Just finished this book, interested in reading more Murakami. 2 things:

Just finished this book, interested in reading more Murakami. 2 things:
Are there any Murakami books you guys would suggest? I wanna try IQ84 but I'm open to suggestions.
For those of you who have read this book, what was your take on it? I'd lie if I wasn't a bit confused/conflicted with the ending.

Murakami is a hack.

Am I a pleb for having read no Murakami outside of The Strange Library, which was supposed to be YA if I remember?

I have After the Quake but I never got around to reading it.

Murakami is trash, just read whatever, all books are the same.

>muh ambigious supernatural
>muh jazz
>muh whiskey
>muh various "obscure" pop references

+

ooo lad, After the Quake is great

1Q84 is pretty bad
Windup Bird and Norwegian Wood are entertaining enough and the former is indicative of all the rest of his work

1q84 is not worth the read. Too long and some parts of the story dont make sens at all. I really liked Kafka On the Shore and Norwegain Woods. Windup Bird Chronicle is also really nice but it can get confusing at times.

The way Kafka On the Shore is written is amazing. The way the plots comes to getter is magnificent. Would advise reading this one. Norwegian Woods is a also good story the way Murakami puts his personage together is always enjoyable.

I've only read Kafka on the Shore and I thought it was okay.

You can try it.

This man in my country, he is nothing.

Norwegian Wood is comfy but a shallow YA read, pretty much. Windup Bird Chronicle is wacky and fun, but I felt a little long and you can see some similarities in his plots and characters if you read that book and probably any of his others.

He's an easy breezy read, you probably wouldn't be making any bigger a mistake if you chose to read any one of his books if you decided to read him at all.

The ending to all of Murakami's books are relatively inconclusive and ambiguous. You're left to fill in the blanks yourself, but I am personally a sucker for ambiguity. I would definitely read "1Q84" as it's one of my favorite books and I'm not ashamed to say so. I know some aren't partial to his style, but it fits in nicely with mine.

His most popular and widely acclaimed novel is "Wind Up Bird Chronicle," and "Norwegian Wood" is a promising read as well.

IQ84 is great, however, the loose ends in IQ18 are about 10 timees more frustrating then in colourless tskuru tazaki, the plot is less engaging but still great.
The final part of the book (like 300 pages i think) is extremely uneventful and frustrating.
Overall, It's a great book but fuck its annoying how many loose, unexplained ends there are. I know that Murakamis thing and its deliberate but shits annoying because the story is so engaging that you want to know what happens.

1Q84 is one of his worst. his last three novels are far and away the worst things he's done in his career somehow. Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Dance Dance Dance, and Hard-Boiled Wonderland are his A+++ masterpieces, but basically everything he did prior to After Dark is great as far as this type of literature goes.

the ending of Tsukru Tazaki is pretty much in line with how he ends most of his novels. Don't really sure what else to say other than that these endings are tied into the larger themes he deals with, etc.

I've read South of the Border, Norwegian Wood, Colorless, Wind-Up Bird, and am just starting After Dark and either Kafka or Hard-Boiled.

(I dunno, I keep reading him one after the other..his books are easier to read than the other stuff on my plate so I read him as I try to sleep.)

Anyway, I recommend Wind-Up Bird and South of the Border. IMO those were the best, and Colorless is like a better Norwegian Wood but South of the Border is the best of that sort of story (more of a plain love story, not magical) from Murakami.

I love 1Q84, it's comfy as fuck and really pleasant to read. But I've been reading it for nearly a year now - the last few hundred pages fizzle out into nothing. I still love it, and it's still one of my favourite novels, I just don't care about how it ends. Does that make sense?

No.

>Reading a book for a whole year.
>A YEAR.

Hello plebo.

Hard Boiled Wonderland is god tier literature and I'll fight any faggot who says otherwise

Ishiguro is a fan of Murakami, what is your deal against him?

>Ishiguro is a fan of Murakami

Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from this revelation. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is he a fan of Memeakami? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Ishiguro to win the Nobel Prize and save literature. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought he was writing patrician fiction???? This is so fucked

>I love 1Q84
discarded

Ch-chill out desi senpai, we can work out of this. Life has so much more to offer...

>its a murakami describes the books protagonist as average looking, not smart and having no real special qualities, yet during the book, he has 2-3 girls fall in love with him

Underrated post.

I still enjoy his work though.

Tengo was described as handsome in 1Q84, but with the personality of a sperg.

The only thing of his I've read was After Dark. But I liked it.

I just couldn't get into Norwegian Wood, which was the other one I tried. But I don't dislike him as an author.