Death of the Endless

Is there a better personification of Death in literature?
Reason?

To those who don't know, pic shows the anthropomorphic personification of Death from the Sandman series

i dunno, discworld portrayed a pretty funny and irreverent Death

bump

Literally the best thing Gaiman ever created

Probably not. But I too want to know if there is.

Without question.

What comic is that?
I read the whole of sandman but i can't place this anywhere

It seems like a fun series. Pratchett co-wrote Good Omens with Gaiman, so I have my doubts considering I didn't find Omens interesting enough to have finished it.

yeah dude death is totally some goth chick ebin
GTFO

Books of Magic. It's from Vertigo, and Gaiman is one of the three writers. Not at all a part of Sandman but I think it holds it's own as a side story. It is about a young boy who has the potential to become the world's greatest magician.

It's = it is
its = indicates possession *

Habit, lads. Also I don't want for this to get flagged as a comics thread. I really liked the Black Rabbit of Inlé. He's a legend among the rabbits of Watership Down. In their own language called Lapine, Inlé means the moon; also moon-rise. But a second meaning carries the idea of darkness, fear and death.

It's a cute novel. Maybe not everybody's thing. Pretty whimsical, I highly recommend it.

>death is a woman
>woman
>gender responsible for life
>is death

Please tell me he addresses this, because it seems really stupid.

i'd imagine it has something to do with desire and attraction

Pterry's writing improves over time over the course of discworld

Who is the author, user?

I don't think so.
Desire is a separate entity in Sandman universe
I think it is the idea that at the end of their lifetime, people deserve a warm, approachable, friendly individual to lead them beyond
A female seems better equipped for that purpose

do they ever fuck?

>a good number of religions throughout human history have had a death goddess or goddesses related to death in their pantheons.

I do not know why the author of Sandman made Death a woman but the concept is nothing new.

maybe becuase in fantasy sandman land death is just a guide, a messenger.
ZLike an oracle, or a temple priestess.

Birth is a transition into life, death is a transition into beyond.
theres probably a connection between the transitional nature of the life cycle and having a woman guide you through it.

Short answer: no
Medium-length answer: She is the most radical idea of death. Pretty much every major depiction of death in fiction portrays it as at the very least, grim, if not downright satan-like
So the question is, is this different depiction necessarily better than, say, Hades?
It's simply a matter of perspective. As Dream himself says in "The Sound of Her Wings":
"I find myself wondering about humanity. Their attitude to my sister's gift is so strange. Why do they fear the sunless lands? It is as natural to die as it is to be born. But they fear her. Dread her. Feebly they attempt to placate her. They do not love her.
Many thousands of years ago I heard a song in a dream, a mortal song that celebrated her gift. I still remember it... That forgotten poet understood her gifts. My sister has a function to perform, even as I do. The Endless have their responsibilities. I have responsibilities.
I walk by her side and the darkness lifts from my soul. I walk with her, and I hear the gentle beating of mighty wings..."

I'm going for this, actually. Death is one of the greatest characters in Discworld, and that's saying something - Pratchett wrote how an anthropomorphic vessel for the concept of Death would behave, especially when taking into account the fact that it was shaped by the thoughts and ideas of humanity. His Death is essentially a simulacrum aware of its hyperreality.

Death isn't outside of life, it's one of its fundamental components - it's been noted by countless writers and philosophers. Not like humanity lacks a long tradition of female figures of death and fate anyway...

Jesus Christ, no

desu he doesn't