/nobel/ prize

The Nobel Prize laureates are going to be announced thus week. Who else is hyped?

Prizes that actually matter:

Medicine and Physiology
nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2016/

Chemistry:
nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2016/

Physics:
nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2016/

Other urls found in this thread:

improbable.com/ig/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

more interested in seeing what good old Terry T does by the end of the year than seeing some gay awards given out

I read the "Scientific Background", not the normie press release

I feel a winner for the discovery of epigenetics and its applications is somewhat overdue

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2016 was announced.

Yoshinori Ohsumi, Japanese.
His works is "for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy".
Congratulations!

Biology grad here and I know this stuff. Why are Nobels so latent?

Congrats from /a/. He won the prize alone, which is nice because he doesn't have to share the prize money.

I am Japanese

haahahahahaahaaa

We should get betting going on 'Jap or Jew' for each category.

Who cares, its just a stupid pat on the back, followed by a huge ceremony all over a fucking collectable coin

Follow the Fields Medal instead, thats the one that matters, instead of things done decades ago

Usually because other years have had also important discoveries that had priority, or because the theory has just only been well tested

>all over a fucking collectable coin
And a million dollars

Actually unlike Physics or Chemistry, often in Medicine you can get the Nobel prize fairly quickly (a decade or less since the discoveries). This time it is actually work from the late 90s. Once in a while you get something like this, and it;s mostly due to the long time it takes to confirm the importance of the discoveries beyond doubt and implement them in medicine, which can take decades. Just the development of a new drug based on the research takes 12-15 years.
As someone here also said, there's also other discoveries that had priory in former years. In this case it's a nice tie-in with the 2004 chemistry award.

>Last year
Neutrino oscillations

>Year before
A white LED

Why have the physics prizes been for such plebian shit recently?

physics progress has slowed dramatically

What is your standard for an important discovery? Because most other people seem to think that neutrino oscillations are a pretty big thing.

If it's any consolation, the next one has got to be gravitational waves.

How come they don't have a prize for engineering? It requires more talent and ingenuity than medicine or physics.

Its not really a field that lends itself to innovative *discoveries*, which is what the nobel prize is about. A great engineer might achieve some brilliant feat, but the actual innovation in said feat will always be a mathematical or physics-based one.

Engineering is an applied science.

What scientific discovery has advanced the field of engineering? How many engineers even partake in engineering scientific research that's not physics?

And in the case of the peace prize, you can get it BEFORE doing anything.

It was a blue LED, and if you knew anything you'd know the physics they discovered in order to make it was actually quite interesting.

>he thinks that the Nobel prize is actually fit for rewarding modern science
Oh my sweet summer child. Collaborations don't get any science Nobel prizes. In fact, the very rules of the Nobel committee are badly antiquated. These rule are a leftover from the time the Nobel was created, when single-man discoveries were what drove science, and large international collaborations (i.e. the drivers of modern science) such as CERN or LIGO inexistent.

The Nobel is really bullshit as far as modern physics is concerned

That can't be true, the prizes have generally been awarded to 3 people in the last years, which means collaborations can ge prizes. Additionally, large international collaborations should also be a possibility, since the Red Cross for instance has received several awards.

The peace prizes allows for it, but not the scientific prizes. CERN didn't get one after the scalar boson discovery (even if there was one "free slot" besides Englert and Higgs), LIGO won't get one for the gravitational wave discovery, ITER won't get one either after achieved ignition in a tokamak. They don't symbolically reward the director of the institution either.

Amending the Nobel rules to better reflect the realities of nowadays research has always been very controversial (read: they won't do it).

>the next one has got to be gravitational waves
the BICEP experiment? I thought the results have been ruled out

LIGO, you fucking dildo.

Fuck you. I worked for SNO+, neutrinos are much cooler than your precious ooga booga gravity waves and G*d particles

There is the Queen Elizabeth prize in bong land. It would be nice if there was a global commitee one though.

And the Nobel Prize in Physics for 2016 goes to von Neumann for his discovery of magnetic fields. Well done John!

this is b8, I'm watching the live stream

post yfw when the committee once again overlooked John von Neumann for his discovery of magnetic fields.

Nobel Prize in Physics has been announced!
Awarded to David Thouless (1/2), F. Duncan Haldane (1/4), and J. Michael Kosterlitz "for theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter"

he's dead

> my face when that happened

I'm glad those arrogant LIGO faggots didn't get it for their glorified interferometer.

Fields medal : have to be under 40 years old
Nobel prize : practically have to be over 70 years old

IgNobel Prize is much more interesting.
improbable.com/ig/

Will Chemistry get a proper prize this year or is it gonna be computational stuff again?