Is this good?

Is this good?

It's absolutely magnificent.

Tell me more, user

read the fucking book

I just finished it

I got this off gutenburg, the translation is by hogarth and I've never heard of him
Is he good? Better than garnett at least?

My favourite Russian novel. I love his short stories but that's probably the best thing Gogol has written. Almost feels like a 19th century Kafka novel to me, because of how it manages to be both hilarious and depressing, and how absurd the premise is.

I just had the story in mind. I've read I rather plebby translation I believe. But Gogol did not finish it, did he?

it's pretty funny

>what should my opinion be

Read like half and got bored.

Go and stay go.

I know this will sound annoying, but I really think it starts getting really good almost exactly halfway through, when Gogol starts speaking directly to you the reader; the insight he gives into his purpose for writing is what gives the story meaning and value.

He does that a couple times right? I think that's pretty funny and also helpful to get his ideas. I sometimes overcontemplate the reasons and values of the author and the literal experience comes in second

Since its unfinished, where's a good place to finish on for a satisfactory story, and minimal cliffhangers?

idk, i just played the video game, it was okay.

Alright then. Just needed on one Veeky Forums saying it is worth reading. Is in my shelf for 15 years now.

I would read the whole thing, because I think it should be enjoyed that way and it's not alot of additional reading. Found it a little interesting reading the same storyline in a novel but with a different author. He obviously tries to mimic Gogol, and with knowing that in your approach to it could give you something aswell

underrated

>Better than Garnett at least
>at least
Bro Garnett is probably the best general translator of Russian lit. Not necessarily Dead Souls tho.

Read the entire book. Whether it is considered complete or not is irrelevant, Dead Souls is the book it was meant to be in its extant form.

She made Brothers Karamazov unreadable for me tbqh

There is no cliffhanger unless you intentionally stop reading at some point. I think it's better to read both parts, but for a more 'satisfying' experience avoid the second part; Gogol wrote everything after the first part while his mental condition was really deteriorating, and it shows, just a bunch of shallow, Christian-educational bullshit

If you liked that read his short stories. They are GOAT.

underrated post

That's a funny way to spell "Richard Pevear"