Hey Veeky Forums what is beauty?

Hey Veeky Forums what is beauty?

pretty girls

I'm writer.

Something that attracts admiration

Beauty is truth, truth is beauty.

Some would say suffering. Rilke says it's the knowledge that we're going to die, that we understand our time is limited and so must reach deep into the well of human experience. Still others believe there is a transcendental experience, of divine exaltation and redemption of all our woes into one cosmic...ah shit, it's hot chicks with big tits sucking on your dick. Okay? Fuck, if you could just stay in one room with a hot girl and fuck until one of you died of dehydration (hell, that wouldn't even stop some people), you'd be happy. Isn't that what Pascal meant, deep down?

Shut up

Why does it attract admiration?

Memers & teens get out

beauty is beauty you stupid faggots. when would a precise definition ever be necessary?

when things be like hella pretty

My diary, desu

beauty is when "the internal" is brought upon the external and then "re-captured" into "the internal", as Gulenberg would put it.

Beauty's subjective so why it attracts admiration may differ, but the common definition is just the fact that it attracts, imo
Unless you mean the mental processes in which case I don't know

yer mum's cunny under the moon-lit dustplot of a tepid night.

In the eye of the beholder it is sweet rapture. It is a heady, flooding rush that stems from the chest and runs to your fingertips. Beauty forces your attention and then lingers long in the memory, sparking ripples on recollection.

who fucking cares, you dont need words to know whats beautiful and what isnt

lit truly is the most mindbending and fucked up board, none of you has any brain whatsoever

best post

when you like the feels sensory input gives you

whatever makes your cock hard

Whatever you believe is beautiful.

Not really. I find it very unsatisfactory. It doesn't capture anything of the emotions that beauty evokes. If humans were to die out and this single sentence was all that other intelligent life forms had access to when formulating an understanding on beauty, they would leave thinking us automatons.

your mums vag

the internal is the will of the soul, this should have been understood

It is too mechanical an expression for something steeped in emotion. It's shit writing.

You're assuming the soul is a universal concept.

Indeed even amongst humans; the originators of the idea, there are many who would contend that the soul is a hamfisted pre-scientific metaphor for consciousness.

Retard

What a pathetic response. The irony.

I envy people like you that have never experienced suffering.

This thread

sublime nature

You're on a literature board faggots, if you can't express in words what is a fundamental component of this field then you don't belong here

>what is beauty?
As many people that have ever lived and will live long enough to define what beauty is, is what beauty is- that's how many definitions of beauty there are, potentially. The mass majority of that multitude of people will simply define what beauty is by what a tiny fraction of the other people have previously defined beauty as.

A E S T H E T I C S

pleasure objectified

Where shall you seek beauty, and how shall you find her unless she herself be your way and your guide?
And how shall you speak of her except she be the weaver of your speech?

The aggrieved and the injured say, "Beauty is kind and gentle.
Like a young mother half-shy of her own glory she walks among us."
And the passionate say, "Nay, beauty is a thing of might and dread.
Like the tempest she shakes the earth beneath us and the sky above us."

The tired and the weary say, "Beauty is of soft whisperings. She speaks in our spirit.
Her voice yields to our silences like a faint light that quivers in fear of the shadow."
But the restless say, "We have heard her shouting among the mountains,
And with her cries came the sound of hoofs, and the beating of wings and the roaring of lions."

At night the watchmen of the city say, "Beauty shall rise with the dawn from the east."
And at noontide the toilers and the wayfarers say,
"We have seen her leaning over the earth from the windows of the sunset."

In winter say the snow-bound, "She shall come with the spring leaping upon the hills."
And in the summer heat the reapers say,
"We have seen her dancing with the autumn leaves,
and we saw a drift of snow in her hair."
All these things have you said of beauty,
Yet in truth you spoke not of her but of needs unsatisfied,
And beauty is not a need but an ecstasy.
It is not a mouth thirsting nor an empty hand stretched forth,
But rather a heart enflamed and a soul enchanted.

It is not the image you would see nor the song you would hear,
But rather an image you see though you close your eyes and a song you hear though you shut your ears.
It is not the sap within the furrowed bark, nor a wing attached to a claw,
But rather a garden for ever in bloom and a flock of angels for ever in flight.

People of Orphalese, beauty is life when life unveils her holy face.
But you are life and you are the veil.
Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror.
But you are eternity and you are the mirror.

It's pretty great, I must admit. My biggest tragedy is not having caught that charmander earlier today.

#firstworldbestworld

He hasn't experienced fucking either judging by his post.

Who wrote this?

HEY! Crazy idea, rather than discussing what beauty is, perhaps a more interesting conversation to be had is about the image OPs query. Johannes Vermeer' s View of Delft, as I've studied it, brings into question the aesthetic values of realism and art. A seemingly mundane 'snapshot' of this simple scene allows the viewer to ponder and find grand qualities in what Vermeer is portraying. Now, I ask to all who wish to participate, rather than "what is beauty?" What can and can't be beautiful by holding, or exemplifying the subjective aesthetic values of its viewer or reader? Does anyone have anything to say about this piece? I believe it would be a good excerice of rhetoric to discuss the merits of beauty in the context of this piece, rather than in broad, and sometimes vague terms.

kys

saged

>What can or can't be beautiful by holding, or exemplifying the subjective aesthetic values of its viewer or reader?
What does this mean?

Kahlil Gibran