How many people here can actually read a passage in Classical Latin or Attic Greek without struggling too much?

How many people here can actually read a passage in Classical Latin or Attic Greek without struggling too much?

I could read Latin decently when I was in school. Doubt I could do it now, I just go the easy way and look for the translated text. I still like the sound of it though, especially in poems, Ovid's for example

A few, but they don't post much because the board's quality is shit. The one's who meme about reading only in an original language are autistic, illiterate, numbskulls, who only speak one language, and need not be taken seriously.

ea mihi futuenda est

I can read Attic Greek without much of an issue, I studied it extensively at uni.

My Latin is way worse though.

sup. not doing your homework for you if that's the point of the thread

btw, classical latin and attic greek are weird ways of dividing things. if you want to check someone's literacy go for something like "can you read golden age poetry" [mixture of latin and greek] or "can you read lysistrata?" [mixture of doric, attic and all forms of greek]
>The one's who meme about reading only in an original language are autistic, illiterate, numbskulls, who only speak one language, and need not be taken seriously.
this is often the case, which is a bitch. on the other hand, i'm shit when asked for translations because i haven't read a lot of translations

this board is full of pseuds of course no one does

(You)

Fuck Greek, Latin is easy if you're European romantic language.

Young Jodie Foster gets me all kinds of hard.

i can read greek especially if the sentence includes παύω

Anyone here learned Latin through self study?

I want to give it a go, but I don't know how feasible it is to do on your own.

Feasible, but you need to be motivated enough to read day after day even if the material isn't very interesting. The main difference with modern languages is that there no movies, barely any youtube channels and barely any music purely in Latin. Finding penpals is harder as well. The most of the work is going to be done through books with some listenings on the side.

Completely feasible, I'd say far more feasible than other languages, because most good books are designed to be self-contained courses

If you're reasonably bright and I knew you in real life I could probably teach you decent Latin in two weeks, and by teach you I mean hit you until you did 1-2 chapters of Wheelock a day on your own

Don't think of it too systematically though. Every book is imperfect and you will have stuff that gives you trouble. But with enough layering and redundancy it'll all sink in. Use the Internet when strange new concepts make no sense to you, and the book's explanation doesn't quite clear it up.

When you get to a certain level, you just switch to annotated readers of real Latin texts and slowly and steadily learn the idiom(s)

ummm.....

>I could probably teach you decent Latin in two weeks, and by teach you I mean hit you until you did 1-2 chapters of Wheelock a day on your own
How much do you charge per hour?

Don't care, post more Jodie

I can comprehend a decent amount of Latin because I know french and am autistic about linguistics but I can't write for shit

It's actually the best way to learn dead languages. Latin is easy if you speak a romance language.

I don't know a word of Latin, but I like to read it with the facing translation to just to hear how beautiful it sounds

torva leana lupum sequitur, lupus ipse capellam;
florentum cytisum sequitur lascivia capella,
te Corydon, o Alexi: trahit sua quemque voluptas.

0/10 no elision

Do you even know how Latin is pronounced?

I can read Latin prose almost as fluently as English, even the "harder" stuff.

I can read Classical Latin poetry fluently, too, but that's because I've read virtually all of it already.

>can you read golden age poetry" [mixture of latin and greek]

Nonsense. There are some Greek constructions but they are not very complicated, and they sometimes decline Greek personal names by Greek declensions, but Greek declensions are as simple as Latin ones.

I always found Latin much harder due to the ambiguity of cases (what case is "rosae"? what case is "cursus"?), the lack of an article, its defective verb system and corresponding periphrases, etc. The vocabulary is easier but that's it, overall it's harder IMO.

I took it formally but I mostly taught myself and moved ahead of the class etc. I read as much in a week as we would read in an entire semester in college. It helps that you're only learning it to read it.

>Nonsense. There are some Greek constructions but they are not very complicated, and they sometimes decline Greek personal names by Greek declensions, but Greek declensions are as simple as Latin ones.
I meant that as a test of their Latin fluency, not Greek, you nimrod. Cicero or Ovid, the bookends for that period, are very good tests of fluency in Classical Latin, but any golden age poet would do. If you got any of Ovid's Latin puns I'd be surprised to be honest because you're trying way to hard here. And yes, to be able to read Classical Latin fluently, you do need to be able to understand the admixture of Greek, pleb.

Not OP but I got you man.

Fair enough, I misunderstood you. I just thought it was silly to characterize Latin poetry as a "mixture of Latin and Greek", it's obviously Latin. But that was pedantic of me.

Neutrum nostrum plebem arbitratus sum. Quicumque litteras humaniores curet amicum arbitror.

;_;

>litteras humaniores
kek, did Oxford's spelling of Greats piss you off too? I'm still fucking mad as shit they got rid of comp

Ingenue confiteor, istos "Magnos" Oxoniensis non scio. In collegio Societatis Iesu educatus sum.

Sed non omnino res Oxoniensis ignoro. Ad ungues Burtoniana eruditione imbutus sum.

>"Magnos"
"Literae Humaniores" appelerunt >.

Hoc ratiocinatus sum, sed nucem sententiae etiam obscurum est. Nox crescit madidiori cervesâ cordi etc.

Quid significas "orthographiâ Magnorum"?

Ignosce stulto temulento. Cum servo dico

Quid hoc? sicine hoc fit, pedes? statin an non
an id voltis, ut me hinc iacentem aliquis tollat
nam hercle si cecidero, vestrum erit flagitium.
pergitin pergere? ah, serviendum mihi
hodie est; magnum hoc vitium vino est.

oh jesus fuck

>Good Lord in heaven, what a thing it is, that the flesh can crave the flesh like that, simply because it is not its own flesh, but belongs to another soul—how strange ...

Thanks man

pleb here

what does 'Anno Domini Vigiliae' mean?

years of our watchful lord

Oh right, so is it grammatically acceptable?

Well I guess it would be "Vigilorum" so no, I don't think you declined that adjective correctly.

Is this classical or modern latin? I don't see any - on letters, but can piece some of it it together as im learn classical latin