Honest opinions on this, Veeky Forums?

Honest opinions on this, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

online-literature.com/victor_hugo/les_miserables/28/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Penguin has a beautiful translation. I loved it

First 80 pages dragged a bit though

Agreed - the Penguin translation is phenomenal.

That one has the best translation

Read it in french because french speaking. Simply beautiful.

Cried like a miserable bitch.

I found the first 80 pages to be some of the most enjoyable parts, I'd read an entire book about the bishop. The book overall is very good, a favorite.

there are two types of people: those who loved "muh waterloo" and those who hated it

but no one read this fuggin shit chapter: online-literature.com/victor_hugo/les_miserables/28/

One of the best books i've ever read. But read it in french mon ami

Has some of the most poignant moments in literature. Cossette and the bucket of water made me choke up.

Never read it, but I love the musical. Saw it live not too long ago, cried like a bitch.

Fuck, I hate Eppieboppers.

The interludes were interesting on their own, but didn't add anything to the plot. Waterloo was goat, though i skipped the sewers and read them after finishing the book.

Valjean had the sickest plot armor.

One of the best books I've read. Some passages had gripped me harder than any other book. It has some of the most memorable characters in literature. It's great for studying French because it's language isn't too advanced. It's a tour de force and a must read for anyone interested in literature. HOWEVER, it's chock full of seemingly interminable digressions, such as a 50 page portion about the battle of waterloo, a detailed explanation about French nunneries, and an outline of Paris' sewer system. Nearly a whole third of the book could be removed without degrading the novel's quality.

>HOWEVER, it's chock full of seemingly interminable digressions, such as a 50 page portion about the battle of waterloo, a detailed explanation about French nunneries, and an outline of Paris' sewer system. Nearly a whole third of the book could be removed without degrading the novel's quality.

The digressions are just as important as the rest of the book. You can't just remove the Waterloo section, which is absolutely incredible anyway so why would you ? The infamous sewer chapter is pretty bad but getting to know Hugo's thoughts on the historical events of his time is fascinating.

he just wants everyone to be clear what year it is 20XX

>Tax on windows

Wut?

It's like seeing a bald eagle take flight or like hearing a whale song for the first time. It's fucking beautiful.

Out Candian french immersion French class had us read it, along with several other classics(Cyrano de Bergerac, La Civilisation, ma Mère!..., and something else I can't remeber). I picked up a french version when we had a class trip to France, mostly just to have, I didn't plan on reading it desu. I loved Cyrano de Bergerac when we read it and it became one of my favourite books. I thought it couldn't be topped. Then we did Les Misérables. It didn't beat it, but I nearly cried and I actually ended up reading the full two volume french version I had on my shelf. Fucking amazing piece of art.

Hugo loves his details

Before window taxes the government sent people into your house to check on things and tax you accordingly. The window tax was put in place because it was considered a fair, even progressive alternative where taxmen didn't have to enter to assess.