Legacy wise...is Ramanujan a greater mathematician

than Grothendieck?

the poo goes in the loo

Ramanujan is one of the most overrated mathematicians to be honest

yes he was a genius on the level of Gauss, Euler

but in terms of acocmplishments alot of the stuff he just rediscovered

Grothendieck was a much more groundbreaking mathematician, people just like to romanticize Ramanujan's story

Ramanjuan legacy isn't very impressive. He was a brilliant mathematician and could have easily been one of the biggest names had been given the opportunity. Wasted potential

you could say that about half the "brilliant" mathematicians throughout history.

if Galois hadn't died like a cuck, imagine what he could have done.

another important think to note is that Ramanujan's work is mostly a pile of bizarre-looking identities, each of which may or may not be interesting or useful.

Grootendick created and restructured big swathes of mathematics

I think the second is "greater" mathematics

look, i dont know much if anything about grothendeck, but i'll tell you this

tell me what?

Wtf is this post lmfao

we can only judge Ramanujan by his current accomplishments

any talk of "potential" is meaningless

In my opinion his greatest mistake was not staying in England. He could have lived much longer and contributed a lot more to mathematics.

>
A 1994 analysis of Ramanujan's medical records and symptoms by Dr. D. A. B. Young[86] concluded that it was much more likely he had hepatic amoebiasis, an illness then widespread in Madras, rather than tuberculosis. He had two episodes of dysentery before he left India. When not properly treated, dysentery can lie dormant for years and lead to hepatic amoebiasis.[87] Amoebiasis was a treatable and often curable disease at the time.[88][87]
Fucking why

You didn't really counter his point...

well i mean you can make that argument about anybody, the "potential" point is meaningless

we have to judge legacies based on what they accomplished, not what they had the potential to accomplish

implying

yeppers

This

basically this

No.

Actually, we don't have judge legacies at all. It's pretty fucking pointless.

Not even joking, he was killed by the poo outside the loo

Daily reminder that Grothendieck is a fucking wizard.