It's almost prime horror season. What horror are you going to read this fall?

It's almost prime horror season. What horror are you going to read this fall?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J_-mv-Eo0io
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well, that book right there is something I'd like to get. I'm almost done with "Teatro Grottesco".

I'll be going on a date with Shirley Jackson this halloween

MR James.

Hey everyone, user's dating his mom

That one for sure (already had a peek - The Frolic is top spoopy, not entirely sure about Les Fleurs), plus The King in Yellow and maybe Ring by Koji Suzuki.

>horror season

no m8 i don't know what that means.

I'm considering splurging a good 35 dollars on this but I'm not sure about the translation. Done buy a guy named Arnold Kellet but can't find out much about him.

Comfy Autumn weather spooky atmosphere.

Ring is great. I've read it like three times. Something about it always makes me want to reread it as soon as I finish.

I'm going to read or re-read all the novels the universal monster were based off of while re-watching some of the movies. Doesn't get more prime Halloween than that.

That sounds kino af

Uh, just some lo-lovecraft f-for me?

>horror

Where do I start with horror, Veeky Forums? Is it Lovecraft or Ligotti? Or perhaps Dunsany, MR James or Blackwood? Maybe go back as far as Poe or gothic novels of the 18th century?

I wish I fucking knew. I want to find good horror so very badly. Maybe reread Poe to find something good

I barely glanced at a few pages in the book in your OP while in my bookshop and it seems horrible.

What are the go to for horror? No King.

Why don't you just start reading classic horror novels and discovering your own tastes instead of asking to be spoonfed a reading list?

I'm going to finally getting around to reading Dracula.

I've already read The Castle of Otranto, which other gothic novels are worth exploring?

I read Frankenstein and loved it and I've read A Turn of the Screw and loved it but since then I haven't found anything that I liked, so I thought I'd ask

The Monk

Had this sitting around for a while, may as well get into it.

Check out Bram Stoker Award winning novels and authors. Can't go too wrong there. 2016 winners have been out a while.

>hey what genre fiction are you reading XD XDDDDD

OP, are you an idiot?

Fuck off back to /v/.

>wanker

I don't get why Ligotti gets so favorably called the new Lovecraft. Sure, that's what he's kinda aiming for, but his horror is too gritty compared with Lovecraft's. They're completely different writers.

Me too. Kinda going for the Flannery O'Connor and Joyce Carol Oates grotesquerie angle.

Is horror even good? I've read Dracula, Steven King, Shirley and some other stories when I was younger. Nothing really about those was horrifying.

Well memed.

Someone upload all of Ligotti

>The King in Yellow
Good first half or so but it turns to utter non-horror vaguely romantic shit towards the end

Tough guy huh

Yeah I didn't want to sound edgy like ''no horror scares me, I watch the Conjuring for breakfast'', but I started to read those books to feel some adrenaline pumping due to fear, but meh. I liked Dracula though. Nice book.

Just go to libgen, a bunch of them are there

Wow that was easy. Is this the holy grail of free books?

See

well said

My diary

I really dug Peter Straub's Shadowland.
A horror centric proto-Harry Potter with a dash of The Brothers Grimm and Christian mysticism.

what's the consensus of Shelly's Frankenstein?
have to read it for school this semester

>reading Barker after Books of Blood

>Can't go too wrong there

Not so sure because Jonathan Maberry almost won it and he's barely literate. Maybe it's a sign of their eclecticism.

learn french

None because I'm an easily frightened bitch.

Quite good, though not that scary, and bears very little resemblance to the movies.

well I've been rereading Ligotti since I got my hands on that penguin book you posted OP

its also been years since I read Lovecraft and Poe so I might open up their collections once again, I guess, at least for a few stories

not that I particularly try to read horror in the autumn

He has some stories that are basically Lovecraft, but yeah he is very different overall. Much more "experimental" (= surreal, abstract) horror and indeed more grittiness.

>I barely glanced at a few pages in the book in your OP while in my bookshop and it seems horrible.
I think you should give it a proper try, its short stories after all, that sounds like a horrible way to judge them. Just read a few of the well-liked ones, they're generally good.

Is this good? Or The Light is the Darkness? I haven't read any fantasy since I was young and they seemed alright.
I'm new to Veeky Forums so sorry if this is a meme question.

Very good, one of my favorites. Not scary until the very end, and even then it will only unnerving for a few.

youtube.com/watch?v=J_-mv-Eo0io

Short film based on "The frolic". Great stuff desu senpai.

I'm on this part right now. Is it worth finishing?

No King? God damn dude, you're missing something good there. Read his short stories, don't waste your time with the novels.

>Steven King

Oh, yeah, the author of "Anguish" and "Dometicated animal graveyard"

Good shit desu senpai

>Poe
>Lovecraft
>Blackwood
>Ligotti
>Stephen King
>Shirley Jackson

Why are all the famous horror authors American?

What are some good short stories of his?

Machen was Welsh I think

>Doesn't know M.R James or Arthur Machen.
Also, Blackwood was English.

He was also a fierce sorceror

This collection is great and King has sold so many books you can find them all for pennies. In fact I may order another copy of this now.

Me too dude, i got The Dolls House & and Other Stories all lined up
Read the first volume last year and it was awesome.

>Don't waste your time with the novels.
I'll go up to bat for 'It' and 'The Stand'.

This: Haven't read "The Stand", but "It" is great.

I thought Pet Semetary was pretty good too.

This is actually surprisingly well written.

been thinking about busting out my old lovecraft collection. might reread some of those this halloween season.

Just a warning that Ligotti at least during this book isn't horror at all.

That book really isn't the best place for starting with Ligotti, I agree. Grimscribe or Songs of a dad dreamer all along (out of those, I think either is fine and that both start with a good, relatively basic horror story)

That said tho he is quite horror there. Just not "boo" kind of horror.

I think 'dread, sometimes with puppets' describes Ligotti better than 'horror'

Maybe some of this stories. But he has plenty of stories that I find just plain horror-y, like The Frolic and The Last Feast of Harlequin. Or that Nyctalops trilogy. Or one of my favorites, The Night School.

French user here. As far as I know, Maupassant did not write any book called "contes de terreur", neither he wrote on terror or horror.

Got these, though they're not pure horror. Will read MR James epubs too.

I read Les Chants de Maldoror several years ago, but I don't think I gave it enough attention. Will probably give that another go. Otherwise, the regular diet of Lovecraft and Poe.

Apocalypse Culture and AC2 are fantastic. This is literally the first time I've ever seen someone mention one of them anywhere.

Dean Koontz

Le Horla

please respond

I've never heard of them. They look like young adult meme lit based on the covers.

Laird Barron is a decent enough writer, I'd say good, even, but I've only read his short stories.

I wouldn't recommend that book, OP. Ligotti's early stories are not very special works of horror. I can't speak for his later stories, but the ones in that collection are bland and amateurish.

You best be jesting mate, it's really fuckin good.

I guess I'm just not a horror guy, then. It's very difficult for me to get scared of something that isn't real. But I was really excited to read Ligotti due to his work with my favorite band, Current 93, and was disappointed as the stories failed to interest me in the least. It's just all so commonplace and nothing really crazy ever happens, and when it does it isn't even described. When it comes to horror, I need some earlier shit like Blackwood and Stenbock.

That's fucking perfect lol

What does lit think of gothic literature?

Read the Monk last year and found it greatly entertaining even with its flaws.

Will Probably read some Radcliffe this fall.

Post great horror books you dont see mentioned much.

lmao you just got ligotti'd lmao

LIGOTTI

lmao I just got bazinga'd lmao
you rascal, user.

This is an essential.
Not necessarily that scary unless you're a kid maybe, but no other book gets me into the spirit like this one.

kek. yup this. sad but true.

>summer is nearing its end, the days are getting shorter, another year is over

That alone fills me with more horror and dread than any book could.

Read it back in April. Two Pan paperback collections combined into one high-end hardback, more accurately described as misanthropic tales of small-minded cruelty and selfishness. Not the best translation of his work I've read, its perfectly adequate but doesn't always capture his eloquence. Even if you don't go for it Tartarus Press books are definitely worth the investment.

Ok thanks. I suppose I'll pass then and get some Machen instead (sadly pic related is out of print supposedly has his best stuff).

Do you have any other Tartarus Press books?

I've always wondered why David Tibet is so fascinated with Ligotti and vocal about promoting his work. You'd think Tibet's Christianity would be completely at odds with Ligotti's views, which are very present even in his fiction.

David isn't closed-minded. He supports anyone who has strong opinions, regardless of whether he agrees with them. DT has written many, many songs about ideas that he doesn't support at all and certainly isn't afraid of exploring heretical concepts.

I can vouch for this one. currently enjoying it, however dont expect an amazing experience, just unsettling spooky stories, with some that are brilliant.