Rhetoric

I have mastered the art of rhetoric; I can convince you of anything in mere seconds.

What do you want me to convince you of Veeky Forums?

Convince me that women and nonwhites are not morally, spiritually, and ethically inferior to the white man

convince me that im not gay

convince me that Leonardo dicaprio's best movie is not Titanic

Convince me that the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini is a good book series.

convince me that my life will stop being shit

convince me that the girl i'm in love with will ask to see me this weekend :)

convince me that you are a master of the art of rhetoric

Convince me to post in your bait thread.

Oh shit.

Not feeling very convinced.

Convince me that being has intrinsic value.

Convince me of anything you just said. This is surely bait.

ethics and morals are both myth though. spirituality is another thing

That is a backwards mentality, and a disgusting one! Your view that the white male is superior to women and non-whites is not only misogynistic and racist, but also a dangerous idea. Ideas like these gave birth to slavery and the Holocaust. You should be ashamed of yourself for thinking like this, and should reconsider your view. We are all equal in the eyes of God, since he created all of us in his image. The average black man is as capable as the average white man, and the average woman is as capable as the average man. The average white man has as much flaws as any human race or sex on the face of this planet. Why? Because he's as human as any of the other races and sexes! We're all EQUAL.

Convince me that you can't convince me of anything.

Homosexuality is a lie imposed by governments and other people seeking power. You have to ask yourself, if homosexuality is real then why are they very few? Surely, if it's real, it should be as normal and wide spread as heterosexuality. This just shows that not everyone is committed to act gay and make the idea seem plausible, that's why they're so few. The norm is heterosexuality and if you think you're gay (which you're not), you should seek a therapist. Its not supported by any respected scientific research in any shape or form. It's frowned upon by God, and by sane people. Be good, user, stop this degenerate idea from taking hold of your mind. However, I'm sure you're a good, moral man, and your question was only to challenge me.

Have faith, man. The purpose of love is to unite two beautiful souls together and not separate them. Surely, you will meet her because love exists between you two. Have fun with her this weekend, and smile more. :)

I have had a natural ability, since childhood, to persuade and convince people. I've read Aristotle's book The Art of Rhetoric and it seemed to me that a lot of what he said was deeply rooted in me. Everyone says that I am great at rhetoric. I remember when I was at school, I was always the one to speak to my superiors to convince them about something our class wanted. My friends and family are always impressed when they talk to me. I have changed lots of minds by using my great rhetoric. Debates are easy since I always convince the other side of my premises and conclusions with few words. I talk when necessary and refrain from talking if necessary. I know how to use words very effectively to alter people's position on a subject. I hope you learn from me!

Sure thing. If God eat a burrito that was so spicy that he couldn't eat it, he wouldn't be God. But the burrito wouldn't have been so spicy that God couldn't eat it. Therefore, he had to be God one moment but not the next in order to ingest the spicy burrito. Jesus was just God having a taste-test.

0/10, i'm still redpilled

I don't call that the red pill, I call it the blue pill. Open your eyes and take the red pill. The true red pill is seeing people as they really are without any bias. The true red pill is acknowledging that we are all equal as humans. The people who abolished slavery were red pilled, for they realized the real truth: all humans are equal to one another, no race is superior or inferior than the other. Take the red pill, your blue pill is a delusion.

Convince me that your favorite author is the greatest of all time

Convince me that I shouldn't break up woth my girlfriend solely because she's slightly chubby and I increasingly want to fuck men.

I want you to convince everybody here that you aren't a hardcore loli fan.

Convince me to write more.

Convince me why i shouldn't kill myself because i am lonely

It's Romeo + Juliet, everybody knows that shit

This is the first time someone has accused me of such thing, and it's coming from someone who doesn't know me at all. I'm going to stick with the people who know me, and quite frankly, they've never accused me of such thing.

Go on...

Convince me that I will acheive some level of dignity in my life.

Yeah have to agree 0/10

but you're not denying the charges...

The only thing I'm convinced is that this is better than a post rare dfw's thread

Do you think you'll become a great writer by not writing? Exactly, no. Writing is a great way to express yourself, and the more you do it, the better you become at it. I'm sure you're great at writing already, but writing more will make you greater. All great writers wrote a lot to perfect their writing, and you should follow their lead.

You're not completely talentless, I suppose, but
You can't really believe that everyone's equal. So you'd say you are equal to an abusive father? A rapist? A murderer? Hitler is equal to Ghandi? Are you drunk again Slavoj?
I think you confuse it with how people should be treated in front of the law.
Why construct your case on an idea that doesn't hold to the slightest scrutiny? That's bad rhetoric and makes you look like an idiot.

We are all equal, but some are more equal than others.

OP has failed me with silence

>studying rhetoric
gross

>Convince me that your favorite author is the greatest of all time

I don't have a favorite author.

>Convince me that I shouldn't break up woth my girlfriend solely because she's slightly chubby and I increasingly want to fuck men.

Breaking up with a beautiful soul like her for just being a little chubby is absurd. You can always encourage her to lose that little weight, and hopefully, the love between you two will last for eternity. No one is perfect, not even you, and obviously not her. And best way to deal with this fact is to help that person to become better. I'm positive that you two have the potential to make great a couple!

And as I explained, being a homosexual is literally impossible, unnatural and degenerate, which makes me conclude that you just posted it for fun. Good try!

We are not all equally good, but equal nonetheless. In the eyes of God, we're all created equal. We're all intrinsically equal by default, however what we do affects our goodness. What we do affects our morality, and in turn could affect our humanity. And we should be treated equally before the law, fairly and justly.

Nice try attacking a straw man, and taking the phrase out of context. Not sure if your question is genuine or just to belittle me. Try again!

u suck at rhetoric

I'm sure you were convinced and persuaded to a high degree, but of course, you'd never admit it me or yourself. It's not like I wasn't expecting this kind of response anyway.

Throwing platitudes at people isn't going to convince them

Nobody gives a fuck if you say they're great or if they have a beautiful soul, you need to learn how to actually form an argument

Not convincing. At this point, you thoroughly destroyed the meaning of equality and made it some lofty "good thing everyone has" without implication. If our humanity or goodness can be compromised as you just put it, how is it not perfectly reasonable to treat people according to this. In fact, it's so normal and reasonable, it's exactly what the world does. Your argument was supposed to be about what does or does not compromise this goodness. But you chose to claim there was no such thing because we are created equal. And now you turned 180°. See what I meant by looking like an idiot? Now no one can take you seriously anymore and even your valid points will be disregarded.

I find it funny though how you feel personally attacked by my criticism of your rhetoric. It wasn't meant to be condescending. You can't be this thin skinned if you want to convince people. If what you said earlier is true and people irl actually bite, then you must be more of an orator than a rethor.
Again, don't take this as an insult, it's not even a bad thing.

But back to the original point, I just reread the thread and must apologize. You are right, I was putting your phrase out of context before, even if inadvertedly. The core of your argument was not that we are equal, but that God made us so. Unfortunately this even worse rhetoric. It's a very shaky, highly controversial position you absolutely don't want to put yourself into unnecessarily. Especially if you don't know your audience. Even if you deeply believe it yourself.

You sound like someone who's frustrated from failing to persuade people. Here's a tip: speak to people's emotions, not their reason.

Great points! I'm glad I was able to convince you, and that we're on the same page right now.

In all honesty, OP is pretty good at this. He's more consistantly eloquent than the average faggot on here (at least in a rustic kinda way).

Interested to hear what OP has to say anout Trump. Why shouldn't I vote for him?

For real?

Step 1. Negate and/or shame the opposite position
Step 2. State and if possible elevate the desired position
Step 3. Always end with something nice

>Tell me why I shouldn't kill my cheating bitch gf
>That is a despicable Idea, truly outrageous! To be cheated on can feel crushing, but to end someones life over it is a horrible crime and is illegal in all cultivated countries. The people who outlawed it have realized that it is plain wrong, because life has intrinsic value. You should talk to her and try working something out. Have you tried seeing it from her perspective? I know this sounds hard, but it's the right thing to do. I believe in you. You can do it. I sincerely wish you and your girlfriend the best.

Not bad. Maybe you do have talent afterall.

he's in love with her, he didn't say she's in love with him

You're basically just saying the opposite and adding ", beautiful :)"

That's like how a middle schooler tries to convince people

"Convince me to lose weight." "You should lose weight because you're great :)" isn't rhetoric, it's retarded bleating

Trump's triumph over the dropped out Republican candidates shows his great ability to manage his campaign, and most importantly, to manage people. He is, like me, a great rhetorician and orator. His words are vague, yet full of hope and promises. His words are simple and repetitive, yet powerful and impactful, helping him embed his ideas in the mind of people easily and simply. The speeches he delivers are grandiose and lacks all humility, which makes him bigger and tougher than he really is. In public speeches and public debates, his main aim is to dominate over the other candidates and entertain the masses, and he does that exceptionally well. He knows that the moment he becomes boring, people will cease to be interested in him, and that's why he's always outrageous, unpredictable, and constantly changing. He's also a great actor, and his persona resonates with people to the point that they love imitating him. People love to be entertained, and he himself loves to entertain.

I think that Trump is a good, genuine man, even if his rhetoric doesn't indicate so, even if he excites the masses to the point that they're violent. He just knows how to play, and if he isn't elected, his followers will be sure to start a revolution.

However, I'm sure you already agree with all of what I said.

If you're asking the question in that manner, then it's already clear that you support him, and nothing I say would convince you of the opposite. He has already convinced you, that's how good he is. Trying to get you to not vote for Trump would be impossible through words alone, and that's because Trump has already shown you more than I ever could. Demonstration is more powerful than argument, and Trump has already demonstrated that he's an bold leader.

>"Convince me to lose weight." "You should lose weight because you're great :)" isn't rhetoric, it's retarded bleating

Of course that's no more than retarded bleating, it's coming from you, and it's poorly delivered. Learn from me.

I'm also decent at rhetoric. Convince me that rhetoric is an acceptable substitution for actual logic when you're trying to convince someone who doesn't care what you think of them.

Lol I'm voting for Stein for the green party lulz. But like I get what you're doing (just laying a v weak argument behind relatable, "muh truistic" platitudes) but it doesn't actually work upon closer analysis. Disguising weak arguments in conversational prose is cheap rhetoric taught in AP Lang, not Aristotle famalama.

>thinking chastising somebody will gain their favour

you truly are a pleb

but user, lying is not rhetoric. it's just lying.

>He is, like me, a great rhetorician and orator.

i needed that laugh. thanks.

I want you to convince everybody here that you are a hardcore loli fan.

Convince me a contradiction is true

You can't since they are untrue by definition, and hence your initial proposition is moot. Checkmate

no bill the butcher/10

It's obvious to the average rhetorician that human beings are not the paragons of reason. Much of our judgements and decisions are based on emotion, intuition, bias, etc.

Marketers don't target customers with rational reasons to buy their products, but by using phrases and images that appeal more to emotions. It just sells. We are more visceral than cerebral.

If you try using logic all the time to persuade people, then you're bound to offend some, and lose some people who can't keep up with your logical argument. On the other hand, if you're charming and cunning, you'll have a much easier time making even the most illogical argument seem plausible. It's an observable fact that people are more persuaded by rhetoric than logic, and that's due to the fact that we lean more towards emotions and biases.

An example from literature would be Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. After Caesar's death, both Brutus and Mark Antony gave their speeches. Brutus leaned more on reason, and tried to give the crowd logical reasons for why Caesar had to be assassinated. It seemed to have an effect on the crowd, making them agree slightly. However, when Mark Antony took the stage, he began by heavily leaning on the crowd's emotions, and stirring their emotions until eventually causing a riot to avenge Caesar. Very powerful!

basketball diaries tho

That's true, I haven't denied the charges. I'm just really good at hiding and keeping it a secret from my family and friends. Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong about being a loli fan, just like there is nothing wrong with having a foot fetish. It's a completely normal fetish to have, and as long as I'm not hurting anyone by fantasising about them, then it's not anyone's business to suggest I should stop or be ashamed of it.

Awful.

No one uses logic this is why logical fallacies exist. When debates become irrational the opposition is going to care about looking good over his reasoning. Read Schopenhauer's the Art of being Right for more information.

you don't think that fostering a fetish derived from explicity antisocial behavior could be damaging to your own mental health?

excellent!

how do i become a master of rhetoric sensei?

>Ideas like these gave birth to slavery
Except for the fact that niggers enslaved their own kinds before we showed up, and the slave trade started with them selling us their slaves.

Hows it feel to be 16 and know nothing about the world before you?

that you can convince me of anything

that life has meaning

that you're not a faggot

Oh yeah? What does epizeuxis mean? DO NOT look it up. If you look it up, I will KNOW.

I agree that OP is a master of rhetoric. OP, please accept me as a student, teach me.

OP teach me. my email is [email protected].

Convince me why I shouldn't vote for Donald Trump in November.

Convince me that gender is a social construct

I'm very humbled by you all.

The art of rhetoric is a vast art, and mastering this art would give you an upper hand when communicating with other human beings. To be able to bend people to your will, is one of the greatest forms of power. However, I cannot teach you all about the art here, for it would be a tedious process, but I'll outline the basic skills you need to have.

First, the purpose of rhetoric is to persuade effectively, even if it means using logical fallacies as means to persuade. Understand that the majority of the population are repelled by hard, cold logic and are more attracted to spectacular speeches, even if it's wholly illogical. In fact, if you only use logic without any charm, you'll be seen as autistic. Emotions trump logic, therefore appeal to emotions.

Second, you have to know that it's necessary to have a deep, visceral understanding of the language you wish to persuade with. You have to be fluent and eloquent, sharp and witty, simple and to the point.

Third, in order to persuade effectively you have to be charming and bold. Lack the charm, and you'll repel the people. Lack the boldness, and you'll not be trusted by the people.

Fourth, understand the human character whom you wish to persuade. Everyone is different, therefore you have to tailor your rhetoric to their liking. It's generally easier to persuade the masses rather than the individual.

As you can see, I can go on and on, and more in detail, but it would take a long time and dedication.

itt: rhetoric is lazy lying, and basically, fuck the sophists

Convince me to take drugs

>As you can see, I can go on and on, and more in detail, but it would take a long time and dedication.
just give books duder

Don't take drugs!

This would be embarrassing for you, I'm fluent in rhetoric.

read again

that daddy really does love me even though he left for smokes when i was 6

Somewhere, in your father's heart, he regrets leaving you. He knows what he's done is wrong, and I bet that he wishes that he could reverse time and stay with you. However, in all honesty, and I have to say it, your father might not be coming back. He might have lost his mind to smoking, or died, but I'm sure that, wherever he is right now, he's thinking about you and what he could've done to make your life better than his ever was.

I know this is old, but the topest of keks for this reply, mate

>wanting to master rhetoric
>being a sophist
wew lad

after this pic who wouldnt be desu

>eloquent
>using a thesaurus
you could swear that Veeky Forums wouldn't know the difference

>>few words

This.
I have to add though that excelling at rhetoric doesn't come from reading, but from experimenting in real life. The more you experiment, the more you're going to understand, and the better you're going to get at rhetoric. Debating people is good way to improve your rhetoric and persuasion skills.