Post books that offer absolutely no solace at all. Books that seem to be written just to depress the reader

Post books that offer absolutely no solace at all. Books that seem to be written just to depress the reader.

First meme, best meme.

You're looking for Philip Mainländer, OP.

>be philosopher
>write and publish book about how life is meaningless
>get newly printed copies of said book, stack them and use them as a platform to commit suicide by hanging
>bonus: get forgotten in history except for by Nietzsche, who calls you "the mawkish apostle of virginity".

Good luck finding a copy tho, I spent a little fortune on some reprint from amazon.de

Some German anons are working on translating it

le bump

He's mostly forgotten, but a lot of memes around. Actually read Max Stirner, he says that he is not out to save anyone and that he couldn't care less.

Boy i remember reading that in school. Horrid stuff. The end was... Satisfying though, in a way. Peaceful.

>because we are too menny

too obvious

>>Nietzsche, who calls you "the mawkish apostle of virginity".
jesus, talk about glass houses

>The end was... Satisfying though, in a way. Peaceful.
I hated the ending. Little twerp just couldn't handle his liquor. Nothing tragic about it, just a drunken sad sack.

Beckett's Trilogy, or Godot. Endgame especially.

>that ending

I dunno, it did seem sort of a fitting ending, but the work still left me in a depressed state. I had also just read a few others of Hesse's immediately prior, and all together they really had me in a bad way. I've dealt with major depression as long as I can remember, but reading all of those back to back had me feeling lower than almost any other point in my life up to that time (I was 21 or 22 at the time).

Also, a question about my original pic related: do you think it ends with an accidental drowning or a suicide?. I felt like it was obviously insinuating the latter, but I've found that there isn't really a consensus on the matter.

Nietzsche wasn't a virgin though, and he certainly didn't advocate it.

He just didn't get married.

by the time i got to the sad stuff in this book i was so annoyed with how fucking boring of a writer Hardy was that i didn't give a shit

Please kill yourself.

The Idiot

I think the latter. I guess Hans inhibitions were lowered enough to finally go trough with it. The kid was suicidal all along. Even if it wasn't Hesse believed in some people being suicidents as you can read in the Steppenwolf and Hans was absolutely fitting that type. So either he killed himself or drowned on accident before he could kill himself.

But that's just my opinion. What else by Hesse did you read?

Everything by Richard Yates.

I think after he gets kicked out of school he didn't care about life anymore. He learn what good life is, and his home life just wouldn't make it.
At the end he was just living by inertia, and at the end of the book, the drowning not an act towards suicide nor exactly an accident, or you could read it as both at the same time. I read it as something that just happened, like an accident, but one of which he didn't particularly care about surviving, so he didn't fight death like most people would do.

my diary to be honest

d e s u

How has nobody said No Longer Human yet?

Because it's really, really bad.

fuck you plen

Why did you like it?

I thought that main character was so comically ridiculous, I couldn't take him serious.

The writing was also annoying, but maybe that's just the translation.

Dunno how to properly describe it but did anyone find the ending of this depressing in a suffocating nightmarish kind of way?

Filth by Irvine Welsh is pretty nasty and hateful.

>Philip Mainländer
>an hero at 34
>tfw I'm 40, have a job, poured up my 3rd Mountain Dew for today with totally sweaty cheddar and chocolate cookies and mini cigarillo with filter am doing some serious housecleaning, yet can still mix it with pleaseure
Life is good.

Cigarillos with filters are the devil's work and you should be ashamed.

Is that your arm in the pic OP?

that's because it's the right answer

thats actually a bird

It's also hilarious. But yeah it gets grim towards the end.
Have you read Crime? Is it good?

It has no impact if you know from the outset that you are about to be faced with depressing 'truths'.

Yes. He still visits my back garden sometimes, he's a lot bigger and more handsome now.

not everyone is so talented at living in denial babykeks

I mean that it doesn't depress you. There is a certain sense that the phenomena has been objectified and is much easier to deal with as a result.