plays a second fiddle to a fictional plot you will most likely forget about a week after you finish the book.

Which books will make me smarter if I take the time to read them?
>Pic unrelated

Any book will make you smarter so long as you take the time and digest the information which is presented. Look up the definitions of the words you don't know. Read history, philosophy, science, etc.

Learn about critical thinking and any book will do it.

I recommend starting with basic economics, wealth of nations, wealth by foreign trade,(wasn't the right name but whatever look it up), Marx capital, not necessarily their work but how contemporaries have translated it. Umm machiavelli the prince, (kissingers doctoral thesis on it and nuclear weapons and foreign policy), art of war, clausowits fog of war. Biographies. Sorry, normally more coherent but on phone and working so fuck it, you get the point

Study how to process information then go with your interests.

>What are some books that make you smarter?
>Yeah, user, about that....

Sorry, nothing can make you "smarter". You can either accumulate knowledge (be it philosophical ideas, vocabulary or scientific knowledge) or train your brain to process better certain skills. Like math or language, arts, even eye-hand coordination, space awareness, etc.

But smarter? No. You can pretend you are smarter than what you really are. Like repeating words from dead authors or using someone else's experience and act like you can think outside of the box when in reality you just read an article or the wikipedia.

But being smart is about your capacity and limits. You just have to play with the cards you are given. Good thing that "Being constant > being smart".

Trust me. I have seen many smart people in dead end jobs, and I myself am an ass and yet I hire and give jobs to people way smarter than me.

Getting more smarter for Dummies

Worthless, OP's just looking for works that are informative. Way to just give your shit opinion though. But he is right about actually getting smarter. I mean, you could learn all about rocket science but that isnt going to help you bagging groceries and would probably be pretty dumb if that's what you are learning to get out of where you are. It's all arbitrary or situational so you kind of got to start from where you are. If you know what you're interested in doing with your life, do some research, find role models but dont idolize them, read their bios, take notes. Being smart is overrated, I believe in the theory that just about any idiot can do/think of something brilliant and any genius is capable of doing something completely idiotic. DON'T DO ANYTHING SOLELY BECAUSE OF OR FOR A WOMAN, leading cause of men doing stupid sit.

Nothing will make you smarter. You're either born with it or you aren't, you aren't.

>Nothing will make you smarter.

pfhaha, don't tell him guys.

Lel, been keeping up with this thread the past 6 hours and this is it? It's all about FOCUS, develop the protestant work ethic and avoid religion until your mid to late twenties. Unless you practice unitarian universalism, probably the most reasonable, imo, then stick with that. How old r u OP?

You're just not intelligent, you know if you are, people tell you your entire life, constantly over and over, 'you are the smartest person I've ever met'. If this doesn't happen to you then you are nothing special, and even if it does happen to you you might just be the best in 10, 000 which is equally meaningless in the world we live in.

like the catch. haha

kill me

read nothing, die eventually

Nothing makes you smarter. Do you want to be more informed? About what? These questions need to be answered for me to give a proper response.

Anyone can work to improve what they were given. Stop encouraging laziness.

nonfiction shit man. Science, history, math, the works. Anything needed to provide education to myself from all the wise people who came before me.

if looking at reality makes you lazy or upset you need to grow some balls

All in all, very specific history isn't that necessary to know - the political, social, economic, and cultural theories that developed as a result of history, however, is. Science: what do you want to know? The world of science is incredibly vast and for you to just say you want to know more "science" is far too vague. Math, at a higher level, isn't really too necessary unless you need to know it. Set theory might be a good place to start since it stands (relatively) alone and can be applied to other fields in a somewhat useful manner. Also, how old are you, what country are you from, and what is you education level/employment?

however, are.*

I'm 22 year old American. I work in a library. I guess the field of science I have the most interest in is Physics. What books must someone read in order to expand their knowledge of engineering?

What level of education do you have in physics? If none, start with classical mechanics.

Also, for what it's worth, I have 3 years of physics education at a college level so I can try to help you out on the different "levels" but I can't recommend specific books; you'll have to just look around for the best or most popular books in those specific areas. Also, one of my professors mentioned a book about rudimentary particle/theoretical physics that was presented as an introduction for people who don't know too much about physics. I'll try and see if I can remember/find it.

I haven't found the book I was looking for yet (it's about some guy in Victorian England traveling on a bike as a representation of different parts of quantum theory; I want to say it's called something like "Mr. ______'s Travels", of anyone knows what I'm talking about) but the Feynman lectures are available either online or in print, and are a great beginning-to-"end" series about physics.

Thank you. I'll start with classical. It's okay if you can't find the book. I wouldn't put too much effort into finding it on my behalf.

The Bible

By the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Mein Kampf

Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche