You guys know any good books on buddhism?

You guys know any good books on buddhism?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/0861714911/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RRMDU6RACYVX&coliid=I2MEO68RIB6I2J
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I just read Buddhist Texts by Penguin Classics. It was alright. The Dhamapadda is ok too, and the Konjaku Monogatari Shu is basically Buddhist propaganda.

i thought those were sushi rolls at first

What The Buddha Taught by Wohlpal Rahula or something. Good short book and probably the best intro to Buddhism you can read.

Anyone read "buddhism: plain and simple", seems ok but i'm not taking chances.

siddhartha

holy kekeroni

Yes, Pali Canon.

Go primary source: read the sutras. Red Pine has some good translations of a couple o' them.

Also, I unironically found Alan Watts' The Way of Zen to be a great introduction to japanese buddhism, and his book on taoism is good too. Despite him being a new age meme by this point.

Borges wrote a book on buddhism. It's not his most popular work, but considering it's Borges, how bad could it be, right?

I don't even care if he is a new age meme. I still love his books and lectures on YouTube. But a lot of people kinda don't get what he's trying to say, so they turn half his shit into Facebook memes.

My diary, u stupid fucning faggot.

this

Damn this board has fucking sick hero worship for Borges.

Good luck reading that shit tho.

amazon.com/dp/0861714911/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RRMDU6RACYVX&coliid=I2MEO68RIB6I2J

shit

The Art of Happiness

Best entry level buddhism book

I believe user is still working on the definitive version.

Probably because he is arguably the best writer of all time. Have you read Ficciones? Labyrinths? His poetry? He's amazing.

Ya, but I've also read more than ten other books too. Fucking best writer of all time, holy shit. Him and Gene Wolfe right?

Buddhists seek Nirvana, to enter into the wordless, perceptionless reality that they have identified as the true nature of everything when the veils of this world are stripped away. As such they are complete faggots who can't deal with the fact that sometimes you life doesn't work out, and want to let go of the beauty of human particularity so as to return to the homogeneous stream of everything from which we were created.

it's pretty much a nihilist death cult, yeah

:(

There is studying Buddhism, and there is living Buddhism. The only way to understand Buddhism is to live it, every single breath. The best advice I've ever heard is, "The goal of meditation is to be meditating all the time."

There are books on how to live Buddhism, and you should read these. It is incredibly simple, but we make it complicated because we must.

When I began practicing Buddhism, I was always analyzing it. I required intellectual stimulation. If this is the case for you, I recommend the following:

Peter Fenner's "Reasoning Into Reality: A System Cybernetics Model of Buddhist Middle Path Analysis."

But remember, it is all only words. The truth is right now.

Start where you are by Pema Chodron

I know I'm gonna sound like a faggot but, it seems like you kinda can't have a job/house when you're a Buddhist. Is this true?

Kevin Trainor wrote a good guide.

The six pāramitās and noble eightfold path can be practiced on any walk of life.

The six pāramitās and eightfold path can be practiced on any walk of life.

men do care more for intellectual beauty than for physical beauty

I don't know much about Buddhism, but it just kinda felt that you have to leave society to be a Buddhist

The Demon Haunted World. Buddhism is full of pseudoscience and bullshit so the book could bring insight there.

There is one aspect of Buddhism I find extraordinarily beautiful, and that is the concept of a Bodhisattva.

One may think that in Buddhism the goal is enlightenment so as to achieve nirvāṇa.

However, the Bodhisattva path is to realize such perfect selflessness as to choose to be reborn an infinite number of times to work forever toward the liberation of all other sentient being from suffering.

It is like choosing to stay in Hell for eternity out of utter compassion. It is the apogee of goodness.

yeah i have, its very good and clears up alot of "myths or mysticism" that seem to be common without pussy footing around it and very pleasnt easy read

wtf i hate women now!

Won't he see this and get mad?

Thanks!

The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris

Every Westerner who is interested in Buddhism is some overly-aesthetic wimpy hipster crypto-nihilist left-wing type.

If they are slightly cooler, they're more a more gregarious extroverted entrepreneurial/adventurous type who likes to buy organic food and bikes on trails.

How does one become buddhist monk

He did? What's it called?

You apply at a monastery and do some retreats and see how you like it, then you go for a long test run and if you still like it you can take your vows.

I think.

Laypeople can, monks can't.