Is the overman an inevitability? Doesn't it stand to reason that the people who don't want to live will go extinct...

Is the overman an inevitability? Doesn't it stand to reason that the people who don't want to live will go extinct, leaving behind only those who do? Is it more complicated than that?

Other urls found in this thread:

pitt.edu/~wbcurry/nietzsche/nuber.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pitt.edu/~wbcurry/nietzsche/nuber.html

Alas, the time is coming when man will no longer give birth to a star. Alas, the time of the most despicable man is coming, he that is no longer able to despise himself. Behold, I show you the last man.
'What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star?' thus asks the last man, and blinks.
The earth has become small, and on it hops the last man, who makes everything small. His race is as ineradicable as the flea; the last man lives longest.
'We have invented happiness,'say the last men, and they blink. They have left the regions where it was hard to live, for one needs warmth. One still loves one's neighbor and rubs against him, for one needs warmth...
One still works, for work is a form of entertainment. But one is careful lest the entertainment be too harrowing. One no longer becomes poor or rich: both require too much exertion. Who still wants to rule? Who obey? Both require too much exertion.
No shepherd and one herd! Everybody wants the same, everybody is the same: whoever feels different goes voluntarily into a madhouse.
'Formerly, all the world was mad,' say the most refined, and they blink...
One has one's little pleasure for the day and one's little pleasure for the night: but one has a regard for health.
'We have invented happiness,' say the last men, and they blink."

But wouldn't the pressure of time force a change to happen eventually?

If I loved Thus Spoke Zarathustra; are there any other works of philosophy or religion that's a good read?

Damn is Veeky Forums the slowest board?

My cock is insanely hard

Matthew, mark, Luke and John are good books

Who hasn't already read that?

Gimme a patrician recommendation

Last men need some eyewash xD

being the last man doesn't sound too bad. all that striving for ubermensch status only got nietzch cucked and die angry + resentful.

>last man
the last man is the woman

but gender is a construct amirite?

If suicidal impulse had a genetic basis, it would have disappeared by now. It's just something that can happen to anyone- either that or it's linked to something else with positive survival value.

>The earth has become small, and on it hops the last man, who makes everything small.
What did he mean by this? Is this about how a lot of modern people diminish great people and achievments, like "oh caesar was just in a lucky position, hes not anyone special" or try to ascribe simplistic character flaws that neatly ties up the entire person "he's just a psychopath"? Or something like that, I cant explain it properly.

he means that the last man diminishes the value of everything. everything means nothing, nihilism.

Depression could be useful when food is scarce (burn less calories due to less active CNS I assume). But suicide is always a mistake evolutionary, and would be just one of the many manipulative behaviours our imagination allows us to obsess over, or something like that. If anything depression is just recharging time for mania (modern societal structures obviously don't match the conditions we evolved for though, see depression during winter, and hypomania in summer).

t. drinking currently

*maladaptive

>people who don't want to live will go extinct

People don't go extinct, only species.

Like homosexuality it probably has indirect benefits to kin.

>The earth has become small
more homogeneous
> the last man, who makes everything smal
makes everything more homogeneous

i think in modern society winter and summer have become constructs in our minds.

It's only associations with daylight length, but obviously if you fuck more while manic, you'll have more reproductive success even if it's balance with depression over evolutionary time-frames prior to the invention of contraception.

as inevitable as there are outliers on histogram or a bell curve.

but the nature of ideology is constantly in flux.

the belief in god, which the ubermensch is predicated upon, is constantly in flux.
god dies but he also resurrects.

Why do I get depressed during summer but feel alive and happy in winter?

Because statistics, I prefer winter too, but most don't.

it's almost like when the external world represents our internal world we feel alive.

Nah, Summer in Australia is fucking hot, and winter is like European summer anyway.

Nietzsche was bizarrely profound. What I see in his evaluation of the Overman and the last man is that one is dangerously close to the other, and dangerously close to becoming the other. If the Overman is the ultimate above-human being, then wouldn't it be very possible that this being, upon becoming the ultimate above-human in society, would maybe no longer have a reason to despise itself? The only issue I see it would have is boredom... Maybe that is the last thing the Overman would despise.

But the only way to overcome boredom like that is to throw yourself into the pits of hell again. So the Overman would willingly step down from the throne now and again, in order to revive himself. Perplexing existence to say the least.

what indirect benefits does homoseuality have?
Also, I think if one suicides in a situation where food is scarce and it is either him or his offspring, and he can no longer reproduce, then suicide might be evolutionally meaningful.

The overman is the exact opposite of an inevitability.

Depends, you looking for something similar in style or similar in message? The bible is similar in style, for message, sadly, you have to start delving into the occult since philosophy more or less ignores everything Nietzsche did that wasn't critical.

Thelema is the religion with the most affinity towards Nietzsche's work, in fact he is considered a saint in Thelema's canon and his name is invoked during the gnostic mass. A significant section of the book of Thoth is basically a summary of Nietzsche's genealogy of morality. Thelema's take on ethics and experience as sacrament are also derived from Nietzsche. So you might go looking there.

This presumes that people who kill themselves

1: do not have children, which is categorically false (see: Papa Hemingway)
2: cannot be in possession of a recessive gene (i.e redheads can pop up in familys of brunettes)

there are obviously environmental effects but by the nature of similarly circumstanced individuals using different coping mechanisms i.e some not and some killing themselves we can safely assume that on some level suicidal tendencies have a genetic component