Who /poverty/ here?

Who /poverty/ here?

Anybody else here living in poverty in order to have the time and focus to write your novel?

Feels amazing

It's the same life lived by Raymond Carver, William S. Burroughs, Steinbeck, the list goes on.

Not yet, but I'll be moving from the nice suburb I went to Junior High and High School in and down back to the shit part of town I grew up in. Basically Detroit but in the desert and with spics instead of niggers. Have to do it for economic reasons, as money is tough working a commission job.

Moving to Paris in February for 4 months to live on a shoestring budget and read and write as much as I can. Pretty excited desu senpai

>feels amazing
Fuck you

How old are you?

How did you find the apartment?

I'm 21. Apartment belongs to a family friend. I'm a richfag but I want to live like a poor person so I can include it in my wikipedia to seem authentic etc.

kill yourself my man

Kek. Good luck m8

Not me, I don't know who the fuck responded

I am 21 though, found the apartment through airbnb. Came to like 1700 for 4 months all bills/electricity etc included.

Wut?

Thanks. I bought a long black overcoat last saturday, looks awesome. Can't wait to walk around in the cold weather. I've always wanted to know what it's like being a dostoevsky character.

>1700 for 4 months

What the f**k?

Any links to similar places?

>Rich guy LARP'ing as a poor person

Yeah that'll surely be authentic.

Worked for Wittgenstein. Worked for Wallace. Worked for Tao Lin. Most writers are from rich backgrounds, that's just something you're going to have to deal with kiddo.

Secluding yourself from greater society to write isn't the same as pretending to be poor.

Kill yourself my man.

just look on airbnb man, I'm going to stay in 5th arrondissement. It would be more but a lot of the owners discount per week or per month. A lot of places I looked at were £26 a month with 30% monthly discount, which comes to ~2k for 4 months.

I don't have to pretend, I really am poor. I'll have to find work as an English tutor or something or I may be in for some weight loss...

Being a neet sucks ass, it's extremely limiting. I want to write about things that I can't experience because I can't go out and do the things that I want to do.

I'm writing about things I have experienced but it's often depressing and annoying.

>neet who wants to write about his own life which depresses and annoys him
sounds like it writes itself

burroughs was unemployed and addict since like 30, yea poverty as f

I'm a NEET and no, being poor isn't great, go fuck yourself.

I did "choose" not to work to write this book I'm almost done with but I'm not qualified for any job that isn't shit so it's not much of a "choice".

Choosing to live in poverty is leagues away from real poverty, you fucking shit. Instead of ducking your privilege for Virtue Points, you should use it to its fullest.

Burgers lived on mummy and daddy's pension for like, 25 years until he fell down the rabbit-hole of degeneracy.

fucking kek

le artistic and noble poverty meme
blow your brains out

How old are you?

Burroughs was gifted at least $1,000 per month for the rest of his life after graduation since his family were rich

I graduated with zero student debt thanks to scholarships and worked about 16-20 hours a week to support myself living in seattle while making a few albums. It was a pretty fucked up life; zero money for everything, hella emaciated due to shitty nutrition, no money for fun stuff at all, relationship was always strained, hyperfocus on art derailed a lot of my friendships. yeah i made some "good" music and played some big shows but i feel like there should've been another way. definitely would not have preferred to work at a desk job sucking dick for cash 9-5 but i burnt the candle at both ends and ended up burning the whole house down too.

Writing is the only skill I thought I was any good with, so after graduating with a degree, instead of applying in vain for jobs, I dedicated myself to it full-time. If you really want to get good at something, talented or not, you've got to give it your 100%, so I thought.
I've written seven novels over the two years since, some of which I released for free online and some of which I self-published through amazon. It's been fulfilling time and I think I've surpassed myself in many ways, but my works never brought me much fame and even less money.

It was fun while it lasted. I'll put out two more books by the end of the year and, unless anything changes, start to look for a new, more stable career next year.

Money isn't that big of a problem, I live basically with $300 per month, in an apartment owned by my grandparents and don't have to starve. But the uncertainty of future isn't something I enjoy. I haven't even told my family about what I do, because I don't want them to think I'm one of those leecher "artists". To me, writing is a serious and very much physical job like any other, but very few here see it that way. Especially when my books don't appeal to normies.

How old are you now?

What do you do?

>7 novels over two years
>2 more by the end of the year
Are they really "novels" at all, or first drafts of novellas? I don't see how anything churned out that quickly can be good.

25. No one really needs to be a millionaire or anything but only retards go around fetishizing poverty.

It's not wine-making, bro. Time spent doesn't magically equal quality. Most people only ruin their drafts by sitting on it for years, overediting and losing sight of what they were actually trying to say.

I keep things simple, give myself a goal and write the best I can. Regardless of whether the result is award-winning material or not, it's not going to get any better no matter how much longer I waste with it. You gotta learn to let go, if you ever plan to write more than one book in your life.