Is the Count of Monte Cristo the greatest literary work of all time

no

isn't it pretty much the consensus by the majority of literary scholars?

I agree that this was a great revenge story, but it was kind of backwards. I mean, Danglars was clearly the most at fault, yet he was only bankrupted, while Fernand was dishonored, abandoned by his family, and driven to suicide. And didn't Monte Cristo marry the girl he raised as a daughter?

No

Do you think it would rank higher than Ulysses?

No

Without being smartasses and just giving 1 word responses like "no"

give some literary works that actually surpass it then?

It's not even the greatest french work...

I personally have read the book a few different times, and I must say that I actually hate that book. It's just kind of boring. I would have to place my bet on the best being works like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Adventure of Robinson Crusoe. Now those tiles I probably willingly read once a year just because of how much I love them.

>give some literary works that actually surpass it then?
Ulysses, Paradise Lost, a shitton of Shakespeare/Racine/Corneille/Lope de Vega, Beckett's trilogy, Faust, the Iliad, the Essays, Journey to the end of the Night, Amerika, Moby Dick, Anna Karenina, the Master & Margarita, ISoLT etc..

It's one of the weaker books in the canon.
Honestly, this isn't even good nonsense anymore. It's insufferable. Stop making these threads.

Plot is fantastic but too stretched out. Prose is horrid
Both of those things are unsurprising if you know how it was written.

how was it written?

I too love Twenty Thousand Leagues, but
>how much I like a book determines how good it is
>I like books with action, not deeper themes
let's think about that a little, especially with Robinson Crusoe, which is nowhere to be found among the best of literature, enjoyable as it might be.

By a nigger

It's decent. The beginning and ending are excellent, but the conclusion isn't satisfying for how long the buildup is. Dumas's style also isn't very interesting.

No

>Danglars
>most at fault
>when Fernand married Monte Cristo's wife, and betrayed a whole fucking country, slaughtering its people
Are you being serious?

>YA

Thought we were better than this, Veeky Forums.

Google it

Weekly or monthly publication in a newspaper with Dumas sending in his first draft most of the time

War and Peace

For cash
It was written ala Call of Duty today
Pumped out in spades serially for massive amounts of money