Never read a book since high school. Now 23. Is it too late for me to become Veeky Forums?

Never read a book since high school. Now 23. Is it too late for me to become Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

thegreatestbooks.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No.

Good post.

go read

No, just start reading again.

No. Any other questions?

don't "become Veeky Forums". if you want to read, read. if you don't, don't.

It's never too late to read a book. I hope you find something you like.

You have cca 50 years left to become Veeky Forums (whatever that means). Go read a fucking book already.

No it's not. Not at all. You may be in want of a decent vocabulary, and your reading comprehension and speed may be inadequate. Just a matter of effort to bring them back up to par.

Yes, I'm afraid are already demon okay!

This is the case with most of us. I'd recommend making the most of your time though. Read good books only until you're caught up to speed.

Just read what seems interesting. Some of the posts on here are okay for finding works you may like but just don't read things exclusively from here or you'll become like everyone else on this board; that's why this place is degenerating into /mu/like meme-culture.

This is crazy I'm 23 too and I want to become Veeky Forums God, but my English is below average. wat do?

Learn english

Listen betch, to be or not to be, I know English okay. I just need guide to be a Veeky Forums legend.

>to be a Veeky Forums legend.
Setting the bar awfully low for yourself, I see.

bump

I'm 23 and started reading the classics about a year back. Now i'm starting comp. lit. studies at uni. There's always time to become lit.

Nobody here is Veeky Forums, so don't worry.

In fact, nobody can be Veeky Forums, it's a journey, a state you seek to attain, but can never fully attain. Most people here aren't Veeky Forums and will never be Veeky Forums. But you are always welcome amongst the inner circle of those who are progressing toward it.

every book you read takes you further away from being Veeky Forums

no one here reads

To be Veeky Forums you just have to read the 100-120 books that regularly get memed here and that should only take 2 years.
If you wanted to be well read its already too late for you.

Got a list of those books, kind user?

Please reply, oh kind user.

One of the most effective methods of learning or improving in a second language is reading in it. You get better at reading and can read more by reading more, there is no secret and that's a good thing. You literally just keep reading and it gets better as it goes, you notice more references to other works or common themes, you recognize words you didn't before, shit that used to be difficult becomes easier. Just get a dictionary and pick up some books.

Don't see why it would be too late. A lot of books here seem ""worth"" reading for Americans only, pertaining to American culture post 1900. I don't see why anyone other than an American would be interested in white-blacks relationships or Vietnam novels. Seriously I'd rather read a history book.

In my experience, a lot of people take a break from reading after high school for three or four years and then get back into it.

I was 23, had only read about two or three books since high school, kicked it up a gear, now I'm in my honours year majoring in English. at university with a scholarship, so, yeah, not too late. I'm 27 btw.

Harvard Classics or Western Canon, they have wikipedia pages. The Veeky Forums starter kit with entry level summer reading is good too i guess.

Or you could read books about what you like. Look up a subject in wikipedia and go to further reading.

Plot and setting are easily the least important aspects of a literary work.

is it too late for you to become a modern day Samuel Johnson? probably. is it too late for you to read literature and enjoy it, and maybe even become wiser for having done so? absolutely not

take this list with a grain of salt

thegreatestbooks.org/

also pls dont start with proust/joyce/cervantes/wallace/homer

first you have to learn how to read

desu just start here

also don't tell people you're a reader if you don't read atleast 30 books a year

Why 30? Seems like such an arbitrary number to choose. Most people don't have the same amount of free time. Someone who works 12 hour days can't find the same time as a neet to read. Doesn't mean they're not readers.

Because it has been like that since Foucault.

Is it just me, or is Lolita substantially better than anything on that list?

You have a life time ahead of you, potentially 75 years or more. So it isn't too late to become acquainted with the Western canon. Crawl before you walk; don't start by leaping into James Joyce or the Russian authors.

Too much anglo crap. There are several minor works that don't deserve to be here, sure a beginner shouldn't immediately challenge himself with the greats but it doesn't mean the starter kit should be full of irrelevant shit.

Clockwork Orange is on par with Lolita IMO, in terms of exuberance. New readers could still do far worse than reading everything on

Which lists do you recommend, trip friend? Also, if I may ask, how old were you when you started reading seriously?

OP said he wanted to become Veeky Forums, not start going to an American high school. Don't waste your time on mediocre authors like Bret Easton Ellis, Harper Lee or Kurt Vonnegut, there are lots of books that are both easy to read and actually important in the Western Canon™. The only stuff you should read in that list : Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, Lolita, Dorian Grey, Siddhartha, Huckleberry Finn.