I was wondering why can't smartphone chargers have jack connectors like in headphones...

I was wondering why can't smartphone chargers have jack connectors like in headphones. Following logic and my marginal knowledge of how electricity works, I have come up with an answer, but to be honest I don't know jack shit about physics nor technology really, so I wanted you guys to tell me if my answer is correct.

So, chargers can't have jack connectors because in order to charge a battery, you need a closed cirquit for AC electricity to flow. Jack connector doesn't have that, because it only has an input end. It works for headphones, because their closed cirquit is inside the phone and the AC electricity flows through jack back into the phone, not into headphones (if it was otherwise, there would be a risk of getting shocked). There is a something in jack connector which interprets AC electricity flow in phone and creates two DC electricity flows for their respective phones, which are then interpreted into sound by two somethings in ear-parts of phones. It won't work ro charge battery, because battery needs AC, not DC. It would be possible to make headphones with mini USB connector though, but it would be counterproductive because they'd need that something to turn AC into DC anyway.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Unfortunately I'm completely ignorant when it comes to physics, so please explain it like I'm 6.
Also:
>What are those somethings I mentioned in post and how do they work? (Ignore if this belongs in /g/
>How does battery charging and discharging works from scientific point of view? What's the difference between charged and discharged battery inside the battery itself?

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/How-to-Harvest-Power-from-an-Audio-Jack/?ALLSTEPS
wired.com/2015/02/battery-doesnt-store-charge-work/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Jack connector doesn't have that, because it only has an input end
No it doesn't.
Jacks have two or more contacts. Those black bars you see are delimiting the three contacts in your picture.

Well you certainly weren't kidding when you said you don't know anything about physics or electronics.

Im not completely aware of the physics behind charging low power devices, but i know this:

1) Audio jack connectors are output only, and more importantly are not connected to the charging circuit. So, you cant charge using an audio cable, and even if you could the power would not make it to the battery but fry your motherboard

2) The bandwidth cap for audio cables is like 192 kBps whereas a simple usb 1.0 has a bandwitdh of 35 mBps. So not only can the usb input and output info, it is also roughly 200 times faster.

Not everyone has to. I just wanted you guys to tell me if I'm correct and tell me the right answer if I'm not. No need to make fun of me. There is quite a possibility that I'm more competent in linguistics than you, but I don't think that makes you worse than me.

In terms of power an audio jack has about 0.02 watts of output power while usb connectors have 5 watts.

So usb connectors are 200 times quicker with data and 250 times quicker at transmitting power.

If that's the case, then why don't headphones just use usb? Wouldn't that drastically improve sound quality?

To answer your question, i think, yes it is very easy to use jacks as chargers but they are inefficient. Rectifiers are fairly simple to create in the physics realm.

> because battery needs AC, not DC
This is why he made fun of you. All, and i mean all batteries need DC current to be charged. AC pulls and pushes current, so it would never build up within a battery. AC is great for sending information not charge.

> more competent in linguistics than you
not with how confusing your syntax is in the original post (couldnt help myself haha)

>turn AC into DC anyway.
AC to DC and vice versa is a very simple physics problem and is being done right this minute in your computer.

see:instructables.com/id/How-to-Harvest-Power-from-an-Audio-Jack/?ALLSTEPS

low key, though, your question is jumbled and almost incoherent as to what you really are confused about or want to know.

Also
>How does battery charging and discharging works from scientific point of view? What's the difference between charged and discharged battery inside the battery itself?

On a simple level, the amount of charge within the battery. Yes a battery charged weighs more than an uncharged one, due to the mass of electrons. I dont know how technical to get, because there are a plethora of dissertations, research and entire fields dedicated to this.

>humanities student thinks they're equal to STEM
k E k

Consider what a person is listening to the song through. With a simple earbud or headphone set-up, no. The headphones wouldnt be able to produce a higher quality sound than the current bandwidth provides.

For professionals they do use other connectors to provide higher sound quality as the speaker can take advantage of the extra power while your earbuds or even dre's will not.

>dude the battery just gets more electrons lmao
u wot?
Charge just moves from one side of the capacitor to the other.

mmm yeah, but i feared if i got any more technical than a clever macroscopic analogy he wouldnt get it.

I don't know why nobody is answering you.

Phones used to use connectors exactly like this, but this was before smart phones. Smart phones now need to send/receive data as well as charge, and those functions are combined into one cable: the USB cable.

As far as transferring power, a "jack" connector like the one you linked can actually deliver quite a lot more power than a USB can, due to the surface area of the receptacle.

Lack of respect between STEM and humanities people is sad because it shows that we cannot overcome our egos to improve communication between those two to maximise progress. STEM and humanities complete each other - one is a study of how the world works, and the other is a study of how people work.

You are not better than anyone just because you're good at STEM. The fact that your brain is more capable of understanding STEM sciences than some other people is not your merit at all. It's mostly random (though genetics and upbringing are factors to a degree too)

Op are you familiar with electrostatic potentials?

No.

This is how batteries are charged essentially.

wired.com/2015/02/battery-doesnt-store-charge-work/

A better analogy would be gravitational potential. As you raise a rock above the ground its potential energy increases, ie the higher it is the harder it will smash on the ground. Electrostatic potential is the separation of positive and negative charges with input energy. Then when connected through a circuit the charge rushes through the wire to meet the opposite charge on the other end. Kind of like a capacitor but a battery is a bit different.

any other physics quandaries?

Actually, you can use a jack perfectly fine to charge your battery. But it's unnecessarily costly.

A jack is good for audio because it has a low resistance and so won't draw a lot of current from sensors such as a microphone, that don't actually generate much power.

Now, this low resistance is also good for a power source in general, but it isn't nearly as crucial for a charging circuit.

It basically comes down to the material cost. You need more material (metal) for a jack than for a USB connector.

There is not really a simpler way to explain it. You should learn the basics of electricity and electronics anyway: those are good things to know IRL

>humanities students on Veeky Forums
You and mathfags should jerk off in Veeky Forums

>Yes a battery charged weighs more than an uncharged one, due to the mass of electrons.

This has to be bait.

STEM enjoys humanities as a curiosity while the majority of humanities finds STEM incomprehensible and makes no attempt, actively dislikes it, or, if they actually have an interest, become the market for media in the realm meaning it must all be presented for the layman and STEM are unable to learn anything.

The electrons have a higher amount of energy and a larger amount of energy necessarily means more mass equivalently. It is pretty basic E=mc^2 application. And it is true. No, there are not more electrons. But yes the charged electrons have more mass, thus weigh more, than uncharged electrons.

I once used an audio jack to supply power to a hobby project. It wasn't a good idea. I've attacked a picture of a typical female socket for reference. As you're inserting the male end the ring will will touch both pieces of metal on it and short out the power supply. Barrel jacks and RCA jacks don't have this problem.

AC/DC and smart capacitors/resistors to drive charge cycle on galvanic cells

so much ignorance in one post. there's like 10 things wrong with everything you're saying. you even included a novelty
>mass increases with energy
haven't seen one of those in a while. E=mc^2 only applies to resting objects. A more general equation is [math]E=\gamma mc^{2}[/math]

woops, meant relic not novelty

Smartphones actually can't have headphone jacks at all

t. apple labs

Everyone on this board is retarded. The only reason we use USB for charging is because it has more channels of input/output and is thus better designed for data transmission. If the sole purpose was to charge, we could absolutely use another 3.5mm jack, but then retards would accidentally plug their charger into the headphone jack and fry their phones.