Common Core

When will we remove this atrocity from academics?
Who is to blame for creating this stupid system that restricts proper thinking?

Other urls found in this thread:

freedomoutpost.com/common-core-co-author-admits-wrote-curriculum-end-white-privilege/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ThizThis can't be real...

In my country teachers study at the same universities as regular masters (I'm in the last few months of physics). You kind of get an impression of what the average teacher is capable of and holy shit it's embarrassing. The problem I think really is that nobody gives a shit about teaching any longer. It's poorly paid, features no authority any longer and nobody respects it. As a consequence the people who go for it are usually the people who simply don't know what else to do. And that's exactly the impression you get from those people. They are just fucking idiots. They don't know what they are doing and they really don't give a shit. It doesn't even help that their whole schedule is dumbed down as hell, they suck at it anyway. I really wonder what those people could know about education, especially about good education for good students.

Common core is the proof that it's apparently not much.

People who want to confuse the populace and keep them ignorant and stupid. People who can't think for themselves are easier targets for consumerism.

>Then add 3

Dumb weeaboo fuck off

It doesn't say show how 8+5=10 because that would indeed be absurd and worthy of criticism. It does say show how WHEN adding 8+5 how to make 10. The emphasis behind common core is to teach certain algorithms of thought to less intelligent students who may not naturally form them like their more intelligent counterparts.

The problem is that we do not teach set theory to children and therefore they can't do mathematics.

Before our modern times, mathematics was built on intuition by comparable idiots like Euclid and Newton. I call them idiots because even though they were right, their theory did not use set theory which makes it wrong.

What does this mean for children? That ONLY those with natural mathematics intuition can succeed in mathematics. This is why we see such a huge divide between children, even at a young age. Some just seem to get it and some just seem to be retarded.

And this is all true, but in the 21st century we have overcome that. Sure, not everyone could have invented calculus like Newton did, but today. TODAY. With Set Theory? Even a retard could build calculus from the bottom.

Set Theory is the final and most powerful tool of mathematics. It is the one that allows us to see beyond our universe.

Teach 5 year olds set theory in really informal ways. Tell them that a set is a box and that box has objects. Then teach them counting in relation to the cardinality of a set.

If you have a box with 5 distinct objects then you can use that box to identify the counting number 5.

Teach them addition and everything as operations on boxes (not in the traditional way, something without apparent axioms and logic so that even a child can get it) and then let them run wild.

Within a year, news would come out that a 10 year old solved the Riemann Hypothesis and that he claims it was too easy and therefore declined the million dollars.

The major problem people have with common core is that it is teaching children the shortcuts of math before they understand it. As weel, they are learning to do math they should learn to do in their head, on paper. When you do it on paper, its absurdly disorganized and requires a lot of hoops to jump through to reach a conclusion.

8+5=13

No it
5 - 3 = 2
2 + 8 = 10
10 + 3 = 13

Can you see why adding 4+ digit numbers becomes a book keeping game instead of doing real math?

what are the advantages of teaching kids that way?

None

anyone who doesn't understand why common core method of teaching mathematics is fundamentally good is a mathlet

>hating anime on Veeky Forums
>on Veeky Forums
>Veeky Forums

to make your kids retarded

This is satire, right?

Confuse the smart kids so they don't surpass the retards.

Common core is not a rigorous set of guidelines and exercises. It is a very broad set of teaching guidelines given to teachers.

All the "wtf common core" stuff you see is a result of idiot teachers, not common core.

It actually makes a lot of sense.

8+5=8+(2+3)=(8+2)+3=10+3=13

It's how I add in my head on the fly.

that's the same argument you'd use against writing down thoughts to teach ideas to people.
common core is emphasizing new methods for doing math that people with old style educations might be unfamiliar with.
this is just the method being written down, and the questions are asking children to repeat what they've learned. If you're going to take issue with something, take issue with that method of teaching.

> brainlet parents hate math
>whined about it being nothing but memorizing arcane formulas
>new system comes along promoting understanding and derivations
>this isn't the way I learned it so I don't like it.

Close, but replace smart with white and retard with black.

freedomoutpost.com/common-core-co-author-admits-wrote-curriculum-end-white-privilege/

Bill Gates

You need to calculate 8+5 in your head?

Its because this is how people do maths in their heads anyway, so by teaching the steps directly it makes it easier for people who arent naturally inclined to maths to be functional with numbers

No, but it's illustrative of the method. When doing slightly more annoying stuff like

276+188

It's a bit easier to instead do

280+184

>280+184
>not 400+64

what about 464+0? holly shit, why didn't i think of this method before, it really is easier

Everybody uses this algorithm for mental addition. It pisses me off when people act like this is some abstruse shit just because they're too stupid to figure out childrens' math
>MAN IM TAKING CALCULUS SO HARRRD I SUCH A NERD XD

>teach certain algorithms of thought to less intelligent students who may not naturally form them like their more intelligent counterparts
Lowest common denominator. Still the low-potentials of first grade are not necessarily the low-potentials of high school and later life, and if you're going to explicitly teach how to think at the expense of everyone that already can, first grade is certainly the place to do it.

What in the fuck is that shit? It makes absolutely no sense.

To be honest, they're asking the wrong questions. I don't hate the Common Core standards, having read them, but they're not testing them correctly. The teachers should just teach students different strategies to add up numbers and then test them like they normally do, maybe sometimes asking them to explain their process.

Sometimes I suspect certain teachers specifically make these tests to try proving Common Core is bad. Nobody wants to blame the shitty teachers even though education is still terrible in states who haven't adopted Common Core.

The purpose of state education is to make politicians look good to voters. Common core was created because one group wanted to get paid to implement it and other groups didn't want to look bad by interfering.

Politicians are never going to change so all things considered it is our fault.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I think it all began the moment it became taboo to support "boring" subjects like math over fun subjects like art or other activities. Only when standards have declined to extremes do people ignore attempts to tug on their heart strings.

This. The way everything is explained to children is terrible. I don't understand why doesn't anyone try to change it.

8/8

>replace

>With Set Theory? Even a retard could build calculus from the bottom.

I use SQL all the time for work and don't see how calculus would follow from set theory. I believe you're right, but can you explain how that works? I understand basic single variable calculus and even a little bit of partial derivatives (you need them for some optimization problems I use at work), but don't see the connection between any of that and set theory. I'm imagining it would be helpful to know what that connection is.

Not him but rigorous calculus is based on Real Analysis, which heavily relies on set theory.

I believe you, but how? Like starting from sets, how do you get to derivative and integral functions?

The axioms of set theory immediately imply a set that "looks like" the natural numbers using the sucessor function, which you can then use to implicitly define addition, which you can then use to implicitly define multiplication, which you can then use to implicitly define exponents and so on.

So you immediately have a theory of natural numbers.

If you know foundations then you know that the existence of natural numbers immediately allow for the construction of integers as equivalence classes of pairs of natural numbers, and then rational numbers as equivalence classes of pairs of rational numbers and then real numbers as 'cuts' between rational numbers.

Now you have a theory of real numbers and then all you have to do is start studying their properties. Closeness, connectedness, etc.

Also, functions are just sets so with set theory you immediately have a theory of functions.

From there you can jump anywhere, no intuition required.

Welp, time to start homeschooling. Any good textbooks I should use?

This is what happen when the unions fill up a profession with 90% retards (most of whom are women) and make it impossible to remove said retards

Tell me, who is going to teach children BUT retards?

We need AI assisted classes so that teachers have less responsibilities and therefore less chances to fuck up children.

>set theory
People actually take Russel seriously?

Correct

Competent retards. And the most retarded students need the least retarded teachers.

You're clueless

>this is what freshmen actually belive

If your local high school offers a AB/BC calc, and the average scors arent shit, their math curriculum is fine.

As a Eurofag, I've never quite understood this common core thing. It states, plain as day, how to get 10 out of 8+5. Unless this thing is wildly out of context and not really a maths test, as much as it is a test of understanding the rules of this common core BS or whatever... then that's just plain wrong. "(8+2)=10, then add 3" is not 10, it's 13.

The method of handling subsets of data separately to make handling bigger numbers easier is a-ok. But that question there is just fucking bad English, where the grammatically correct interpretation literally is "you fucking can't".

But then, for a country that embraces feet, nails, elbows and whatever in the year 2016 as valid measurement units... what should you expect really?

The question is poorly worded. It's asking how do you get 10 from 8+5, i.e. 13? Obviously you subtract 3.

Starting from sets you get neighborhoods. From this you get open and closed sets. Set a metric and you have metric spaces with properties. Get a complete metric space and you can use sequences without doing stupid shit. From sequences you get limits and you already know the rest.

Are you an engineering major by any chance? Not trying to offend you, I just don't see how someone who's taking an elementary set theory course can't figure this out.

decomposition of numbers is huge in higher level math at least

There are no advantages because they have to show their work, so teaching kids to do it in their heads is counter intuitive.

The method of teaching is common core and i have raised the issue.