Maths jokes

Physics and chemistry accepted. I'll start.

Why is \pi sad?
cos \pi is negative

Good joke

This is a wonderful thread

delet this

>deg
Kill yourself

You ate sigma pee?

well capital sigma has a precise function in maths
whereas for \pi, you must learn how to pronounce this greek letter in english

What does the little mermaid wear?

Can someone explain the joke please for retarded people like me

an algae-bra

sqt -1 = i
2^3 = 8
sigma = ??
pi = pie

sigma=sum

Another one:

My geometry teacher was sometimes acute, and sometimes obtuse, but always, he was right

but what was he orthogonal to?

The universe is everyone's will

A bunch of Polish scientists decided to flee their repressive government by hijacking an airliner and forcing the pilot to fly them to a Western country. They drove to the airport, forced their way on board a large passenger jet, and found there was no pilot on board.
Terrified, they listened as the sirens got louder. Finally, one of the scientists suggested that since he was an experimentalist, he would try to fly the aircraft. He sat down at the controls and tried to figure them out. The sirens got louder and louder. Armed men surrounded the jet.
The would-be pilot’s friends cried out, “Please, please take off now ! ! ! Hurry ! ! !”
The experimentalist calmly replied, “Have patience. I’m just a simple pole in a complex plane.”

>i eight sum pi
I ate some pie.

A professor of mathematics noticed that his kitchen sink at his home leaked. He called a plumber. The plumber came the next day and sealed a few screws, and everything was working as before.
The professor was delighted. However, when the plumber gave him the bill a minute later, he was shocked.
"This is one-third of my monthly salary!" he yelled.
Well, all the same he paid it and then the plumber said to him, "I understand your position as a professor. Why don't you come to our company and apply for a plumber position? You will earn three times as much as a professor. But remember, when you apply, tell them that you completed only seven elementary classes. They don't like educated people."
So it happened. The professor got a job as a plumber and his life significantly improved. He just had to seal a screw or two occasionally, and his salary went up significantly.
One day, the board of the plumbing company decided that every plumber had to go to evening classes to complete the eighth grade. So, our professor had to go there too. It just happened that the first class was math. The evening teacher, to check students' knowledge, asked for a formula for the area of a circle. The person asked was the professor. He jumped to the board, and then he realized that he had forgotten the formula. He started to reason it, and he filled the white board with integrals, differentials, and other advanced formulas to conclude the result he forgot. As a result, he got "minus pi times r square."
He didn't like the minus, so he started all over again. He got the minus again. No matter how many times he tried, he always got a minus. He was frustrated. He gave the class a frightened look and saw all the plumbers whisper: "Switch the limits of the integral!!"

spoopy

2 is the oddest prime

I don't get it

Undefined 8 Sigma Pi
and it was delicious

>degree mode
kek

kill yourself

Imaginary Exponentiation Sigma Pie

>and it was delicious

my cum

Imaginary Cube Sum PI?

Big sigma is used in a variety of ways in math, and putting a sigma in an image with no proper context does nothing to imply it should be read as "sum" (barring the fact that only an undergrad would make an image that gay, and probably doesn't know of other uses of sigma). For example, does the image say, "i [ate] cobordism homotopy group?" Or, "i [ate] worldsheet projection map?"

tl;dr this thread sucks.

The punchline is funny but doesn't fit the context of the joke at all. There is no cogency.

>does the image say
the image says something supposedly funny, and the game is to decode the funny way

not to invent stupidly useless ways to read it, which are of infinite number

I was trying to address the claim that Sigma has a "precise function," and then I got carried away. Sorry.

you are totally right
what u think of this pic then

I think it is nondescript, but is probably trying to do the same thing as the image in the original post; when people see a big sigma they think, "ooh, complicated math!" On the other hand, this board's sticky is not trying to impose meaning in the same manner as the original post, and I think that's alright.

>pronounce this greek letter in english
Why would you do this?
Greek letters should be pronounced in Greek just like how Hebrew letters should be pronounced in Hebrew and Japanese letters should be pronounced in Japanese.

>math joke
A 3rd grader can understand the pic and the joke.

>well then go ahead, and launch a petition to restore falsified pronunciations and to ban translitterations of all kinds
you're the biggest faggot in here, /b/ro

A woman enters a bar with a dog and a cow. The bartender says : "Hey! Pets are not allowed in here." The woman answers: "But they are very special animals."
- Yeah right...
- Yes, they are knot theoreticians."
The bartender raises an eyebrow and says: "I've met quite some knot theoreticians that behave like animals, but never the other way round.
- Very well, let me prove it to you. You can ask each of them the question you wish."
The bartender asks the dog: "Give me the name of knot invariant.
- Arf, arf" barks the dog.
The bardtender winces and asks then the cow: "Give me the name of a topological invariant.
- meuh, meuh" moos the cow.
Then, the bartender says to the woman: "Well madam, you're trying to fool me!" and he kicks them out of the bar.
Outside, the dog asks the lady: "Do you think I should have talked about the Jones polynomial?".

Let [math]f(a)=(e^x)^{1/n}[/math].

[math]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \left( f(a) - \frac{1}{f(t)} \right)=\frac{d}{dx}f(u) \Leftrightarrow \lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \left( f(a) - \frac{1}{\infty} \right) = \frac{d}{dx}f(u) \Leftrightarrow \lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \left( f(a) - 0 \right) = \frac{d}{dx}f(u).[/math]

That yields:

[math](e^x)^{1/n} = \frac{d}{dx}f(u) \Leftrightarrow e^x = \frac{d}{dx}f(u)^n \Rightarrow \int e^x = \int \frac{d}{dx}f(u)^n.[/math]

Let's conclude:

[math]\int e^x = f(u)^n[/math].

but who was differential

Most matrices live on campus. In general, they don't commute.

>I will never be a professor at a comfy little college and make this joke every single linear algebra course to the fresh, audible groans of my students

>I will never show my students the sheared sheep once a year and never ever tire of doing so

STOP

I don't get it

(0,1) 1000 covariance matrix projection map?

>undefined

[math](teacher)^{\perp}[/math]

A biologist, a physicst and a mathematician are in a train. All of a sudden, they see a black sheep through the window.
The biologist : "In this country, sheeps are black"
The physicist : " This sample is not representative so we cannot conclude yet"
The mathematician : "In this country there is at least one sheeple with at least one black side"

The biologist: "That one is eating the grass different. Guess it must be an undiscovered subspecies"
The physicist: "Sure, it looks like a sheep, but it also looks a bit like a cow. Must be both"
The mathematician: "It looks like a sheep, but I cannot prove it's a sheep so it isn't a sheep"

>I will never show my students the sheared sheep once a year and never ever tire of doing so
Does every single elementary linear algebra textbook (well, the big ones with actual diagrams) have this?

SHIGGY DEG

top kek

Why do mathematicians love National Parks?
Because of natural logs.

>being a degreetard

>being a frogposter

ive gotta say user im not really getting it either

>someone actually took the time to write this out in latex

I can't stop laughing at how retarded this is

I like this.

This tickled me.

I'm using this

What exactly are you integrating over? d(petrol)?

That actually gave me a good chuckle.

kek

Why was 6 afraid of 7?

[spoiler]Because 7 8 9[/spoiler]

Why the fuck is this retarded joke so fucking funny?

Welsh engineer : "I'd love to suck that sheep's dick"

Please don't it is my joke

kek

thanks for making me read all that shit just to read the least funny meme on this fucking board

Can I get some context for this image?
It looks a lot like a high definition picture of a blue Saturn or Neptune. As far as I know we don't have any pictures of that quality of either planets. Really fucking neato.