Woody allen

what's his most cringe literary reference in a movie?

wrong board OP

fuck you're annoying

the one where he fucked his daughter

muh sentimental education

you're cancer looking for ways to metastasize. you're the reason you didn't want to put this on /tv/ because your kind already latched on there.

the entirety of Midnight in Paris

That movie, in my opinion, was fucking retarded with alll those tryhard literary references

Idk but McLuhan in Annie Hal is his best, right?

Woody Allen uses literary references to show pseudointellectual posturing though.

E.g.

Elliot from Hannah and Her Sisters using ee cummings to start his juvenile affair

Mary in Manhattan making up bullshit about modern art having 'negative capability'

Half of his references are meant to be cringe because he always harpoons pretentiousness. Even Alvy Singer from Annie Hall seems intelligent but is the cause of his own suffering because he cant get over having Annie be 'simple'.

His best usage is Rilke's poetry in Another Woman, because Another Woman is an amazing film

Why does EVERYONE get hard over Rilke?
The last two books I read (Gravity's Rainbow and House of Leaves) both referenced him exhaustively. Someone PLEASE explain.

Read his poetry.

Crimes and Misdemeanors

Is that worthwhile in translation?

That + Another Woman, and Stardust Memories.

I read the Edward Snow translation and it flows quite well. I could still get poetic feelz from it.Dont know about the rest.

Figure it out for yourself. Don't expect others to give you the answers. Or just wallow in your apathy, up to you.

I hate the way he talked about Leibniz in Love and Death. Good movie though.

>le a dolt in the room miehme

Fuck off with this reddit "cringe" shit, Allen's fine despite being skirting in and out of the middlebrow line.

That's not what he asked retard

If Veeky Forums took the themes of Allen films to heart rather than meme shit like IJ - this board would be a waaay better place.

Interiors contains one of the most horrifyingly real portrayals of a "person who wants to express creativity but has no talent and feels resentful at everything" type of character. C&M also portrays a more realistic criminal than C&P.

underrated post

this, I can't believe I watched it, it was the most painful movie experience of my life

>portrays a more realistic criminal than C&P
such achievement

>Veeky Forums would be better if it talked about films

Given that contemporary lit has been in the dumps while the film industry has had the most intellectual works over the last few decades - i think that discussion is warranted

Not cringe though: "sex with you is a Kafkaesque experience."

That's my favorite quote from Manhattan. It's especially hilarious that it's said by Shelley Duvalle.

That quote is from Annie Hall, you utter pleb.

Meh it's pretty much the same thing

oh god yes

p a i n f u l

I thought I was the only one who got annoyed by that. His constant references to Freud got tiresome.

That film was great and comfy as fuck.

Person who wants to be creative and can't is one of the most overdone themes in all of literature. Read more.

I haven't seen that film, but if Allen can produce a better character than Raskolnikov or Dmitri then I'll happily raise my estimation of him.

I've only seen Annie Hall. I liked it. It made me want to watch some more Allen. I will admit the man's characters feel very real, but I'm giving it to Dostoevsky until I've seen more Allen.

Woody has a huge filmography, much of which is middling dreck, unfortunately. He has some real gems though. Crimes and Misdemeanors and Purple Rose of Cairo are probably my favorites.

Thank you. I'll start with those then