Is Veeky Forums mad that China has built the world's largest radio telescope and no other project will surpass it for...

Is Veeky Forums mad that China has built the world's largest radio telescope and no other project will surpass it for at least the next 30 years?

What does Veeky Forums think about this new radio telescope?

Serious question.

is there an advantage to building a giant ass disk instead of using interferometry?

is this for contacting ET?

Sensitivity to low-power signals. An interferometer may have higher resolution, but it has a much smaller total collecting area. I believe the term is the "thinned-array curse"

Does anyone else think the hostility towards China's development is pointless and gay.

what pisses me off millions time more than this is that the pace of large scale projects is so slow that we know no other project will surpass it for 30 years

fucking paperwork

If SKA2 is funded it will surpass it. FAST opens up some great work for the Chinese community but it probably won't change astronomy.

Yes

Kill yourself traitor. I bet you are voting for Hillary

Why would we be mad for someone trying to advance something in some way?

This would be like asking if Veeky Forums is butthurt that the Soviet Union just put a Space Station in LOE in the 1970's.

Veeky Forums isn't /pol/, we should try to be as impartial as possible when talking about this kind of stuff. Like is North Korea started launching sun probes that found an extremely accurate way to predict sunspots and solar flares then that's fantastic and a huge achievement.

>what are american interests

Oh look. Yet another shitskin enabler.

Your time is coming.

It's not largest, Russia has the largest
But it's world largest telescope with active surface that can automatically compensate for different conditions like heat or pressure for precise measurements

>and no other project will surpass it for at least the next 30 years?

Arguably the Hubble Telescope beat it before it was even conceived. There's plenty of ongoing projects in the US and Europe (ie, CERN, ITER, SuperDARN, etc) that surpass it in terms of scientific value. Also America technically has a larger radio telescope up in Alaska, but only the Navy is allowed to use it for emergency communications.

The original Arecibo Observatory was a big deal as nothing like it had been done before; China just copied it and made it bigger. Yes, theirs is more effective but it's also 2016 and not 1965.

what development? The CCP is just as incompetent and corrupt as it always has been.

What is to stop them from making an array of these massive things?

Also why would anyone be mad about someone investing into a project that'll generate the data available to the whole world?

It's like you being mad about your classmate mother buying a car to lift you and her son to school (providing a better reference for your IQ levels).

I just want to see us put an optical telescope in LEO with that big of a lens, preferably one that can also handle Raman spectroscopy as well. That'll learn ya faggots how to take pictures of space.

Btw, ITER is a nice money sink meme.
Talked to a girl in my uni who does plasma physics. She said that this project is already considered a failure because there're no such materials that'll withstand radioactive contamination over reasonable amount of time. Basically they can't even build a chamber they won't have to replace every now and then.

Now the project became too big to fall but still that doesn't mean ITER isn't yet another F35

The F-35 program yielded a marketable product (in a similar fashion to the V-22 program), ITER thus far has not.

>American interests
>>Chinese looking at stars n shit
>>hurr this is a clear affront to our scientific superiority

Kill yourself, fucking mongoloid.

ITER wasn't intended to yield a product, but a good experimental ground like LHC did, for example. But it won't deliver

As a Puertorrican, yes, it makes me mad. The Arecibo radiotelescope being the biggest in the world was a big deal for me. I even worked there during summer once. Fuck the chinese.

>there're no such materials that'll withstand radioactive contamination over reasonable amount of time. Basically they can't even build a chamber they won't have to replace every now and then.
I though replacing the reactor lining was considered to just be part of the cost of maintaining a fusion reactor. How does it doom the project?

LHC was intended to produce a lot of very expensive antimatter to sell, though.

get out of here Aus fag.

Money as well as pointlessness

So the whole dish looks pretty shiny, what stops the dish from turning those expensive radio receivers into slag from focusing solar radiation?

It might have gotten funding because it can be used for military purposes.

The landscape you idiot.

It's not really the largest one. The largest one is probably LOFAR, which is also much more interesting. Stuff like SKA is worth looking forward to, this giant radio thing isn't that interesting, but whatever, I hope it generates some nice science.

t. chink filth

Well they are communists.

>America's interest is to keep under countries from accomplishing anything

>It's not largest, Russia has the largest
RATAN-600 isn't filled aperture. If you could diffuse apertures it's not the largest either.

No

>The landscape you idiot.

Oh you mean that landscape they completely formed to their own needs?

It is already pointless and a complete waste of money and resources. What is to stop them from making more? Certainly not those points.

Technically the China one is diffused since it uses a screen, it isn't solid.

No, I mean the landscape that is a natural hollow. Unless there is another one similarly appropriate nearby, you won't be able to build an array from these things.

Have you seen that location? Also, see those rocky areas? That's what is left of the hills they removed.

>mad that China has built the world's largest radio telescope
no
>no other project will surpass it for at least the next 30 years
yes.

If FAST isn't the world's largest radio telescope, what is?

FAST is neither the physically largest nor effectivly largest.
RATAN-600 is the largest in both those catagories iirc
Being ~570m physically and 600m effectively.

FAST is only 500m physically and 300m effectively.

>RATAN-600

But that is barely anything at all. Just a thin ring with a focal point. That's like comparing a bicycle tire to a truck tire.

You asked for "large".
Not to go full autist but, most sensitive and scan speed are completely different.

Are you making this shit up or what? I can find no evidence of that. Most of that is natural.

Are you are fucking retard, kid? Yes you are. They had to mine the entire place out. It isn't natural at all. It's been regrowing with vegetation for fucking years now.

I love it when children post on Veeky Forums and get rekt hard. It makes me want to dance.

Most of that is natural though, you retard. If you really believe the whole depression has been mined out, then you should maybe read the proposal.

Tell me more about this webm

Most are found in in the dance threads. Here's the latest:

You can see where they used explosives to carve out huge sections of the rocks. The depression wasn't there before they started. They basically made a big pond, but added in a drain system to keep it from filling up. There was literally 3 hill ridges running right through that area. But, crazy thing is, humans are able to blow shit up and move it away.

Seems like you are a tard though, so it doesn't really matter. Next thing we know you'll be saying UFOs made it.

Well you are simply wrong. Provide a source or go fuck yourself.

>mfw america will become second power pretty soon
>fucking chinks will be the ones that will take them down
P O E T R Y

RATAN isn't 600 meters effective. Effective area diameter is the equivalent diameter collecting area.

It's called "cutting shapes", they dance it with future house music

That's a good battlefield map

No it wasn't.