Fact: science fiction and fantasy is the only real literature, an exploration of limits of human imagination

Fact: science fiction and fantasy is the only real literature, an exploration of limits of human imagination.
If you read "deep" books about "human condition" and other emotional gay shit, you are a boring, snobbish person.

Obvious bait but I'm gonna take advantage of it to say that you shouldn't jsut read fantasy and science fiction or "deep" books. Balance is the key.

>le you gotta read everything
kys
I don't want to dig through the landfill of fantasy, scifi and other pulp to find something somewhat decent when I could be reading objectively great books instead.

just chill out dude

What hole are you autists crawling out from?

lal I know it's b8 but still, I stopped reading fantasy when I started reading proper literature. Those are exclusive terms pretty much, most fantasy is shit and most of us stop reading it once we're old enough to realize that

Realism and non-fantasy is genre fiction, it limits itself to one metaphysical possibility

Vagina

This to be quite honest, my family.

Fact: If Science Fiction wrote about something other than how horrible Capitalism and/or War is/was then it might sell better.

I don't want to say fantasy is bad, but I always get the feeling that it is written by and made for man children. There's (most of the time) no purpose to it other than to have a jolly fun time for a couple of hours using mostly arbitrary rulesets in arbitrary worlds.

You just have to examine the genres 'greatest writers' like the everloved Tolkien to see that this is true. It's kind of funny people have tried to give those books deeper meaning only to be swatted down by Tolkien himself in his many letter conversations.

Sci-fi is different, weirdly enough at least half of sci fi seems to be about the human condition, just from an extrapolated perspective of what it's like in the future. This is why every sci fi novel or series seems to have their own take on various forms of human consciousness (AI, hive-mind-like constructs, etc...), on various societies and stuff that form in the future, etc.

The other half seems to be about the general wonder and question of what out's there and what's yet to come for humans.

In short, sci-fi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fantasy in every way, except if you're a manchild who can't handle deeper stuff.

also, regarding normal mccarthy style modern day stories, I don't have much to say about them. Those seem like the kind of topics you grow into and out of, as your perspective on life changes.

I used to read them a lot when I was younger, then switched to fantasy for a few years (in hindsight I only regret that I didn't realize the garbage I was reading much earlier), started sci fi and realized how much better it was, and that's where I am now.

But I wouldn't be surprised if by the time I'm much older (27 now) my perspective of life shifts so much that I start picking up contemporary stuff again.

Also I must admit that sci-fi often has pretty one-dimensional and static characters. I can only assume this is because of who writes these kinds of stories. sci fi writers are probably more interested in the ideas and plot than the people.

>an exploration of limits of human imagination.
i bet you haven't read tropismes faggot

You got me. Can you recommend a title. Science fiction. Nothing about War and Capitalism. Really want to give it a shot

All Summer in a Day

Have fun only reading what other people is telling you is worth reading then.

What a piss poor attack on fantasy, most everything is shit, if you haven't realized that then you've barely read anything.

The percentage of shitty fantasy is no higher than any other type of fiction.

VALIS

funny you use that image because the only thing more juvenile than fantasy is anime

>objectively
Wew lad

Picrelated relates to this thread perfectly. Lem takes a loooong thorough piss on both SciFi and Fantasy. With a handful of exceptions like Ubik and Roadside Picnic almost everything is torn to pieces.

The best books are non-fiction.

Science fiction is miles ahead of modern-setting fiction and fantasy that takes place in a technologically inferior setting.

Fantasy is better than modern-setting fiction, sometimes.

Visual mediums like comics, movies / TV, and video games are better forms of entertainment than fiction books. Although that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of books that are more entertaining than the majority of comics, movies and video games.

You would have a point if fantasy and sci fi were actually imaginative genres.

>objectively
You definitely need to read more.

I think sci fi might be incapable in having a story of how horrible war is considering its material. That being said, The Forever War I would consider an anti war sci fi.

Why is capitalism horrible?

>honestly believing non-fiction isn't shit

Any ass-hat can regurgitate reality. Sure there are some exceptions, but on the whole non-fiction is an utter waste of everyone's time.

>Any ass-hat can regurgitate reality
Sure. Reality is a small thing for most people, however. Small realities aren't interesting.