The Kingkiller Chronicle

> Patrick Rothfuss

I would very much like to know the opinions of others concerning The Kingkiller Chronicle and, in particular, the first novel in the series, The Name of The Wind.

I will be beginning chapter sixty-seven, A Matter of Hands, tonight.

At this point in the book, my only significant gripe is that I am just dying to finally come upon a stretch of at least the majority of a couple chapters' worth of action.

The pages keep turning, yet the most intense action so far revealed has been Kvothe's daring rescue of Fela from the fiery bone-tar in the Fishery - and this just last chapter at that.

That was a good chapter, but I want MORE! More fighting(any at all would do), eluding, arcanery, simple thieving or even more focused encounter between Kvothe and Ambrose. I'm aching for such conflict!

I push this ache aside when distracted by it by my baseless assumption that things will surely pick up.

I just hope it does soon, because, from my perspective at page 453, it is past due.

None-the-less, I am enjoying the book despite this failure to so far appease my partiality to more frequent physical/magical conflict.

But, it would be nice to know if I should continue to anticipate some volume of action focused reading futher along, or not.

Look forward to hearing others' takes on this specific topic, as well as on the whole book and series.

>I would very much like to know the opinions of others concerning The Kingkiller Chronicle

It's shit

Name of the Wind is solid fantasy, book 2 is where it really starts to unravel though

>Takes twice as long to tell half as much story as The Hobbit
>solid fantasy

you write like that's the most complex book you've ever read

It's easily the worst novel I've ever read.

If action is what you're after, book two has it in spades. There's a long stretch which is basically a D&D adventure. I kind of wish Rothfuss had expanded just a little bit on some of the stuff he glossed over (even in a novella or something) but it definitely starts to pick the story up much better.

These faggots
Sound like they're expecting next-level literature. You seem to be enjoying it, it gets better, but it's still just mindless enjoyable fantasy.

Denna is a cunt
Auri a CUTE

t. reads for the fantasy grils

I read the books and liked them but they're not good imo

Exactly. Any popular fiction is like that. Enjoyable, but it isn't groundbreaking.

What if it is?

You have no point. I don't care about your opinion unless it's related to my OP.

thanks for your response.
I'm going to continue to read this series either way, but at least it's nice to know a little of what to expect, at least come book two.

I mean nvm, scratch my previous comment

It's pretty good as far as modern popular fantasy goes

I read the entirety of Wheel of Time, now that was pretty bad at times
like holy shit

I changed my mind ur cool

It isn't enjoyable. It's the adventures of a pretentious bland neckbeard cuck jerking off to his own image.
The conflict is cuck versus like the literally worst dude ever xd
Magic is a ripoff, taken straight out of Earthsea, like many other of its elements.
The prose is what a neckbeard would consider beauty, basically high school grrum tier prose, but with added adjectives.

>adventures of a pretentious bland neckbeard cuck jerking off to his own image

Isn't that the point though? They even allude to the fact that Kvothe (Or Kote, if he isn't who he says he is) isn't a reliable narrator. Everything comes so easy to him and he's constantly surrounded by beautiful women. Bast makes a point of calling him out on that second point at least once.

Denna is a massive cunt though.

The rest of your post just sounds like the classical faggot angry that people don't share his garbage opinions.

>Isn't that the point though? They even allude to the fact that Kvothe (Or Kote, if he isn't who he says he is) isn't a reliable narrator.
Even if that's true, it's completely irrelevant. It's 1800 pages of drivel and then in the hypothetical 3rd book you may get something to tumble the narrative of Kvothe.
>Everything comes so easy to him and he's constantly surrounded by beautiful women. Bast makes a point of calling him out on that second point at least once.
Yes, because it's a self insert power fantasy for nerds.
>Denna is a massive cunt though.
Everyone is a badly written character more or less.
>The rest of your post just sounds like the classical faggot angry that people don't share his garbage opinions.
I didn't know about his shit opinions while reading. His work is complete garbage outside of his garbage opinions, even if they do seep into the novel and shit it up more.

I've just started reading this. I'm only on page 150 or something, but I've heard that Kvothe turns out to be the biggest fucking Gary Stu.

Say it ain't so.

Gary Stu is the wrong expression I think.
Imagine a neckbeard wanking to what he wants to be, a sexually liberated empowered enlightened super skilled legend rationalist mage atheist in a generic fantasy world and you've got Kvothe.

Damn. That's one of the only things I appreciate about ASOIAF.

Everyone fucking sucks.

I like it when the "totally not a whore" character crashes the story and adds 300 pages of literally nothing to the book.

It's like Harry Potter books. If you like that you should like this. I certainly did not.
The protagonist is like a 15 year old dream of cool guy who gets all the women, is intelligent and strong. Really no flaws in the character.
The school part was cringe worthy.
I'm sure there are better series out there.

>The protagonist is like a 15 year old dream of cool guy who gets all the women
Hes poor, he dont even eat that much, etc and get cucked by her crush frecuently.
>is intelligent and strong.
Yes, the strong thing its by the meme magic that he use and his intelligent way to scape of problems.
>Really no flaws in the character.
No, hes just arrogant. And wants to be a hero, thats way always portrait himself as that. This illusion dissapear, for example, in the fight with Denna.
People usually hate someone better than they.

>Hes poor, he dont even eat that much, etc and get cucked by her crush frecuently.
These aren't character flaws.
>Yes, the strong thing its by the meme magic that he use and his intelligent way to scape of problems.
It's by cringy attempts at wit by a neckbeard writer that he solves them.
>No, hes just arrogant. And wants to be a hero, thats way always portrait himself as that.
After 1600 pages of being perfect the 'unreliable narration' is a shitty cop out, especially when compared to other unreliable narrators, such as Humbert or Severian. There the lies and misconceptions do something other than providing an excuse for awful writing.
>People usually hate someone better than they.
I would hate a lot of literature if I did that, most people would. The simple fact is, people hate this book simply for being awful.

>> tfw the author tires to give his readers women advice through the protagonist's experiences when he's obviously has zero experience with women

>>tfw kvothe is literally the biggest pussy when it comes to pulling the trigger with women and chases some girl that literally gets dicked down by a new man every other week

its like a how to guide on how to be a "nice guy". i cringe so hard whenever he tries to do this shit

you mean Harry Potter and the School of Neckbeard?

fo sho I dug it

>starting a book series that is never going to be finished

Why would you do that?

>People usually hate someone better than they.
If that was the case I would hate all of my favorite books.

I'm not a writer, I've read a lot of fantasy, and its pap.

If you like this book, you must like anime.

It distresses me that we can go more discussion out of a shitty fantasy novel than the classics on Veeky Forums

>Can we get a catch-22/Iliad/moby dick/the stranger discussion going?

This thread and others like it happen every day. Lurk more. they arent well attended because its kicking a dead horse.

There is literally nothing wrong with liking anime

Anime is great, this book is trash.

Keep reading. Its an easy read that is really fun, and gets really good later on. Just dont expect some deep or hidden meanings to anything, because there won't be. This is a series with no subtlety, but it's a fun one, and that's really all there is to say about it.

There is more action to be had later on if you keep reading.

I hate that the fat neckbeard fuck is taking so long with the third book, so I don't recommend the book to anyone, and wont until it's finished but you might as well stick it out.

Another good one (also unfinished, but worth it in this case) is the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch

This dont make sense. Most people here come for the anime fascination.

Worse than the new Harry Potter, IMHO.

This is the level of mastery of the English language fans of Rothfuss have.

Kvothe is one of the biggest assholes in fantastic literature. Rothfuss has to learn how to build up a character by LeGuin and Tolkien.