the entirety of the literature section of the Wikipedia page for the 2000s

> the entirety of the literature section of the Wikipedia page for the 2000s

Mother of god

jesus christ, 2 items for a whole century? white people ought to just kill themselves

>Openly LGBT and Scot listed separately
Isn't that redundant?

Did Harry Potter really out-do the desert trilogy?

>Openly

>century

>Their page for the 2010s doesn't even have a literature section
>video gaming has a section but we don't

is it over lads? is this the end?

>a scot
All becomes clear
God have mercy on the children who study her.

We can't have reliable numbers for the desert trilogy.

>Wikipedia
>

Scot here. High school was wall-to-wall Carol Ann, as if there were literally no other Scottish poets we could study. I always assumed the Duffy-saturation was a national thing, just up here. Is it as bad down south(I'm assuming from your post you're an effete sassenach; correct me if I'm wrong)?

Boy I love call of duty

>I dont know how to use wikipedia

She gets a lot of study south of the border, I guess it's the intertextuality and the fact she's a woman, although if you want to up your scotgrump quotient we weren't even informed of her glorious nationality, I always assumed she was a Londoner. Both at GCSE and A level we were forced her nonsense, I can't remember quite how high the saturation was because she was so god awful that she cast a long shadow, but I think she was probably the single poet we read most. It's a travesty if you get even more in Scotland because it's not like you've got a dearth of decent writers. I mean honestly, give the children the obscene corpus of rabbi Burns and they'll probably grow up far better.
I'm at Glasgow so I'm on hardcore resentment road.

At Glasgow Uni? How is it? I'm headed there after the summer.

And the situation with Burns in the Scottish education system is really odd; he's a big deal in primary school (you have to memorize his poems etc.) but then he just seems to vanish in secondary education and we only seemed to study contemporary(ish) Scottish poets (like Duffy in the past, but more recently Edwin Morgan and Norman MacCaig, for which there are obvious political reasons, not that I'm particularly disapproving). It's really fucking strange since he's basically Scotland's most famous literary figure, like if we'd all only studied some shite modern plays in high school, instead of Shakespeare.

Nah, it's because Veeky Forums patricians don't spend their time editing shitty 'encyclopaedia' pages on the etherweb.

It's alright, it's probably better if you're scottish because you won't mind having 2 first years, if you're English it just feels like doing your A levels but without camaraderie. Really the level of rigour is disappointing but that is all universities (and it's the fault of the students), you just have to keep yourself keen until honours. You should actively seek out your lecturers because they'll happily give you tutorials on essays and whatnot and they like students who engage, but they will rarely encourage you to do it. What are you going to study?

Also they overcharge market rents by at least a third on most accomodation, but if you're in one of the big halls it's a good way to make friends.

Studying English Lit. and Film and Television Studies (RIP employment). Probably should have gone for Law or something, but it's too late now.

Thanks for the advice man. Appreciate it. Agree with your statements about rigour in universities by the way. I think nowadays there's a level of autodidacticism that's more or less mandatory if you want to get anything out of a degree (especially in the humanities).

You can take a conversion course if you want to go into Law. A few British lawyers I know did that.

Oh no, it's not something I really want to do. I was just making a little jab about the whole "no jobs for humanities students" thing. I did work experience in a law firm in fourth (or maybe third) year of high school and was bored stiff, so it's definitely not for me.

>British """"lawyers""""

Fuck me I hate Carol Ann Duffy
I study English in a French university and we had a semester-long course on her. It's so infuriating that among the myriad authors of Brit & American poetry we could have studied we had to study her of all people, especially as French students who obviously would benefit much more from the classics that we didn't have the chance to study in say, HS or middle school.

>muh diversity
I never realised before that the shilling was real

>The fact you have to go onto a separate page because they didnt consider it important enough to include on the main page isn't culturally significant

>muh diving for pearls
>that one poem about an onion

She really is the fucking worst. At least she's sealed her fate in terms of being remembered, by being such a sickening establishment darling. I've never met anyone who gave a positive assessment of her work.

Well, the teacher who gave us the course was obviously a fangirl, it was absolutely sickening.

It's a real shame because I was actually keen on learning something about poetry, a craft I must confess I have lot to learn about but they gave us this shit. Such a missed opportunity. Even entry-level stuff would have contented most of us, but certainly not vapid discussion about symbolism revolving around rubbish contemporary '''''progressive''''' poetry

hey, warming her pearls is some topnotch shit. most of her stuff isn't that great but that one's pretty unassailable. hate her for good reasons

I was referencing a line in that poem she did about Shakespeare's wife we all had to study in high school. I haven't read warming her pearls. How does it differ from her other stuff?