On the Kindle is ....
Animal farm
A clockwork orange
The great Gatsby
A brave new world
Heart of darkness
Everybody poops

entry level as fuck

Pretty good mix, hope you had a good summer. My only criticism is that there's not enough philosophy. You certainly could have balanced out those Twain stories with some of Kant's shorter works.

Anyway, hope you had a good time.Now that fall's rolling around, what are you thinking for your autumn list?

meme tier vacation

vacation to a 12 year old nabokovs library my friend.

my birthday is in fall so I will ask for an abundance of amazon vouchers. I will probably begin with Dostoyevskybut maybe, just maybe I might head for the meme trilogy starting with IJ

What is the meme trilogy aside from IJ?

I might as well complete the trilogy since i'm about to finish IJ (which I have loved reading).

Also, is the Oxford classics edition (and translation) of Anna Karenina good?

>vintage twain
Hipster. Get some high tech modern twain

gravity's rainbow and finnegan's wake

personally i wouldn't waste my time

Vintage twain is best twain

"Lets play spot the newfag daddy"

The dude's just starting Plato's Apology, he's a long way off from Kant.

ulysses, not finnegan's

You don't get upvotes for awful half-assed jokes here so don't bother next time

gtfo pleb

>Its another Le Infinite Jest sucks even though I shouldn't be commenting on it since I didn't have the intellectual capacity to finish it episode.

The older meme trilogy is out of vogue m8, you need the new one but i'm not spoonfeeding you that one

NO IT ISNT
YOUR SHITTY FORCED MEME IS DEAD
NOBODY EVEN KNOWS WHAT THE NEW ONE IS BECAUSE THERE ARE THREE DIFFERENT SPERGS PUSHING DIFFERENT VERSIONS

Read Tolstoy, Plato, Melville and Joyce. Burn the rest.

Trade them all in for a copy of Atlas Shrugged.

It might seem a little like "autism: starter pack", however, I read recently Asimov's the Last Question and it was one of the best fiction pieces I read, so I decided to give a try sci-fi once again.

stop bullying me immediately or I can't guarantee your safety

it's pretty entry level

not to say that those aren't all fantastic books, but it's basically exactly what comes to peoples' minds when you say the word 'literature'

what's important is that you enjoy it though, have a nice holiday friendo

Nah the alternate meme trilogy is pretty well cemented. It's The Recognitions, The Tunnel, and 2666. People often sub Women and Men for one of them though. It's more of a quadrilogy. The Lime Twig isn't long enough for consideration.

you are absolute garbage my friend :)

Fuck off, go to reddit if you want your shit voted on.

I'd say ratemypoo. com is a better site for that.

>finnegan's
>'s

reaching/10

Well, its incredibly easy to build very good stacks when you're relatively new to literature but you're doing well in that regard
Nothing wrong there m8, nice that you actually read them

One could always try to optimize but honestly, everyone has their needs and interests, there can be no universal entry level reading list. I always found that for myself, I need to make sure to always have some "light" and/or relatively happy reads handy. I'd go crazy when I read too many gloomy and heavy works in succession. You're doing nicely in that regard, it ain't all the same kind of feels.

>has a kindle
>still brings physical books

Looks like a whale of a tale.

Those are fine books to be sure, but I (without a note of condescension, I might add) am surprised you have not yet already read them. I remember doing book reports on four of those whilst still in middle school--a time which has long since passed.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy them.

>dat Moby Dick cover

that ana karenina cover is 10/10

scrub. i read the entire works of melville and joice in kindergarden.

without baiting. if you think you had the maturity to aprehend all of those books themes, motifs and messages in middle school, never mind appreciate them, then you must still be in middleschool

Thematically speaking, "holier-than-thou" fits the bill for Veeky Forums.

I do not understand your agency for discrediting someone's anonymous post online and I find myself content to carry on without understanding it. I hope you find and read a book that makes you happy.

>Dubliners
His worst novel IMO, but the only valid starting point for Joyce.

It has nothing to do with intellectual capacity, just attention span.

>I do not understand your agency for discrediting someone's anonymous post online

neither i yours, which is why i called you on your bullshit, or do you expect anyone to not understand the denegration you were inflicting not only on OP, by calling his literature of choice "middle school level", but by claiming any of that literature is middle school level.

Many books have made me happy. your post made me sad.

Do you need to read 2666 in Spanish to read it correctly ?

Why would you have a kindle and still bring along eight paperbacks that all are available in ebook form?

That's space being wasted in your bag that you could use for cool Hawaiian shirts with dragons and shit.

Which ones? Where did you go to school? Sounds unusual to me - but then I'm a Britbong, so we wouldn't have read the Mark Twain ones which seem the most obvious choices.

What I did this summer:

An Area of Darkness- V.S. Naipaul
Austerlitz - W.G. Sebald
Galaxy in Flames (The Horus Heresy, #3) - Ben Counter
False Gods (The Horus Heresy, #2) -Graham McNeill
The Story of the Scrolls: The Miraculous Discovery and True Significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls - Geza Vermas
Horus Rising (The Horus Heresy, #1 - Dan Abnett
Wessex Tales Thomas Hardy
Ivan the Terrible (The Russian Series, V. 32) - R.G. Skrynnikov
The Vegetarian - Han Kang
The Story of the Lost Child (The Neapolitan Novels, #4) - Elena Ferrante
Skylark - Dezso Kosztolanyi
On the Edge - Rafael Chirbes

Bait is strong.

are you telling me you read anna karenina and moby dick at

what ive read so far this summer, minus religious texts (re-reading portions of the Bible, working through City of God, etc.). macbeth is a reread, just starting Mme. Bovary

I neither said nor implied any such thing, going out of my way to state that I was not bearing any condescension in mind or in tone when saying that I was merely surprised he hadn't yet read them. I used my own experience with some of those books as an example of when I had read them, but did not mean to compare myself to the OP.

None of what I said qualifies as bullshit just because you took a fancy to your own interpretation of it.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, Anna Karenina, and Moby Dick; I attended Wayland, situated in MA, in '76.

No. I never said anything that you people are saying I said. I did not even imply it. The books were not part of the school's curriculum, I simply opted to read those books in particular and complete reports on them. While I do not recall much of my middle school experience, I do not think it's fair to say that they were negligent for allowing me to read what I wanted to.

>Also, is the Oxford classics edition (and translation) of Anna Karenina good?

It's a maude translation. They are quite good, but I'd go with something newer. I was really impressed with Schwartz' Oblomov translation, I bet her Anna Karenina would be superb. Bartlett has gotten great reviews as well.

No Jonathan Safran Foer, no Jonathan Franzen, you even trying?

>Dubliners
>novel

It's both a novel and a compilation. The stories are all set in the same general location in the same general period of time with a constant progression that is concluded at the end of The Dead. It's a novel that happens to have a large cast of characters and a variety of narrative perspectives.

How does that edition of Gravity's Rainbow differ from the Penguine Classics Deluxe Edition with the black and white cover ?

You only have three days of vacation? Wew Lad

it fixes the omissions/errors
it also looks better

More aesthetic.

Also less errors.

Is this your first time reading Flaubert ? Not my favorite by him but Madame Bovary is great.

Loved a clockwork Orange and the movie was awesome too must watch

Just read hitchhiker's a few weeks ago, really hilarious, never really got tired of Adams' style or humor. P good read imo

What errors are in the other version ?

More like "pretending to be smart: starter pack". It's not even good sci-fi or good popsci.

I also brought lots of books with me on holiday, already knocked two of them off but they were relatively short.

So far I've read Skylark and Franz Kafka's America, I've got the rest lined up:
Don Quixote
Infinite Jest
The Magic Mountain
Parade's End
Fall of Hyperion

Which do I read next? Considering I'm in Spain Don Quixote seems like the most logical choice. I should be able to finish off the 1000 within the last couple weeks I'm here since I can read 300-400 pages a night here without distraction.

I forgot I had Life and Fate by Grossman too.

yup!

a few omissions, if you google it you can easily find the major one (one long sentence is cut in half).

Why do you still need psychical copies if you already have a Kindle you pleb

Is it worth it to get the better edition online if I already own the Deluxe one ?

Actually, I looked up the notorious omission and then looked at the page in my copy and the sentence isn't missing anything. It looks like Penguin corrected it at some point.