QTDDTOT

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread:
Does Veeky Forums already have these threads?
12 point font or 11 point font?

Yes.

What's the best academic edition for Hamlet and The Merchant of Benis?

Is Pynchon just shitty genre fiction with great prose? I feel like I'm having way too much fun reading Gravity's Rainbow.

How are hogarth's translations?
I just got dead souls off of gutenburg and I noticed he's the translator
Haven't heard much about him

just means youre a nerd. pynchon is a good writer, obviously incredibly smart, but a huge fucking loser.

What is the windows 10 of literature?

Do you guys buy comic books digitally or physically? Why?

>buying
I've bought 2 in my life: star wars legacy issue 12 and transformers heart of darkness issue 4

I usually just read new releases on /co/ every Wednesday
I'll buy some trades and omnis of stuff I really liked
I haven't bought a floppy in years though

>comic books
Please, I'm not a plebeian.

However, I get my creepy fetish mangas digitally

Does anyone remember off the top of their head what was in Hal Incandenza's stoner kit?

if somebody could post the pages where it's mentioned i would be very grateful

Is Song of Myself the most pretentious thing ever written?

No, that's this post

Can someone with a bibliotik account download, zip, and set up a link where I can download Matisse the Master by Spurling and Renoir, my Father by Jean Renoir?

I'm new, this is my soon to be stack. Tell me a little about what I bought and give me opinions. Not pictured is IJ which I've already received and started (enjoying the storytelling a ton but only time will tell what I take away from it) and Fear and Loathing which just got cut off. I know I just bought a random pile of memes but in trying to get a feel for what I like. Also Lonesome Dove is my mothers favorite book so I am going to read it to make her happy don't bully me too much

Does anyone know of a book that is based around perhaps just the life in a village, or a group of people going out into the wilderness and creating a small village from nothing? I'm beyond interested in this but cannot find anything fitting it yet.

Ralph "Walden" Emerson - Waldo

Growth of the soil

lord of the flies

What's the book where the guy's in hell and he's (possibly) a detective and then he goes to heaven and it's all silent and white, so he wants to go back to hell?
Is it any good?

The Divine Comedy
:^)

The Divine Comedy iirc

Anybody?

Crying of Lot 49, despite the acessible cartoon humour and the short length, is actually a little bit difficult. I'd suggest taking Harold Bloom's advice and rereading it immediately after you finish it the first time.

Enjoy your books user!

Thank you i will keep that in mind
Thanks user, what are you reading now? What are you looking forward to?

Thinking of writing a main character who is good but also insane(not the violent type) because of what he has to deal with on a daily basis. Would the readers be turn of on such a character?

I mean I'm pretty sure it was during the scene Hal first goes to smoke in the tunnels. First hundred pages or so. There's a scene-by-scene guide, I bet you could find it.

I want a book about magic, I want magic done, a LOT of it, I don't care about it having amazing prose, though plot is good, this is for entertainment, similar to what I've read so far: Jonathan Strange, Mistborn, The Magicians (Lev Grossman), HP
Thank you

I've read most of the greeks, are there any good modern books on the history/culture that will help round out my knowledge?

Insane goes well with neutral, not good. Can you tell anything more about the character/story/ what year? I've never written anything btw

I suggest asking this on reddit my plebeian friend

How modern?
I've read "A history of Greece to the death of Alexander the great" by J.B. Bury and thought it was good. It was written around 1900

Brass one hitter, lighter, film container or pot, eye drops, toothbrush and paste, old spice, kodiak wintergreen. All in two baggies wrapped up in a sock. This is off the top of my head but I read the passage yesterday in my first read of IJ and it stuck with me because I wanted to replicate this kit and go on stoner adventures

Does anyone have a torrent for the new harry potter book? I heard it was kind of silly so I wanted to check it out

but I am

How are you preparing for school?

It's such a popular book that you can go to any public tracker and find it instantly.

Is this a good version of Portrait or should I get something else?

looks awful, get something else

really doesn't matter since it's not a translation of any sort

and the novel doesn't really need an introduction

Well I own it and it's kinda formatted stupidly, so I'm going to return it, seeing as it's twice as expensive as the other ones on Amazon. (I bought it because I liked the cover.)

Do you guys recommend the Penguin Classics or the Oxford World's Classics version?

I like the RSC/Modern Library editions. Good footnotes, decent supplementary material. Mostly stuff about historical productions of the play and analysis of those interpretations. Includes a helpful scene-by-scene summary.

Anyone here finished Finnegans Wake? I'm 100 pages in and I'm starting to lose interest. Is it worth reading the whole thing?

Go to the site AbeBooks and look up Portrait, you'll find every version imaginable and various prices. I remember liking an old green version but I can't remember any other specifics.

owc version is what i have, but i was going to check out the penguin deluxe version that has that funky cover and a knausgaard intro, possible buy it for a re-read(first read was for a class, and was fast/didn't catch every bit)

oh, that was supposed to be a recommendation for the oxford but encouraging you to check out the new penguin one.

no

How do I effectively increase my vocabulary as a writer, besides using a synonym dictionary or reading more books.

I'm not a native speaker, but I intend to write text adventure games in English, including quite expansive entries. I feel that I don't absorb unusual, obscure words as well as a native speaker - can I somehow bypass this handicap? Some kind of interactive vocab expanding programs, perhaps?

What are interesting styles copro/lit/es recommend to check out? I've seen some quotes from Cormac and holy shit, that's such an alien way of writing. That really piqued my curiosity.

Also, I don't really see Veeky Forums providing much in the way of structured learning aides for writers, unless I'm missing something. Anybody care providing any they like?

Ulverton

>How do I effectively increase my vocabulary as a writer
Your vocabulary reflects the complexity of your language use/reading

>besides using a synonym dictionary or reading more books.
One should refrain from synonym dictionary use unless you want your lexical contributions to scan to the layman in a corrupted sense, outside the scope of your desired communication

Sweet, thanks for the recs, guys. I think I'm just gonna go with OWC because the deluxe Penguin edition is more expensive.

10 with more line spacing

you bought some real meme books

Did you read my post or did you just look at you image and get super excited to totally REKKKK me even though I said that myself.

Sounds kinda like prince myshkin desu.

Lonesome Dove is a great read, no reason to bully.

I have anxiety and sometimes I have trouble reading in public. How do you deal with this?

Read in private

I also recommend this.

always arden for individual shakespeare plays. dont get the collected though, its shit. get riverside or bevington in that case

I find Arden drowns the text in footnotes, most of which are not needed.
IMO footnotes for Shakespeare should only be definitions of archaic words or words used differently than they are now.

Go to the same place often enough that you start to feel like you belong there and everyone else is a transient intruder. Self-superiority works wonders for that kind of anxiety.

Basically try to make that cafe or park bench "your space." Of course, you might have to share it sometimes, so try to think of that as a gesture of magnanimity that you can feel good about.

always talk about the literary life but what is the literary death?

Pocket full of rocks, belt, oven, you name it.

What's the best edition of Heart of Darkness?

What is the best translation on Marx's Capital, and what is a good companion guide to read with it?

Is there something like Dumas stories but with setting in England?

If you still want to go on stoner adventures by the time you finish the book, I and dead DFW be cry.

Honestly?

If you don't enjoy your Stoner Adventures for the sheer sake of getting high in the woods and enjoying nature then you were probably just cowtowing to social expectations, or doing a thing because you were told it was the thing to do.

If reading a book ruins your enjoyment of a thing by changing how you perceive it then you never enjoyed the thing for itself; just how it affected others perception of you.

You big Phoney

can anyone rec some stories or poems set in the pacific northwest? i read would you please be quiet please by raymond carver this summer and thought the settings (even though he didnt focus all that much on them) of his stories were fascinating.

Did Demetrius have the flower removed from his eye, or did he only love Helena at the end because of the spell?

Oh and also, was Bottom aware that he had the head of an ass? I remember all the puns he kept making but did he know?

Is it good enough to read and then write a freshman paper on? Or is it just a huge meme?

It's a classic, it's not a Veeky Forums meme.

Does Don Quixote change much throughout the work(s)? It's entertaining so far, but after 20 chapters I haven't found anything to love about it yet. I'll still keep reading it, but I feel that familiarity with the premise may have deteriorated its impact a bit.

it's excellent

>Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov is a brilliant novel with a truly despicable main character. The narrator writes under the pseudonym Humbert Humbert, a French intellectual with a pedophilic fondness for nymphets. Humbert’s interactions with characters in the novel display his negative qualities while his style of writing sways the reader towards the positive ones. Humbert is critical of other characters in the novel, and it is through his opinions and interactions with these different characters that his own strengths and weaknesses can be identified.
Does this seem like a plausible start for a quick paper?

What are some interesting "war books" (or not) that I could use for inspiration in making ARMA 3 missions?

All Quiet on the Western Front
Storm of Steel

How good does my english need to be such that I can read Shakespear and understand it properly

As long as you have a basic command of the english language you can read Shakespeare.

Understanding it is mostly up to interpretation but if you pick up one of those No Fear Shakespeare copies it basically holds your hand throughout the writing. It would be a good choice for someone who is just starting Shakespeare and doesn't speak English well.

and with what should I start?
I find Hamlet most arousing

Hamlet, Midsummers Night Dream, Romeo and Juliet

I like those three the most. Read whatever interests you the most. They are all of similar difficulty

How can literature even compete with music in creating emotional impact?

I read pretty much all the classics and some of the memes Veeky Forums recommends, also tons of trashy popular lit but nothing could make me feel strong emotions, no matter how much I tried to make it happen while I could listen to some Beethoven sonata in the passing and become almost teary. (Film is even weaker without music)

I guess not being able to identify with any of the characters so far was a part of it, but even assuming I could do that, there is still the problem that words are far less direct.

So basically what I am asking ... could you name some works that brought you to tears and explain why?

Is this the equivalent of "here's your (you)"?

Where should I stop with the dune series?

Any tips for reading more difficult novels?

I started The Brothers Karamazov around a week ago and I feel like quite a bit of it is going over my head

The only things that have brought me to tears have been the deaths of some family members and the first time a student of mine who had been on a path to wind up prostituting herself, in prison, or worse pretty told me I saved her from that kind of life.

A book I read recently that came very close to making me cry was Sophie's Choice. And I don't mean the scene when Sophie first arrives at Auschwitz made famous by the movie with Meryl Streep. It has easily one of the most emotionally powerful endings to a book I've ever read. That book does not get the praise it deserves.

Forgot about the "explain why" part. I don't want to reveal too much in case anyone actually does read it because it would take away from its emotional impact to know what was coming, but essentially the last sentence or two share the thoughts of the protagonist in response to all the horrible things he has gone through, learned, and described over the course of the book, and it is just overwhelming.

I think people connect differently with different things. I'm more into film than lit, and music has always been one of my least favorite art forms.

I'm just theorizing, but I think it has to do with how you engage with things. With lit and film, I can engage with the works in an intellectual sort of way. It's like I'm trying to pick apart different narratives and themes until I can understand them, and once I understand them I can open myself up to their emotion. I'll finish a book and sometimes have to think on it for a long while before the real force of it hits me, and when it does hit me, the emotions tend to be complicated but still powerful. With music, I find everything is the opposite. The biggest emotional lifts happen when you aren't intellectualizing a song, and generally intellectualizing music doesn't add a great deal to the emotional lift. At the same time, the emotions don't seem to be very complex with music. Usually I just feel basic things like joy or sadness, and I understand the emotions. There isn't anything left for me to analyze, it's all just there.

But this is just how I engage with things, and these are sort of my first thoughts on the subject. They feel a little incomplete and amateurish. Really, I don't understand how you could read that many books and not identify with any of the characters. In my experience, it doesn't take much to engage and identify with hardly any character. It takes some thought sometimes, it's not always automatic, but I usually manage.

I just read Letters From a Stoic and then Siddhartha. Way better than Infinite Jest which I read before them.

What would you recommend if I enjoyed those two things?

try more Hesse
Demian is a fast read, try it

Avoid saying how you feel about it like calling it brilliant in the first sentence.

Also, he is not a pedophile, his penchant is for prepubescent girls, different word for that, can't remember it exactly.

You need to get into non verbal experimental music like Autechre, John Cage, Stockhausen.

ne1?

What's up with the French in Lolita?
I can't tell what anyone is saying besides the protagonist. I'm on part one chapter 8, does this stop?

I'm reading Stirner and so far so good! Things so far align with my views on a manner better expressed that I could do for myself. However, this quote mystifies me, regarding Stirner's stance on ideals and the spirit. Any information on Stirner for my first read would be much appreciated, as I gathered much of you are proponents of or are at least familiar with him.

"The man is distinguished from the youth by the fact that he takes the world as it is, instead of every-
where fancying it amiss and wanting to improve it, i.e. model it after his ideal; in him the view that
one must deal with the world according to his interest, not according to his ideals, becomes confirmed." from his first section. Thank you kindly!

What music do you mostly listen?
You sound like you didn't delve into the different genres, history of music, etc. at all

It's like judging cinema by its blockbusters...
Or judging al literature by picking only lame poetry that's straight/onyourface instead of "intelectual"

I just get a feeling you appreciate these forms of art for what they give you as far as how others see you goes. Not good.

Here's the scenario
>an author set up something really cool for a future book
>people are predicting the possible culmination of this setup
>the author hasn't alluded to it or confirmed what will happen, entirely fan speculation

Is it haram to steal this theoretical idea, write it into my book and release it before the other author gets to it?