Hey Veeky Forums a question that I was wondering about the other day

Hey Veeky Forums a question that I was wondering about the other day.

There are many examples of monogamous animals in nature. It has been observed that many of these animals forego their chosen partner in the case of infertility (of one or the other). I suppose it makes sense for such a behavior to develop, which is why I imagine it must also exist in humans?

Hence, assuming the mating pattern of humans is monogamous, wouldn't it make sense that repeated sexual intercourse with the same partner without pregnancy result in a response that encourages the person to seek other partners?

Other urls found in this thread:

news.softpedia.com/news/The-Myth-of-Monogamous-Swans-25965.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>There are many examples of monogamous animals in nature.

Only the ones that die right after mating. Monogamy is a human construct. Humans have never been monogamous and the shape of the penis and the vagina support this.

>Humans have never been monogamous
My view is that humans are largely monogamous with a little bit of adultery. I don't understand what you mean by "monogamy is a human construct".
>the shape of the penis and the vagina support this
how come?

The penis is made so it will remove the semen. It creates a suction when pulling back out. Repetition clears the vagina of someone else's semen. The semen itself creates a "soft plug" to help prevent this from happening and to help prevent someone else's semen from getting around it.

The reason is because humans sleep around a lot and tended to have orgies.

>The reason is because humans sleep around a lot and tended to have orgies
Ok that could be an explanation. But in modern times humans have established a monogamous society, so I still don't understand the
>Humans have never been monogamous
comment

Monogamy is practiced by an enormous majority of all humans on the planet. It's ridiculous to consider it not in some way part of our biology.

Humans are flexible. Serial polygamy was less rare in ancient times, and there are a fair number of societies where polygyny is considered OK. There are even polyandrous societies. Near-monogamy seems to be the norm, but I don't think it's as hard-nosed for humans as it is for 'true-monogamy' species like swans.

That is not convincing at all. I think it's fair to say that humans are mainly monogamous with few outliers that have little meaning overall.

Genetic studies indicate otherwise. Effective population size 8000 years ago was much smaller compared to actual population size, indicating each man who managed to reproduce had multiple partners.
Effective population size = [(4*{#male+#female})/(#male*#female)]

That is hardly evidence for polygamy.

It's evidence for serial polygamy, which falls under the biological definition of polygamy.

>humans have established a monogamous society,

LOL wow, kid, you must be so naive. No one is monogamous. They just say they are to feel better about themselves. Everyone sleeps around. Even your girlfriend. People who don't sleep around are permavirgins.

It isn't and humans will never be monogamous. That's extremely sheltered thinking.

>People who don't sleep around are permavirgins.
t. virgin

>According to a survey of adults aged 20 to 59, women have an average of four sex partners during their lifetime; men have an average of seven. Two-thirds of women who had their first baby between 2001 and 2003 worked during their pregnancy, and 80 percent of those women worked within one month or less of giving birth.

Doesn't sound monogamous at fucking all. Monogamy means you fuck only 1 person from the beginning to end of your life. Fucking ignorant retards.

Got triggered, kid?

DON'T CALL ME "KID" YOU FAT PEACE OF SHIT! I'VE BEEN 18 FOR TWO MONTHS AND HAVE HAD A GIRLFRIEND FOR 6 MONTHS IN A LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP!!!

Humans might have a monogamous lean, but if we were truly monogamous we would likely not have so much sexual dimorphism. I mean we're clearly not elephant seal tier, but we're not like swans, who are virtually indistinguishable and will not seek out a new mate if their first one die.

>Girlfriend for six months
>long distance relationship

Does she send you cucking photos with her black "friends".

>will not seek out a new mate if their first one die.

Not true.

news.softpedia.com/news/The-Myth-of-Monogamous-Swans-25965.shtml

This post has it correct. Only animals that die right after mating are monogamous. Meaning the males die and it isn't the species that is monogamous, it is just that individual. I.E. it is a joke.

I defined "monogamous" as one partner at a time. Serial polygamy is obvious with humans and not worth discussing.

Humans are not monogamous though.

Whatever you say, kid